McDermott in regards to Tyrod

If McD knows what a winner looks like, TT will stay. That's all he does. Just win.

Just give him some semblance of a D, OL, and and an offensive scheme. In 2016 we had 1 of 3.

Really, what's he won?

Games when trailing by 4 at any point? Nope

Games requiring a 4th qtr drive to win? Nope

2 minute drill to win a game at the end? Nope

Win games against teams with winning records? Nope

Win games with his arm? Nope

Win games with his brain? Nope

Win enough games to get his team into the playoffs? Nope

Almost wins don't count, when "just win" is said.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like establish a relationship so he feels obligated to give you a quick answer one way or another.

His agent will start talking to prospective teams right after the Super Bowl and I'm sure they would like to know for sure well in advance of free agency

He and his agent will be scanning the market to see what their options are regardless if they are given assurances or not. If Whaley is convinced that TT isn't a viable short or long term option at qb he will be told so sooner. However, I don't think that is the case. What are Whaley's qb options without TT? What free agent or trade possibility will bring in a qb that is better than TT? I don't see any? If you do I would like to know. If a qb is drafted in the first round would it be smart to immediately start him? I don't believe so.

There is pressure on Whaley to win now. McDermott certainly would prefer being in a position to have a qb who gives him a better chance to succeed in his first season than going with a pedestrian free agent qb or a rookie qb.

As others have said, including you, if you add a good receiver or two and if you strengthen the RT position thus improving the pass blocking you will be putting our current qb in a better position to succeed.

The financial commitment to TT is not onerous. It is basically a two year commitment at a mid-level starting qb price. When your best option is your best option then you go with your best option. Sometimes when one over thinks a problem/issue one ends up outsmarting oneself.

In the actual presser (transcript here) McDermott said "we talked on the phone yesterday and I appreciate his willingness to reach out." That wording "willingness to reach out" about a phone call usually means "he called me".

McDermott also said something about players "a number of whom are here today", so evidently a number of players came to see the presser/meet the coach. I don't think you can conclude that McDermott asked him to come or went out of his way to talk to Taylor. They may have had all the players who came in an area so the coach could individually meet him. He also said he was going to call every player. That's the kind of guy our new HC is.

Call me crazy, but I don't understand why people are so eager to disbelieve what's said. The owner said Taylor's future is still to be evaluated. The GM said Taylor had a tremendous year, they hadn't lost confidence in him, and they will evaluate Taylor along with the new HC. The HC said let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're going to evaluate all the players.

It sounds to me as though no decision has been made on Taylor by anyone, and they're going to evaluate him along with the rest of the players before making a decision.

in some cases you cant believe what your told but its been pretty consistent and honestly common sense here. we dont even have an OC, and have only had a HC for about 5 minutes. we might have initial opinions but itd be silly to have stone cold decisions here.

and the reaching out part i totally agree with.

On any given Sunday, I think Tyrod is about 50th percentile. That might not be a great test score but it is when I look at the available options next year. I see none better than our current QB. All QB options are either not significantly better, are high injury risks, will cost draft picks and/or are short-term options. And there is zero guarantee any great prospect will be available during draft.

If the defense was at 50th percentile, I believe the Bills could have won as many as 4-5 more games.

Therefore, pay the man. IF a QB draft pick of good potential falls to Buffalo, select them as well, but I think we will all regret not holding on to TT.

He and his agent will be scanning the market to see what their options are regardless if they are given assurances or not. If Whaley is convinced that TT isn't a viable short or long term option at qb he will be told so sooner. However, I don't think that is the case. What are Whaley's qb options without TT? What free agent or trade possibility will bring in a qb that is better than TT? I don't see any? If you do I would like to know. If a qb is drafted in the first round would it be smart to immediately start him? I don't believe so.

There is pressure on Whaley to win now. McDermott certainly would prefer being in a position to have a qb who gives him a better chance to succeed in his first season than going with a pedestrian free agent qb or a rookie qb.

As others have said, including you, if you add a good receiver or two and if you strengthen the RT position thus improving the pass blocking you will be putting our current qb in a better position to succeed.

The financial commitment to TT is not onerous. It is basically a two year commitment at a mid-level starting qb price. When your best option is your best option then you go with your best option. Sometimes when one over thinks a problem/issue one ends up outsmarting oneself.

I believe Whaley bought himself a couple more years. Seems like someone sold the Pegula's that Rex and EJ were not his decisions. Since Tyrod was someone Rex wanted Whaley moving on from him to bring in his own QB is a natural response. New Coach and QB kicks this down the road and buys him 2-3 more years IMO. For us fans this is more lather rinse repeat. We need to hope is McDermott is a diamond in the rough.

I can totally understand why some fans want to see the team move on from Tyrod, but the question is: Who's his replacement?

I don't see anybody in free agency except maybe Romo who would be an improvement. And even if Romo wanted to come here, he's a huge risk. He was having a hard time staying healthy behind the Cowboys line, and they're one of the best if not the best line in the league. Huge price tag also. And the QB's coming out for the draft will not be ready to start for a quite a while, if they make it at all.

Cardale is a project that they could build on, but he's going to struggle if they try to start him next year.

I think they're going to go with Tyrod because he's the best available.

Edited by gobillsinytown

Really, what's he won?

Games when trailing by 4 at any point? Nope

Games requiring a 4th qtr drive to win? Nope

2 minute drill to win a game at the end? Nope

Win games against teams with winning records? Nope

Win games with his arm? Nope

Win games with his brain? Nope

Win enough games to get his team into the playoffs? Nope

Almost wins don't count, when "just win" is said.

This should cover every one of your questions. And before you say, "not against NFL talent", on both throws Nodomakong Suh was hanging on him.

Edited by moshermw

I believe Whaley bought himself a couple more years. Seems like someone sold the Pegula's that Rex and EJ were not his decisions. Since Tyrod was someone Rex wanted Whaley moving on from him to bring in his own QB is a natural response. New Coach and QB kicks this down the road and buys him 2-3 more years IMO. For us fans this is more lather rinse repeat. We need to hope is McDermott is a diamond in the rough.

I disagree with your analysis. TT may have been acquired because of Rex and Whaley may not be enamored with him. But he still gives this team the best chance to win.. Where I fundamentally disagree with you is that I believe that there is immediate pressure on Whaley to get this this team on track. Floundering for another year or so will get the GM dispatched before his contract runs out. The one thing we know about Terry Pegula is that he is not afraid to eat a contract in order to make a change.

#1 - the fact that a new coach had a brief meet & greet with the current starting QB who presumably is still using the facilities to rehab is no indication one way or the other of future intentions.

#2- having said that, I came away with the impression McDermott already knows the bills are moving on from TT.

Tyrod is not a very good passer, leaves a lot of plays on the field, completely under utilizes our WRs & TEs, even when he has a few healthy ones on the field, has an ineffective RB passing game with the best pass catching RB in the league, has way too many three and outs, and is incapable of leading 4th quarter comebacks.

But has everyone forgotten what our QB play and offense was like before Tyrod? We were a joke. Until someone steps up or comes on board that can play better we need Tyrod back.

If McD turns the D around but our offense stinks we will be 6-10 or 7-9 again and again.

On any given Sunday, I think Tyrod is about 50th percentile. That might not be a great test score but it is when I look at the available options next year. I see none better than our current QB. All QB options are either not significantly better, are high injury risks, will cost draft picks and/or are short-term options. And there is zero guarantee any great prospect will be available during draft.

If the defense was at 50th percentile, I believe the Bills could have won as many as 4-5 more games.

Therefore, pay the man. IF a QB draft pick of good potential falls to Buffalo, select them as well, but I think we will all regret not holding on to TT.

Agree. Only clear upgrade would be Cousins but im sure the Skins will re-sign him, they have no one better on roster or in FA and didnt do bad enough to have a high draft pick rookie.

Tyrod is not a very good passer, leaves a lot of plays on the field, completely under utilizes our WRs & TEs, even when he has a few healthy ones on the field, has an ineffective RB passing game with the best pass catching RB in the league, has way too many three and outs, and is incapable of leading 4th quarter comebacks.

But has everyone forgotten what our QB play and offense was like before Tyrod? We were a joke. Until someone steps up or comes on board that can play better we need Tyrod back.

If McD turns the D around but our offense stinks we will be 6-10 or 7-9 again and again.

Tyrod for all his flaws helps this team puts up point by being a dual threat. You might not like his style of play but we scored our most points in the 2 seasons hes been here since the 90s and the rare 2004 Bledsoe season. Would be stupid to let him go for anyone on that FA list. Landry is the only one because of the upside he might have but that is still an unknown variable rite now. I think Whaley might be trying to trade for AJ McCarron that would be a slick move too.

This should cover every one of your questions. And before you say, "not against NFL talent", on both throws Nodomakong Suh was hanging on him.

So the guy is going into his 7th year NFL and you have to go back to his junior year in college to find a comeback? Against a defense that had 3 draft picks(1st, 4th, 5th rounds) the next draft. Really! You can't be serious.

Wow, sign me up.

Edited by old school

In the actual presser (transcript here) McDermott said "we talked on the phone yesterday and I appreciate his willingness to reach out." That wording "willingness to reach out" about a phone call usually means "he called me".

McDermott also said something about players "a number of whom are here today", so evidently a number of players came to see the presser/meet the coach. I don't think you can conclude that McDermott asked him to come or went out of his way to talk to Taylor. They may have had all the players who came in an area so the coach could individually meet him. He also said he was going to call every player. That's the kind of guy our new HC is.

Call me crazy, but I don't understand why people are so eager to disbelieve what's said. The owner said Taylor's future is still to be evaluated. The GM said Taylor had a tremendous year, they hadn't lost confidence in him, and they will evaluate Taylor along with the new HC. The HC said let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're going to evaluate all the players.

It sounds to me as though no decision has been made on Taylor by anyone, and they're going to evaluate him along with the rest of the players before making a decision.

Good post. Makes sense

New Bills coach Sean McDermott spoke on the phone with Tyrod Taylor Thursday and met with the quarterback for a few minutes before his introductory press conference Friday at One Bills Drive.

"Fine young man," McDermott said. "I remember going against Tyrod a little bit in the preseason, Ive watched him in crossover tape, so I know the skill set, I know what he brings to the table."

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-cool-tyrod-taylors-future-bills/

Let me preface by saying I am a 100% Tyrod supporter. However, I find it interesting that Tyrod was actually at the building on the day of McDermotts press conference. According to McDermott they spoke over the phone first and then they actually meet eachother right before he goes out and talks to the media.

Now call me crazy, but why would a coach who isn't a supporter of Tyrod go out of his way to talk to the man ? I find it hard to believe that Tyrod being in the building was just a coincidence, so McDermott must have asked him to come. I think its telling that McDermott, a guy who talked at his press conference about building a strong relationship with his players, went out of his way to talk to Tyrod. It was the first thing he did after he was given the job. If were moving on from Tyrod, why would he do this? I'll tell you why. Because Tyrod is a veteran leader on the team who commands the respect from all our other players and McDermott is no fool. We burned Tyrod bad at the end of the season and have done nothing to give him assurances he is in our plans. I think McDermott changed that today.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcdermott-cool-tyrod-taylors-future-bills/

This says to me Whaley is going to be gone sooner rather than later. Pegs can't afford, metaphorically speaking, to reboot at HC in two years and that is what will happen if Whaley tries to force his 53 on McDermott. Whaley's ego will get in the way and when he butts heads with Coach, Kim is going to have to pick one kid or the other.

So the guy is going into his 7th year NFL and you have to go back to his junior year in college to find a comeback? Against a defense that had 3 draft picks(1st, 4th, 5th rounds) the next draft. Really! You can't be serious.

Wow, sign me up.

You did say, ever. And he's only started two years. And has comeback in those two years.

Bigger point is did we ever run either of these plays when trying to comeback ? Notice the glaring lack of a reverse to a back-up RB, no QB draw into a D that - along with everyone else in the building - knew was coming ? and the seed he threw long on a D that wasn't expecting it ?

We never do this.

I disagree with your analysis. TT may have been acquired because of Rex and Whaley may not be enamored with him. But he still gives this team the best chance to win.. Where I fundamentally disagree with you is that I believe that there is immediate pressure on Whaley to get this this team on track. Floundering for another year or so will get the GM dispatched before his contract runs out. The one thing we know about Terry Pegula is that he is not afraid to eat a contract in order to make a change.

I much rather you are right than I. We shall see.

First it was wait until there is a HC to make a decision on TT, now it is wait until there is an OC to decide on TT. What's next? Wait until there is a new QB coach?

IMO, a new coach isn't going to hitch his wagon to a very limited, expensive, "the other guys holdover" QB. He's going to want his own, they all do unless the new coach is inheriting a stud QB.

If TT is kept and doesn't fit well for 2 or 3 (that's what his contract dictates) years then what? Is McDermott toast? Does McDermott get more time because the QB let him down? I don't think it's a situation McDermott wants to put himself in. I think he would be more comfortable going with the unknown at QB.

The way everything has transpired, I can't see TT being the QB going forward. I think TPegs and DW already made that decision weeks and weeks ago. I think their actions and rumors the past few weeks have said as much.

IMO of course.

you hope