Doug Whaley 1-on-1

Well you're right, Doug sucks at handling the media. He isn't a finished product many GMs typically have. I hope Pegulas will convince him to do more media training. This is part of it, so that's great.

Terry Pegula kinda sucks at it too, so I'm sure he can relate.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why some people draw such negative reactions to this. Guess they're the ones who have the issue. Nothing wrong with Whaley. And, the media training is a crock of ****!!! The media is so !@#$ing overrated as to what they think they're importance is. The only problem Whaley has is he hasn't gotten to the playoffs, but he will.

Specifically what is propaganda? Let's hear it.

When an organization needs to reshape the public image/message of itself when that image as been damaged, it produces such an interview where the "damaged" individual is allowed to answer predetermined questions by an organization employee in a controlled setting with no chance for going off script or failing to answer appropriately.

This is what propaganda is. There is no chance for the public, though a free press to ask its own questions. Whaley may as well have just read a 6+ minute statement touching on the new HC, TT and the upcoming/draft/season, etc.

When the Allies called Goebbels a propagandist, he never asked "which part was propaganda?

.So what?

So what? Just call it what is, that's all. No harm in pointing this out, and it can't be credibly denied.

I don't know why some people draw such negative reactions to this. Guess they're the ones who have the issue. Nothing wrong with Whaley. And, the media training is a crock of ****!!! The media is so !@#$ing overrated as to what they think they're importance is. The only problem Whaley has is he hasn't gotten to the playoffs, but he will.

Come out Terry!!

When an organization needs to reshape the public image/message of itself when that image as been damaged, it produces such an interview where the "damaged" individual is allowed to answer predetermined questions by an organization employee in a controlled setting with no chance for going off script or failing to answer appropriately.

This is what propaganda is. There is no chance for the public, though a free press to ask its own questions. Whaley may as well have just read a 6+ minute statement touching on the new HC, TT and the upcoming/draft/season, etc.

When the Allies called Goebbels a propagandist, he never asked "which part was propaganda?

So what? Just call it what is, that's all. No harm in pointing this out, and it can't be credibly denied.

Come out Terry!!

Goebbels!!! Really, GTH.

Come out Terry!!

Total Horse Hockey WEO nonsense!

"which part?"

All of it. Whaley touched on the thought process they used to find the new coach, how they'll come to a decision on Tyrod, and what to expect in 2017. Your interpretation of this as some kind of Nazi propaganda is just silly fantasized WEO bull ****.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

All of it. Whaley touched on the thought process they used to find the new coach, how they'll come to a decision on Tyrod, and what to expect in 2017. Your interpretation of this as some kind of Nazi propaganda is just silly fantasized WEO bull ****.

Yes, he did all of that, answering questions that were subject headings.

Look, if you want to believe that was an interview between a reporter and the Bills GM, good for you, and I'm sure they are happy you bring all of their packaged product for dissemination here. But it is what it is.

I like how you bit on the "Nazi propaganda" though (I wasn't likening either of those two to Goebbels, by the way).

Although WEO didn't technically trigger Godwin's Law, we're getting real close. I will say that this was probably the most coherent, intelligent Whaley I've ever seen. No doubt that's related to the fact that it was a friendly interview with no tough questions, but that's what Brown is there to do ... And yes, it is propaganda too, or if you prefer, "spin."

Yes, he did all of that, answering questions that were subject headings.

Look, if you want to believe that was an interview between a reporter and the Bills GM, good for you, and I'm sure they are happy you bring all of their packaged product for dissemination here. But it is what it is.

I like how you bit on the "Nazi propaganda" though (I wasn't likening either of those two to Goebbels, by the way).

It ain't what you say it is. WEO on my man. It's what you do.

They are two Bills employees pretending to be conducting an objective press-like interview in order to provide damage control..to correct the message.

You realize, that is just your opinion, right?

Edited by Fixxxer

It ain't what you say it is. WEO on my man. It's what you do.

26, at this point Whaley has become a polarizing figure. You won't change the haters. Since Whaley will be in it for the long haul, time will tell who is right.

Terry Pegula kinda sucks at it too, so I'm sure he can relate.

Yeah he struggles with public speaking for sure. But you know what, that's what makes me like him even more. Instead of depicting him as a blubbering idiot (not saying you are) for me it humanizes him. He's an endearing person and he's trying to build a family like atmosphere and a culture of continuity. He's mentioned it multiple times. Unfortunately in the football business if you don't win - you can't follow through with that. But I'll tell you that if a coach wants a place that if you produce you'll get treated very well - this is the place. It's the reason I know Buffalo is an attractive place to be and it's because of the Pegula's.

The reason for interviews like in this thread - is evidence they want us to feel better as fans. The reality is some fans want to hear these interviews and feel better, some fans will bash the crap out of it, and others just know what it is - aren't bothered by it - and just want to win. The common denominator is we all want to win. That includes the fans and the team. The owners know we've been through hell supporting this team but they also realize they've only owned the team for 2 years so they're not responsible for all of it. There's nothing wrong with them caring about that and at the same time not accepting responsibility for it.

Edited by Triple Threat

26, at this point Whaley has become a polarizing figure. You won't change the haters. Since Whaley will be in it for the long haul, time will tell who is right.

I don't think it has anything to do with Whaley polarizing, moreso that after his disastrous presser we've seen all kinda of damage control. Like Terry giving two exclusive interviews in a week to clear things up. And then this "interview" by a Bills shill. That's all.

Has nothing to do with Whaley's W and L column. Just PR.

No doubt he is. But raising phony issues with a standard interview after a new coach has been hired just because some have displeasure with Whaley deserves to be called out for what it is. He certainly deserves scrutiny for any moves he's made to this point and any future moves. The blow it up, we want a czar people obviously didn't get what they wanted but why should everyone else be subjected to their bitching and moaning in every thread every time his name is mentioned?

As you intimated, he'll either succeed or fail on his own merits moving forward.

Well I half agree with you there. I've been following bills for a long time. Whaley has done a better job of finding talent than so many GMs since the superbowl teams. the LB in the probowl is an indication of his group's ability to find that talent. What he hasn't done as good a job is in the PR department - managing the media relationships and the fanbase expectations.

His and Russ's mistake was to start talking about playoffs back in Marrone's days when they first took over essentially. It didn't help because this team never had a good talent base at that time to start talking about it. It's better to keep expectations low and exceed them little by little.

But managing the media relationship is a big part of the job. If you guys haven't noticed, Toronto teams for the last 15 years have just plain SUCKED. Jays, Raps, TFC, and the perrenial Losers (Leafs) despite having constant filled stadiums and some of the most profitable team operations around (heck owning toronto teams was like printing money no matter what the product was. Even pension funds bought them for a time, then sold at a huge profit bec of negative publicity).

Fan base frustrations got better (despite lack of results) when they got GMs and team management who were better at communicating with the media and managing fan base expectations.

And, that change did come at HUGE expense - they brought in some of the most expensive management teams in professional leagues, paid those execs like star players. And those guys managed the fanbase patience while the teams kept losing until they had time to mature and become winners in the last 3 years. But Toronto teams print money. season tickets are always sold out despite losing teams. Big corporate base to buy all the box seats they had and more.

I'm not sure that Bills financial situation is as good as the Toronto sports team's cash flow situation so, you aren't going to get the most polished execs. Remember this is still a BUSINESS. But Whaley's performance as a manager of playing talent is a vast improvement over the prior GMs since the superbowl years. He needs media polishing. He should have done his bosses a favour by trying his best to explain the firing. He has to learn that favours come first. By saying it like is, you know he's being up front and honest with the media and fan base. He's too simple and rough around the edges to be the face of the franchise. That's his weakness but it isn't a fatal flaw. That's why he still has a job for now.

Yeah he struggles with public speaking for sure. But you know what, that's what makes me like him even more. Instead of depicting him as a blubbering idiot (not saying you are) for me it humanizes him. He's an endearing person and he's trying to build a family like atmosphere and a culture of continuity. He's mentioned it multiple times. Unfortunately in the football business if you don't win - you can't follow through with that. But I'll tell you that if a coach wants a place that if you produce you'll get treated very well - this is the place. It's the reason I know Buffalo is an attractive place to be and it's because of the Pegula's.

I definitely wasn't criticizing Pegula for it. I was just pointing out the fact that it's a struggle for him as it is for his GM and it may be a reason for empathy in just that regard as evidenced by Pegula's comment that he wasn't worried about Whaley winning press conferences.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz