Jim Kelly on espn about our situation 1/4

The Tomcat

I watched the interview on NFL insiders on ESPN and Bill Polian was also there giving his input.

Both basically saying that the long term answer at QB isn't currently on the team and that Tyrod is a bridge QB. If Tyrod is a bridge then half the QBs inthe NFL are too.

Polian also went on to say that the org needs a football man at the top making the right decisions and keeping the team headed in the right direction His son Chris and that man isn't there. Thank god He already turned down the job so he isn't saying that just because he wants the job. That ship sailed when Dougy Marrone tried his power play He is right of course. Even with an elite QB the team won't succeed without a great coaching staff, HC, OC, DC, ST coach and quality players at every position. Brilliant, Bill. All you have to do is have the best people at every position Who is going to find them as the current GM has already taken part in the last few hires! Taken part as in went he along with his bosses wishes.

How many chances does the man get to be involved in the head coaching hiring process before people realize he doesn't know what he is doing? If he were truely good at his job I suspect the owners would stand back and let him to his job! Which entails the hiring and firing of the coaches under him for every other NFL team! Currently, Whaley still doesn't have that power as the owners will have the final say in who gets hired!

On another note, what kind of idiot goes along with the hiring of a 4-12 coach who had lost his players in his last job. All the man had to do was present the video to the owners of how the NY Jets played against Buffalo in 2014 under Ryan to see that his defense wasn't very good and his offense was abysmal!

Then, Doug Whaley was so fixated on making EJ succeed that he failed to see other talented QB's the last few years. Derek Carr comes to mind. So Bill says draft a QB but then give up and draft another the following year? My words again and the point being that Whaley and his scouts haven't got a clue in terms of college QB talent. I hope we have seen the last of EJ in Buffalo and if Whaley / Nix / the Bills scouts knew what they were looking at they would have never drafted him in the first place!

He thought EJ was the guy so he spent two first rounders on a WR when the team still didn't have it's franchise QB. Which trumps all other positions. Maybe but Watkins is still a great player. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/62752/472/broken-bills

Plus, the team still has holes in a few areas. Name a team without holes. All of the playoff teams coaching staffs, rosters look pretty solid to me or they wouldn't be in the playoffs!

I get the impression that Tyrod won't be in Buffalo this season too. Odds are he will be. It sure looks to me like Whaley doesn't want him as he is not his pick at QB and wanted him benched after the Steelers game. Things may have changed now that he has seen how poorly EJ played and that Cardale Jones might not be ready to start any time soon. Still, Tyrod went ahead and had his surgery on his own.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/05/the-clock-is-now-ticking-on-tyrod-taylors-guaranteed-money/

"Usually, the interests of a player and a team are aligned when the player has surgery. The mutual goal is to get the player healthy as soon as possible. As it relates to the hernia surgery performed on Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the interests of the player don’t mesh with the interests of the team."

Where do you guys keep getting this Chris Polian stuff from? In an interview, while he was still open to being that senior adviser for Buffalo, he stated would hire AJ Smith as his GM and not his son.

What kind of Bills fan would not want the man back in control of the Buffalo Bills who stated that he loves the Buffalo Bills would like like to see them return to dominance in the AFC East. Basically saying what all Bills fans feel and that is hating on the Patriots!

Bill Polian is in the NFL hall of fame for building not one, not two, but three NFL teams into playoff powerhouses within two years. The man knows how to pick an NFL QB and hire the right head coach, not to mention player talent. Jerry Hughes was his last #1 pick in Indy before the current Indy stooge at GM gave up on him.

"He is right of course. Even with an elite QB the team won't succeed without a great coaching staff, HC, OC, DC, ST coach and quality players at every position." Those were my words and look at the better playoff teams as they have quality coaching staffs and rosters.

Over the past 17 years, the Bills have managed to find a gem or two for coaches, players and a big reason for all the losing is because they haven't been able to build a competent coaching staff or roster! Nor have they found that man at the top who can put it all together.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Kelly was the great one for us but since he left Tyrod has been the best thing since (almost)

Tyron is better than 95% of the QB's we have had since Kelly & we have had the 2 best running offenses the last 2 years, so i think Tyrod if for nothing else should be the bridge QB until they can find that "franchise QB" !

If not then we go back to a EJ type QB until we find that guy ..

I'm all in on keeping T.T. if that be the case ...

Okay, first, the Texans went to the playoffs by winning--by far--the worst division. Second, The Chiefs have WON GAMES because of scores on defense and special teams. Finally, I don't see how a rookie, or any other QB for that matter, could produce significantly less than Tyrod did from a passing standpoint. So this idea that bagging him means bagging the seasons is something I don't buy.

Suppose the new QB has similar passing stats, you likely don't get 500 rushings yards and 6 TD's and those are significant. And even though we give the new QB similar stats, he will likely have more turnovers. TT doesn't turn the ball over much at all.

Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback Quarterback

Who is the Broncos' quarterback?

Who is the 49ers' quarterback?

Can the Jaguars' quarterback throw a spiral?

The Rams' quarterback situation is a gamble because you have no idea what you have with Goff. 5 TD's and 7 INT's at 5.3 ypa and a 63.6 passer rating. Even Manuel had a 77.7 rating as a rookie.

If only Taylor were a #tallwhitequarterback then he'd be given a constant benefit of the doubt and have all the chances in the world.

Like Cam Newton?

Suppose the new QB has similar passing stats, you likely don't get 500 rushings yards and 6 TD's and those are significant. And even though we give the new QB similar stats, he will likely have more turnovers. TT doesn't turn the ball over much at all.

So lets say a different QB has 3500 yards 25 TDs and 150 rush yards 1 TD and 11 int, is that not good enough? those numbers don't jump out as being great by any means, yet they scream average as average gets and they are more TD, yards, int than TT.

I'm just asking because everybody says you can't do better than TT, and all I say is it's not hard equal or to be better than TT.

Edited by old school

"I have total confidence in the Pegulas."

He also notes the obvvious, big name coaches are looking for a team with a QB. Tyrod is not a franchise QB.

Jim is a great Bill but his credibility in management/coaching issues was damaged by his enthusiasm for Rex.

No. I think the commitment to winning at OBD is huge. The skill is lacking.

Jim was a great QB. I see no reason to believe he'd be a great organizational leader.

Agreed. Hated the Ryan hire from day one. How anyone could have thought that was a good move is beyond me. Kelly loses credibility on that one. Really not sure if Kellys opinion on Tyrod is his own or the organizations. Edited by TANK2

So lets say a different QB has 3500 yards 25 TDs and 150 rush yards 1 TD and 11 int, is that not good enough? those numbers don't jump out as being great by any means, yet they scream average as average gets and they are more TD, yards, int than TT.

I'm just asking because everybody says you can't do better than TT, and all I say is it's not hard equal or to be better than TT.

I think with a rookie, it is improbable to match TT in overall quality. You would expect turnovers and those are huge.

My whole issue is that because, for whatever reasons you want, we had a highly ranked offense. To let Taylor go without a replacement in place scares me. I stand by the idea that if we improve our defense and maintain our offense we are a playoff team. If we can get a better QB, I'm all for it. But make sure we have one before we cut TT loose.

I think with a rookie, it is improbable to match TT in overall quality. You would expect turnovers and those are huge.

My whole issue is that because, for whatever reasons you want, we had a highly ranked offense. To let Taylor go without a replacement in place scares me. I stand by the idea that if we improve our defense and maintain our offense we are a playoff team. If we can get a better QB, I'm all for it. But make sure we have one before we cut TT loose.

There is absolutely no guarantee that this offense will be as good next year as 2016 with Rex gone. I don't think the next HC will employ the same vision Rex had of ground and pound, and that would have greatly hamper Tyrod effectiveness, No? If Tyrod stays, which i doubt, do you really think the Bills will have 28 TDs rushing again? I sure don't. I don't think they would repeat that had Rex and Tyrod stayed.

IMO wherever Tyrod ends up next is going to open alot of eyes as to how bad a QB he really is.

People also say he is on the same par as Flacco and a few others. If that was true way did he never come close to unseating Flacco as the starter in Balt? or at least create a QB controversy?

Edited by old school

Methinks Jimbo will be persona non grata around OBD henceforth.

I actually thinks it's quite the opposite. Jim has obvious insider connections to the organization. That is why everything he said is probably consistent with how the organization feels. I think Jim knows that TT isn't coming back. I don't think he would have answered the QB question in the same manner if he expected him to be back.

Unreal. Jim is 2000% right.

All the TT fanboys on Bills mafia are trashing Kelly too.

People have this love fest for Kelly- if he says something it must always be right. Im not a huge fan of Taylor, never said I was. My point is he has a habit of saying how great things are then at the end of the season he will spin it differently. It is time for him to either fade away or take a shot at coaching; if not just be quiet.

Doesn't mean he is terrible either...and advanced metrics show regardless of what you think he is much better than most give him credit for...

I'll also point out that Aaron Rodgers stats playing without Jordy Nelson last year were near identical to Tyrods from a completion percentage, yards per attempt and TD/INT percentage this year(Tyrods were actually better in most categories)...

Is he anywhere near that level...no. That's the whole point...if Rogers can struggle badly without Nelson in an offensive friendly system, what do you think Tyrod will do?

for those that think playing without your best wideout and some games with practice squad caliber wideouts doesn't make a difference, it's not the case, it does, and it makes a big difference

Rodgers had 31 TDs and 8 INTs in 2015 without Nelson. (He also threw for 3800 on 60%...I don't know if I'd call that 'struggling badly')

Taylor had 17 TDs and 6 INTs this year. I think it's a bad comparison.

He has 29 starts. The Bills are 15-14 in those games.

Did he play well enough to win 10 games this year? No. If he had we would have.

That's Interesting, I wasn't aware that the QB is solely responsible to win or lose a game. I guess Luck, Rivers and Brees are all bums too because they didn't come close to winning 10 games