Sean McDermott's Introductory Presser on 1/13/17 at 2 PM ET

Does it concern anyone else how poor of a public speaker Terry Pegula is.

Whether it's an appearance on WGR radio or opening a press conference today, I've found him to be pretty brutal.

A part of me believes that ones ability to communicate gives you a little insight on ones intelligence and ability to asses other people, and I just wonder if Pegulas total ineptitude when it comes to public communication means anything.

Have to love the irony of questioning someone's intelligence in the same sentence that "assess" is misspelled "asses."

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is some sort of misconception around here that anyone with a lot of money is fabulously intelligent.

As someone who has been around a lot of very wealthy people in a professional context for a long time, I can assure you that is often not the case.

In my experience, I would say the qualities universally shared among people like Pegula are an unusual willingness to take risk, unwavering persistence, and desire to work really hard. Raw intelligence often doesn't enter into it, nor need it, though sometimes it does, of course.

I have to disagree with your opinion on the Pegulas, if that is what you are suggesting.

Having four super smart kids, they are all very weak in some areas. Often times folks just will never speak well regardless of what is going on in the brain

As part of my job, I "speak" in public. I am an attorney.

While I think that being able to speak articulately is a sign of intelligence, I do not think that NOT being able to do so is a sign of LACK of intelligence.

I know some VERY smart people who also are socially awkward and uncomfortable. Moreover, I remember seeing a list of the things that people fear in life and (as I recall) public speaking ranked higher than getting cancer.

It would be a HUGE mistake to judge Terry's intelligence based on whether he is a gifted public speaker.

Edited by Peter

Whether it's an appearance on WGR radio or opening a press conference today, I've found him to be pretty brutal.

A part of me believes that ones ability to communicate gives you a little insight on ones intelligence and ability to asses other people, and I just wonder if Pegulas total ineptitude when it comes to public communication means anything.

The ability to speak in public means very little with regards to intelligence. Some of the smartest people I've ever met have had social anxiety or severe speech impediments. I think you would be surprised at how off-base your statement is.

Once this country moved from a production/goods economic model to a services model the ability to be articulate and to "sell" became outrageously overvalued. The ability to "sell" or speak well in public does not directly correlate to intelligence.

Edited by ndirish1978

He's a self-made billionaire for cripe's sake. I think he has the intelligence part covered.

On GR, McDermott said one of the first things he is going to do, starting today, is to reach out to all of the players and call them individually. In the press conference he said he spoke to Tyrod on the phone yesterday. There is virtually no chance that Tyrod called him, versus him calling Tyrod. That, to me, is a very clear indication he is very open to having TT back.

unless I don't remember correctly, I thought he said TT called him?

Doug Whaley in charge of the 53 gives me the chills. I thought McDermott acquitted himself well. If this team needs one cultural change, it's to make players earn their position, not just in the pre-season, but from regular season game to game regardless of their pay grade. Can't make tackles, can't block? Have a seat. Can't abide the system or take the time to learn its complexities? Thanks for being on the team, good luck in the future somewhere else.

Clearly, some of the players on the team, including Tyrod, recognized that not everyone on the field was all in this ssason. These players won in college but seem entirely too comfortable with losing. It's great to "put people in a position to win," which is a great cliche for any coach. But, if the players don't execute, don't tackle, don't block, don't make the progressions, any coach is hamstrung. This isn't a defense of ClusterRex. Just sayin' we need to dispose of players who can't or won't do their job. If you're looking to clear up cap space to pay our free agents like Zach Brown or Alexander, time to take out the garbage.