QB: trade value

Fixxxer

After reading Scheffter "news", that Tyrod Taylor might not be in the Bills long term plans I was searching for other teams QBs, to see, first who would be a viable option to QB this team going forwards and second how much would it take to bring them in.

Obviously, this is not a long list, it wil be interesting to see what would you be willing to trade for these QBs:

Tony Romo, signed through to 2019 with a base salary of 18.000.000 (average), will will turn 33 next year.

AJ McCarron, signed through to 2017, still in his rookie deal (5th rounder), age: 26

Colt McCoy, signed through to with a base salary of 3.000.000 (average), age 29

Other possibilities in FA would be Matt Barkley or Brian Hoyer The Bears have nothing at QB, so they might re-sign Barkley to be their starter next year.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't trade for any of these guys. Dallas is not going to trade Romo, as he will count as 19.6 million in dead cap money for 2017. They're already paying him for 2017, why not keep him as a back-up for DP?

As for the other guys, are you talking about trading for them to be our back-up QB? If not...

I wouldn't trade for any of these guys. Dallas is not going to trade Romo, as he will count as 19.6 million in dead cap money for 2017. They're already paying him for 2017, why not keep him as a back-up for DP?

As for the other guys, are you talking about trading for them to be our back-up QB? If not...

That is one expensive back-up, besides I would be inclined to think that he would still like to play in this league.

McCarron is a ?, I would trade for him and promise that he will be given a chance to be the starter in TC.

Oddly, Dallas will likely still part ways with Romo (or possibly rework his deal to a much cheaper salary). It's a huge amount of dead money, but it would actually save them $5.1M against the cap in 2017. That's if he's traded or cut under regular rules. If they cut him and designate him a June 1st cut then $8.9M of dead money would be deferred to 2018. That's $14M that could be freed up for 2017 for a team in dire need of short term cap space. Dallas is currently projected to be $1.7M over the 2017 cap and they have over $115M scheduled to be allocated to the offense. That's unreal. I haven't dug into their contracts, but Romo seems an obvious place to start. He's very, very expensive, getting older and is usually injured.

Oh, I don't want Romo unless he's a free agent and cheap, which is incredibly unlikely. He's just too fragile at this point in his career.

Foles, if he hits the market, would likely be the best of the lot.

Edited by BarleyNY

When will we all get to the reality that Tyrod Taylor is still better than what is available????? :wallbash:

Schedule is harder next year. Not enough doormats to make his numbers look feasible.

Romo all day please. Let's win some games.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/bleacher-report-nfl-draft-lead-writer-matt-miller-discusses-josh/article_969ac113-2bd5-5921-8ca4-7f63bb5a95b3.html

This is mostly on Josh Allen, but also is a general discussion about the college/draft landscape and the QB class this season and next. It's worth a read. Rumors are growing that Allen will come out. If he does, then he could easily be the first QB taken. If you're a Trubisky (or Kizer, or Mahomes, or Watson, etc.) fan, then that's good news because everyone else could get pushed down in the draft. I'm not sold on Allen by any stretch. I see the Wentz comparisons myself, and that's concerning, but it's just such an interesting year for QBs. So many out there, all needing grooming and the right system and development. So much to look at and so much that could go wrong for any or all of them. It'll be cool to see the processes and watch the guy(s) who turn out right and make it. There's a lot to be learned from what's about to transpire.

After reading Scheffter "news", that Tyrod Taylor might not be in the Bills long term plans I was searching for other teams QBs, to see, first who would be a viable option to QB this team going forwards and second how much would it take to bring them in.

Obviously, this is not a long list, it wil be interesting to see what would you be willing to trade for these QBs:

Tony Romo, signed through to 2019 with a base salary of 18.000.000 (average), will will turn 33 next year.

AJ McCarron, signed through to 2017, still in his rookie deal (5th rounder), age: 26

Colt McCoy, signed through to with a base salary of 3.000.000 (average), age 29

Other possibilities in FA would be Matt Barkley or Brian Hoyer The Bears have nothing at QB, so they might re-sign Barkley to be their starter next year.

Most teams don't trade if they can sign a FA of comparable value. Here's a list of 2017 FA QB from Spotrac. As usual, it's a sorry lot.

Here are the four who interest me as possible signings. I would be much happier with any of these four over trading AND paying the guys you list above. Romo is unquestionably a better QB, but he's this years Kolb.

Kirk Cousins. He's playing out his option year. He wants a big payday. The Redskins have not yet signed him. Chances are they will back up the Brinks truck and "get 'er done", but if they don't....Pros: as QB, has played very well by every common metric the last 2 years Cons: he's gonna want a Brinks truck of a contract; the only reason the Redskins would let him go is if he demands more than they can possibly pay, and they have more cap space than we do ($62M).

Brian Hoyer. It's very possible the Bears will try to keep him to compete with whatever QB they can get drafting third, and push Cutler off the raft. He was looking pretty good until he broke his arm - which means he can probably get a bigger payday somewhere else. Of course, there's the question of will he/how quickly will he come back from that broken arm - one would think the non-throwing arm wouldn't be an issue, but good QB use their whole body (not to be confused with throwing with their body) when they throw.

Mike Glennon. Arguably the best of a "bad lot" of QB in the 2013, he's not so good that the Bucs didn't move on from him quickly to Josh McCown (seriously, Lovie? seriously?) then Winston. There will be competition for him.

Landry Jones He fits the "backup" scenario of "must win at least 50%", and could potentially be developed - he's the most attractive "dark horse" QB. He's thrown more than Taylor in the games he's started, but he's also to date thrown more picks. The Steelers have no dead money tied up in Mettenberger, so they may decide to open the bank a bit for Jones, if he doesn't get offers someplace he might start. Whaley should have gouge through contacts at Pittsburgh.

Note that if we get any one of these guys, or someone similar, we had better by-damn upgrade the OL, especially the right side. We have a very good OL for the rush, and a suspect line against the pass. They may be better than Tyrod made them look (he does hang onto the ball, and there's the question of how the passing game was designed), or they may be worse (he can escape so well) - big questionmark.

After Cousins, who will get a huge contract, there is no one I would bring in to compete for the starting QB job. Pure filth.

I disagree. See above. No, these guys aren't "Magical Franchise Man" but they aren't "filth" either.

Trade #1, #2, next year's #1 and #2 for Trubinsky. Or something like that. Enough screwing around with stopgaps.

I thought Whaley should be fired for his habit of trading picks.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

If Romo says he wants to leave to start someplace he'll be gone. JJ does have alot of love for Romo and won't stand in his way. Likely will try and work out a trade to the team he wants to go to. The only way he stays is if he tells JJ I don't want to leave Dallas, I'm OK with being the backup and also OK with re-doing the contract to a more reasonable number. But I'd put my money on him wanting to be a starter someplace.

When will we all get to the reality that Tyrod Taylor is still better than what is available????? :wallbash:

Everyone with any reasonable amount of intelligence has already come to that conclusion.

After Cousins, who will get a huge contract, there is no one I would bring in to compete for the starting QB job. Pure filth.

Yep. And Cousins market value is projected to be about $23.4 million per year if he is signed to a 5 year deal with someone.

He would be way more expensive than Tyrod to the tune of about $7 million more per year. You can upgrade the team at other positions substantially with that extra $7 million.