Best & Worst of the 77th annual Oscars

Mark Vader

Rock made a joke about Jude Law since he has been in so many movies recently.

A little later, Rock brought out two big African-American guys who he said where his accountants, the kind that break legs when you are late paying off debts.

Penn then took offense at Rock's comments about Law.

Rock responded, my accountants want to talk to you.

Given that Rock was making fun of himself as well as other actors, Penn was really off base there.

255562[/snapback]

If he really wanted to make Penn mad he should have said,

"Hey Spicolli, make yourself useful and go fetch me a pizza."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Rock's performance, especially the "slams" on Hollywood celebs.

"Soon to be appearing in the eagerly-anticipated Catwoman 2, here's Halle Berry."

"The first woman in history to give birth to an apple, here's Gwyneth Paltrow" :blink:

I only wish they would've shown some of the individual's reactions after being slammed like they did when he hosted the MTV Awards, those were great.... Much like that awards show, I doubt the Academy brings him back next year, too bad.

"Soon to be appearing in the eagerly-anticipated Catwoman 2, here's Halle Berry."

"The first woman in history to give birth to an apple, here's Gwyneth Paltrow" :blink:

I only wish they would've shown some of the individual's reactions after being slammed like they did when he hosted the MTV Awards, those were great.... Much like that awards show, I doubt the Academy brings him back next year, too bad.

255579[/snapback]

I hope they do bring him back. He still has a few payments to go on his car and could use the gig.

I hope they do bring him back.  He still has a few payments to go on his car and could use the gig.

255584[/snapback]

Another Rock-related note...

While the credits rolled, I also saw the great Lance Crouther aka Pootie Tang at the head of the contributing writer's list! Sa da tay! :blink:

255579[/snapback]

The slams were hysterical last night, and as much as I like Rock's comedy, the reality is Oscar comedy...particularly the opening... is better when it's more targeted toward the movies from the past year like Billy Crystal used to do.

Also...I read this morning that Sean Penn is apparently in a movie with Jude Law right now and that's why he didn't want Rock bustin' Law's nuts like that in primetime.

The slams were hysterical last night, and as much as I like Rock's comedy, the reality is Oscar comedy...particularly the opening... is better when it's more targeted toward the movies from the past year like Billy Crystal used to do.

Also...I read this morning that Sean Penn is apparently in a movie with Jude Law right now and that's why he didn't want Rock bustin' Law's nuts like that in primetime.

255596[/snapback]

I don't know about Jude Law, but Colin Farrell sure had that coming! :blink:

255596[/snapback]

Well Sean can expect his nuts to be a roasten in Rock's next HBO special. I guess Rock should have realized that you should not make fun of great looking famous people who make millions of dollars for a living. You know Penn was clapping and cheering during the Bush jokes though.

Why not?

255620[/snapback]

He's being a bit of a panty waist if he's eager to be offended by someone making fun of so-called "beautiful" people, yet would most definetly relish in someone taking shots at our President. Not being pro-Bush here, just making the point that his own skin is razor thin when someone started taking pot shots at his stupid profession.

There were many good speeches. I really liked Foxx's. Morgan Freeman might be one of the coolest people on the planet. All the winners were gracious and funny as well. There were no embarrassments either in behavior or clothing. Chris Rock did a fine job. I think he missed the mark by jabbing at Jude Law, but he was self deprecating too, so his jokes worked. He could use some polishing, but I think he could host again. The clips of Carson hosting really made you long for a guy like that to do it again. But he was one of a kind.

It was a faster ceremony than most. That was a big plus. On the whole, it wasn't a very remarkable ceremony and it wasn't over the top, but I liked it though. One major pls- very few political rants. I can't stand that.

I didn't like the musical performances. I thought that was lame and if you noticed when the cameras panned at the end of each song there were A LOT of empty seats.

255937[/snapback]

I agree 100%. I think they need to get rid of the musical performances. Give the extra minutes to the people they hand the statues to. It's downright embarrassing when they play music to get the people off the stage. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to ramble, but if Clint Eastwood wants to take 5 minutes to say some interesting and poignant things, by all means let him. It's like if the halftime show at the Super Bowl became more important than the actual game.

He's being a bit of a panty waist if he's eager to be offended by someone making fun of so-called "beautiful" people, yet would most definetly relish in someone taking shots at our President. Not being pro-Bush here, just making the point that his own skin is razor thin when someone started taking pot shots at his stupid profession.

255678[/snapback]

Sean Penn does provide an important service to our society.

The man is paid to pretend for a living.

Whoever might think that Rock was too over the top never saw the ESPY awards when Norm McDonald hosted.

He didn't pull any punches. I forget who won the Heisman that year, but whoever it was, Norm said "You won the Heisman... they can never take that away from you. Well, unless you kill your wife and a waiter". He then said "John Elway, you won the super bowl, you have tons of money. Isn't it about time you took some of that cash and had those teeth filed down?" ... Then, Norm from Cheers came driving out on a golf cart, and accidentally hit a pillar on the stage. Norm McDonald said "Man, who taught you how to drive, John Daley?"

This went on and on. It was almost uncomfortable to watch, because they cut to Elway when he said that, and every joke where the "butt of the joke" was present, they cut to them.

I, of course, loved it. But it was 1000 times worse that Rocks little speech last night.