The Case for Intelligence and Preparation as a Coach

I think we can all agree that QB is our Achilles heel over the past 16 years. We have tried to coach up various QB's...none of whom have been mentored properly either on the field or off (film study). Quite honestly, I don't care how Reich's offense performed in San Diego or in Philly. What I care about is a potential coach's ability to mentor, teach and train a QB who could be here for 8-10 years. Frank Reich has all the experience in the world to do the following:

1) Film study and hard work (see stories below)

2) Played the position and was a "coach" to Jim Kelly (see story) and Phil Rivers and Payton Manning

3) Preparation, preparation, preparation (something we sorely need)

4) Professional and will lend credibility to our franchise

Some may point to his offense in Philly as sub par...honestly, I don't care. He won't be the offensive coordinator here...he'll be the head coach. He will bring in his best offensive and defensive coordinator. He will build a coaching staff based on his years of experience.

This is the right guy.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-01-15/sports/bal-sp.colts15jan15_1_frank-reich-head-coach-jim-caldwell-colts-manning

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/frank-reich-from-comeback-quarterback-to-quarterbacks-coach-1.1742874

http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2010/02/reich_at_peytons_side.html

"The coaches on Maryland's staff, starting with head coach Bobby Ross, always thought Reich was one of the smartest players they had ever coached. And if the Colts win, he'll have the Super Bowl ring he was never able to win in those four trips to the big game with the Buffalo Bills."

I think he would be well received here at least initially.

No matter who gets the gig, the honeymoon - if any - will be shorter than the number of wins his squad will produce.

I mean - he'd have to really bottom out to get fired in 1 year though. Gotta figure the guy we hire is getting a few years unless he's a total train wreck.

I think the folks who derisively dismiss Reich as a nostalgia ploy and then link the idea to Brandon are engaged in lazy cheapshots.

Character and intelligence are excellent qualities in a head coach. Marv Levy has them in spades.

Reich certainly warrants consideration.

Edited by Dr. Who

He seems almost too nice.

"Hey Jerry, if you don't mind, could you please think about not taking a personal foul penalty on this next drive? I know you said it's an emotional game and the refs hate you, and I believe you, but just see if you can maybe just tone it down a pinch. If not a pinch, a smidgen."

- Frank Reich

"Thanks coach..I'll pass your message along to him"

- Kyle Williams

He seems almost too nice.

"Hey Jerry, if you don't mind, could you please think about not taking a personal foul penalty on this next drive? I know you said it's an emotional game and the refs hate you, and I believe you, but just see if you can maybe just tone it down a pinch. If not a pinch, a smidgen."

- Frank Reich

"Thanks coach..I'll pass your message along to him"

- Kyle Williams

Sounds more like what we witnessed with Rex.

By all accounts, Marv was a "nice" guy...but he knew his ****. He was well respected.

I think we can all agree that QB is our Achilles heel over the past 16 years. We have tried to coach up various QB's...none of whom have been mentored properly either on the field or off (film study). Quite honestly, I don't care how Reich's offense performed in San Diego or in Philly. What I care about is a potential coach's ability to mentor, teach and train a QB who could be here for 8-10 years. Frank Reich has all the experience in the world to do the following:

1) Film study and hard work (see stories below)

2) Played the position and was a "coach" to Jim Kelly (see story) and Phil Rivers and Payton Manning

3) Preparation, preparation, preparation (something we sorely need)

4) Professional and will lend credibility to our franchise

Some may point to his offense in Philly as sub par...honestly, I don't care. He won't be the offensive coordinator here...he'll be the head coach. He will bring in his best offensive and defensive coordinator. He will build a coaching staff based on his years of experience.

This is the right guy.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-01-15/sports/bal-sp.colts15jan15_1_frank-reich-head-coach-jim-caldwell-colts-manning

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/frank-reich-from-comeback-quarterback-to-quarterbacks-coach-1.1742874

http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2010/02/reich_at_peytons_side.html

"The coaches on Maryland's staff, starting with head coach Bobby Ross, always thought Reich was one of the smartest players they had ever coached. And if the Colts win, he'll have the Super Bowl ring he was never able to win in those four trips to the big game with the Buffalo Bills."

Smarts are great. But a good coach needs more.

* Leadership skills (has to bring out the best in people)

* Organizational skills (must be able to maximize the practice schedule, etc)

* Evaluation skills (can ID good coaches, good players)

* Communication skills (everything from overarching vision to the details of technique need to be communicated powerfully and clearly)

* Tactical skills (needs to be smart at X's and O's - to a certain extent, a football game is a chess match)

And so on.

I have no way of knowing if Reich has all those skills. His resume suggests he might have some of them.

Smarts are great. But a good coach needs more.

* Leadership skills (has to bring out the best in people)

* Organizational skills (must be able to maximize the practice schedule, etc)

* Evaluation skills (can ID good coaches, good players)

* Communication skills (everything from overarching vision to the details of technique need to be communicated powerfully and clearly)

* Tactical skills (needs to be smart at X's and O's - to a certain extent, a football game is a chess match)

And so on.

I have no way of knowing if Reich has all those skills. His resume suggests he might have some of them.

I'm of the opinion that the HC (in this case Reich) will hire "like minded" coordinators and staff. Once you have a coaching staff that is prepared and sharp, the players will follow suit.

Marv was interviewed the other day and he said there are four keys to a successful coaching staff (starting with the head coach):

1) Preparation

2) Be a straight shooter

3) Draft high character players

4) Have a good relationship with players, front office and coaches

I tend to agree with him on all four. We don't need any Adam Pac Man Jones' on our team and we should start a new team culture: smart players who want to win, who want to perform to their best ability and the coach is where this all starts.