scoring D oak 20th Bills 16th

Passing D Oak 24th Bills 6th

Running D Oak 23rd Bills 29th

Offense:

Overall: Oakland 6th. Bills: 16th

Scoring: Oakland 7th. Bills: 10th

Passing: Oakland 13th Bills: 30th

Rushing: Oakland 6th Bills: 1st

Now this showed me a few startling things. One is you don't need a dominant D to win in the AFC as the Raiders were one win away from having a first round bye. Second you do need to be above average in all areas in at least one side of the ball. Look at Oakland they are just a little above average in passing but have a dominant run game. If (IMO) the Bills want to be a playoff team they MUST improve their passing ranking to average (16th-20th) and they will be a playoff team. I mean that is the ONLY stat that Oakland is significantly ahead of the Bills. (Besides overall O but up the passer rating that goes up to.)

Edited by PatsFanNH

Without unbelievable 4th quarter comebacks, the Raiders could be 8-8 again this year. This is the type of "catch lightning in a bottle" type of thing that is tough to repeat year after year...a lot of teams pull out seemingly every close game one year and then in following years seem to lose them all or fall back to around .500 in them...they aren't going to be able to keep winning like that, eventually that defense has to get better

Without unbelievable 4th quarter comebacks, the Raiders could be 8-8 again this year. This is the type of "catch lightning in a bottle" type of thing that is tough to repeat year after year...a lot of teams pull out seemingly every close game one year and then in following years seem to lose them all or fall back to around .500 in them...they aren't going to be able to keep winning like that, eventually that defense has to get better

My point was if the bills wanted a CHANCE catch the lightning in a bottle they need improve just 10 spots on passing O to have that chance. Let's face it this year a middle of the road passing game makes the Bills a playoff team.

Edited by PatsFanNH

And HOW, pray tell were they able to come back in the 4th Q?

That's right! They had an EFFECTIVE PASSING GAME.

My point was if the bills wanted a CHANCE catch the lightning in a bottle they need improve just 20 spots on passing O to have that chance. Let's face it this year a middle of the road passing game makes the Bills a playoff team.

I don't even think they need to do that..points are points doesn't matter how you score them, and we score a lot of them...more than most of the playoff teams...

Fix the defense and we'd be fine. Yards are irrelevant they gave up way too many points. We led the NFL in games lost when scoring 24+ points and also set a franchise record for losses in those games as well...

You want a Scooby doo mystery? Look at Miami's stats and their points for/points against numbers and you try and figure out how they won 10 games

Edited by matter2003

I don't even think they need to do that..points are points doesn't matter how you score them, and we score a lot of them...more than most of the playoff teams...

Fix the defense and we'd be fine. Yards are irrelevant they gave up way too many points. We led the NFL in games lost when scoring 24+ points and also set a franchise record for losses in those games as well...

You want a Scooby doo mystery? Look at Miami's stats and their points for/points against numbers and you try and figure out how they won 10 games

Miami had the weakest schedule in the NFL is how they won 10 games. (Funny thing is if the Bills could have stopped Ajayi even a little bit the Bills would have had 10 wins and would be facing Pitt this Sunday. That's how close the Bills got. 2 losses by less than 10 points combined..)

Also look at the stats Oaklands D was WORSE in every one but Rishing D.. that includes scoring D.

Edited by PatsFanNH

Miami had the weakest schedule in the NFL is how they won 10 games. (Funny thing is if the Bills could have stopped Ajayi even a little bit the Bills would have had 10 wins and would be facing Pitt this Sunday. That's how close the Bills got. 2 losses by less than 10 points combined..)

Also look at the stats Oaklands D was WORSE in every one but Rishing D.. that includes scoring D.

Ok, but we had like the second weakest schedule...Miami was TERRIBLE on defense and below average on offense and also had a big negative point margin...if you looked at just the stats between us and them you'd have bet your life savings we'd be the 10 win team going to the playoffs Edited by matter2003

Ok, but we had like the second weakest schedule...Miami was TERRIBLE on defense and below average on offense and also had a big negative point margin...if you looked at just the stats between us and them you'd have bet your life savings we'd be the 10 win team going to the playoffs

This isn't complicated. Good teams win close games, bad teams lose close games. The Bills lose close games more often then not, ergo are a bad team. Having an anemic passing game makes it hard to score quickly. A dominant run game is great, as long as you can take and hold a lead, much less useful for comebacks. I don't know the answer though, clearly Tryhard is our best QB in a while, but only good enough for the 30th best passing O

Ok, but we had like the second weakest schedule...Miami was TERRIBLE on defense and below average on offense and also had a big negative point margin...if you looked at just the stats between us and them you'd have bet your life savings we'd be the 10 win team going to the playoffs

Yes and what was the big difference? That's right them sweeping the Bills and Ajayi running for almost 500 yards in 2 games. BUT Tannahill and Moore also hit key Passing plays to beat the bills. Something the Bills were unable to do.

Also Miami sucked the first 5 games. Since week 6 they are 9-2 and averaging 25 points a game and giving up 24 points a game. The only reason those numbers are close is because the two losses were blowout losses of 38 and 21 points.

Agree...but the Chiefs buck that assessment...with a so called "caretaker" QB. How do they do it?

lol I don't think people are getting it. Oakland went 12-4 with a pretty bad D, worse than Buffalo. They also played in a much TOUGHER division as far as D go. (KC, Denver) The Raiders with the 26 TH RANKED D were one win away from having a first round bye!!! (That they would have gotten with Carr IMO)

So while D will win championships, it is not needed to make the playoffs or even be a top seed. The ONLY stat that Oakland was lightyears better than Buffalo was one. PASSING O. I stand by the assessment an improvement to 20th (just 10 spots higher) would make a HUGE difference in wins and losses.

Also I am not bashing TT, another stat I have seen here (but can't find) is that Buffalo called for fewer passing plays than any other team. So an easy fix for the passing O is to call more passing Plays??

Edited by PatsFanNH

Oakland had Carr.

Buffalo had Taylor.

It's really that simple.

This. For all of the "numbers" and "rankings" people want to try to throw in there with Tyrod he just is not the guy. We have all seen it. The 3 and outs in key situations, missing WIDE OPEN receivers all over the field, being dreadfully inconsistent throwing the ball between 5-20 yards, his trouble reading defenses, having to wait until his guys are open versus throwing them open. It has been the same thing these last two seasons. Tyrod seems like a good guy, throws a pretty deep ball, and is as athletic as they come, but he is not ever going to be a QB that leads a team to a SB. People want him gone or benched, but now in their Billspolar moments are crying for why he should be kept. Why? So you can piss and moan next year about him doing the same things time and again we have all seen the previous two seasons? Move on. Draft another QB. Eventually our fortunes have to change and we need a QB that can get us to that next echelon.

Edited by H2o

lol I don't think people are getting it. Oakland went 12-4 with a pretty bad D, worse than Buffalo. They also played in a much TOUGHER division as far as D go. (KC, Denver) The Raiders with the 26 TH RANKED D were one win away from having a first round bye!!! (That they would have gotten with Carr IMO)

So while D will win championships, it is not needed to make the playoffs or even be a top seed. The ONLY stat that Oakland was lightyears better than Buffalo was one. PASSING O. I stand by the assessment an improvement to 20th (just 10 spots higher) would make a HUGE difference in wins and losses.

Also I am. It bashing TT, another stat I have seen here (but can't find) is that Buffalo called for fewer passing plays than any other team. So an easy fix for the passing O is to call more passing Plays??

Factor in they played the AFC and NFC South. What does that do to your metrics?

Factor in they played the AFC and NFC South. What does that do to your metrics?

NFC South:

Saints/ Falcons --- 2 top O in the NFL.

Tampa Bay -- on the cusp being a Playoff team, also has a decent D

Panthers -- had a terrible year. No idea why on O.

AFC South

Titans -- like the Bucs on the cusp of the playoffs, have a decent O and decent D

Texans - suck on O and have a top ranked D

Colts - have Luck and a good O and a below average D

Jags -- are they truly any worse than the Jets who the AFCE teams beat up on twice?

They also faces KC,Denver, SD twice which is harder than any team in the east minus NE.

Edited by PatsFanNH

This kind of shocked me these are the stats for Oakland &a Bills D:

overall oak 26th Bills 19th

Offense:

Now this showed me a few startling things. One is you don't need a dominant D to win in the AFC as the Raiders were one win away from having a first round bye. Second you do need to be above average in all areas in at least one side of the ball. Look at Oakland they are just a little above average in passing but have a dominant run game. If (IMO) the Bills want to be a playoff team they MUST improve their passing ranking to average (16th-20th) and they will be a playoff team. I mean that is the ONLY stat that Oakland is significantly ahead of the Bills. (Besides overall O but up the passer rating that goes up to.)

I think Oakland is superior to the Bills right now in something that isn't measured above, which is a quality sometimes called "heart" or "belief in one's team".

Both franchises had a number of games that were in reach, winnable, in the 4th quarter. In several of these, the Bills folded like cheap lawn chairs and went home with the L. Oakland dug deep, got serious, and won.

This kind of shocked me these are the stats for Oakland &a Bills D:

overall oak 26th Bills 19th

Offense:

Critical stat missing:

Oakland ranked 2nd in the NFL in takeaways.

Bills ranked in the 20s.

Also I am not bashing TT, another stat I have seen here (but can't find) is that Buffalo called for fewer passing plays than any other team. So an easy fix for the passing O is to call more passing Plays??

PatsFanNH, all respect but I think you are missing the point on the passing plays. Taylor was routinely leaving yards on the field with the passing plays that were called, especially guys over the middle.

Now one can debate if the problem is the design of the passing game, the OL which is mediocre in pass protection, WR injuries/depth or Taylor; and if it's Taylor, is it something coaching and experience can improve (eg Wilson 1st 3 years).

But simply calling more passing plays at the present would likely result in more incompletions.

Here's an interesting article interviewing Trent Dilfer about our passing offense, it's from last year but still on point I think.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan