Bart Scott rips Dareus for comments about Rex defense

YoloinOhio

How completely true! How dare he criticize a guy like Dareus who always does the right thing!

Dareus certainly doesn't have the credibility to be a critic of the HC but that doesn't undercut the validity of what he said. Rex failed as a coach for a variety of reasons. He not being able to adapt and adjust his schemes to better suit the players he had on hand was a failing of his, among many.

If the players couldn't absorb what he was saying then coach them up so they do have a good grasp of the defensive concepts for the day of the game. That's what practice was for. Rex was smart enough to design plays in his office but he was an utter incompetent when making sure that the players knew how to execute those plays on the field.

Maybe instead of having an army of coaches with different voices this fool coach should have thinned out the staff and get himself a little dirty coaching players on the field.

Hughes and Dareus are certainly not cerebral players. Having a system that shackles them instead of unleashing them is moronic. What Scwartz understood is not what Rex understood:: Putting the players in the best situation to succeed is the essence of coaching.

Stupid hire with predictable results. WTF were the owners thinking when they hired this coaching anachronism. When you hire a huckster you get a huckster!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang Bang another messenger bites the dust. We may not be a playoff team but NOBODY circles the wagons and shoots the messenger like Bills fans when others criticize the team.

A little critical thinking about each messenger wouldn't kill you. Do you not think some good points are being raised or is your mind made up?

The guy is dead on correct. Marcel has made a lot of stupid choices in his career so far. He has talent but is so into himself. Narcisistic to be exact. Get your $#it together kid before you spout off like you do. Can't believe he makes as much as he does. Between him and Leodis McKelvin, they know about as much as a teenager. And McKelvin can't speak a lick of English.

Scott, who played well in Rex's defense is pretty clear in his insistence that it's not complicated. Why are so many here arguing with his assessment?

Whether it was complicated or not is not the issue. It's simple: What works the best. If it was a relatively simple scheme then why were players struggling with it? If you saw the befuddlement then the coach should have seen it.

Whether a scheme is brilliant or not isn't the point. The point is the players were playing at a lesser level than they did with another more basic scheme.

The bottom line is that what the scheme is doesn't matter. The talkative coach needed to put his efforts not only into drawing plays but making sure the players could understand what he was espousing and then execute it to the best of their abilities.

What this braggadocio coach didn't understand is if you have dumb players you still have to coach dumb players. Coaching 101 and common sense 101!

Yards given up per game between Schwartz's Philadelphia defense and the Bills defense this year through the last game.

6 yards difference per game.

Le us know when the game is no longer decide by Points scored

On the contrary, its more of an unwillingness to adapt. When a player achieves success under a scheme that requires less thinking, they begin to think "why do I have to do this, the other way worked just fine." I understand this mentality...work smarter, not harder. However, even if it were more complex, I'm usually against the monday morning qb'ing when a coach leaves. One of the few times I'd prefer the pre-packaged cliche answers.

I think this post nails it. If the Bills D before Rex wasnt as successful there may have been less resitance and a different result.

Scott, who played well in Rex's defense is pretty clear in his insistence that it's not complicated. Why are so many here arguing with his assessment?

Maybe if Dareus had 12 years experience in Rex's defense instead of two he'd feel like Scott does. Kind of hard to compare someone who could probably coach the scheme to someone just getting into it.

That being said, other than Kyle Williams, I don't see too many Bills on D that have the desire to work and succeed like Bart Scott had. I think it really comes down to that. You haven't heard Kyle whining.

Edited by WotAGuy

A little critical thinking about each messenger wouldn't kill you. Do you not think some good points are being raised or is your mind made up?

Cool post bro. Actually much better for you than usual as it is 2 coherent sentences. Let me know when a critical article isnt summarily dismissed on this board.

Yards given up per game between Schwartz's Philadelphia defense and the Bills defense this year through the last game.

6 yards difference per game.

This is WAY out of context. The Philly D is 5th overall in DVOA and Buffalo is 24th. Why? Philly has played the hardest offensive schedule in the entire NFL and Buffalo has played the 27th hardest schedule.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Edited by dave mcbride

You're missijg the point, this team is filled with dummies and unprepared quitters so that 1-6 do not matter, as Mike Singletary said about "can't win with em" .

Sorry, if,your dumb and can't adapt, that an indictment of the player, not the coach. A few dummies couldn't do what was asked while others could, do dumb down the defense?

Funny how that team of 'dummies' somehow managed to finish with a top D ranking before Rex - then they suddenly became dumb?

Darius (and others) was not indicating so much the defense was complex but more the ADJUSTMENTS that were made on the fly pre-snap or during the snap. These same problems occurred when he coached the NY Jets.

Many adjustments were made because the offense showed looks that were not anticipated and prepared for by the STAFF in the week before the game.

Nobody hated Darius antic more than me this year - but that doesnt mean his comments have no merit - especially when they jive with comments of others.

- Dareus should keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking.

- Rex couldn't even keep track of the Bills playoff hopes after the Steelers game. What other details eluded Rex? Too many to count.

- Forget Bart Scott. He's a Rex guy through and through.

- the Bills need more leaders. I count 4. Kyle, Shady, Ritchie and Sammy

- Rex couldn't even keep track of the Bills playoff hopes after the Steelers game. What other details eluded Rex? Too many to count.

Dareus has played quite well since coming back and I am optimistic he has turned a corner on maturity. We shall see.

No wonder why we suck. I'll grant you KW, but man its a stretch calling those other guys leaders.

You're missijg the point, this team is filled with dummies and unprepared quitters so that 1-6 do not matter, as Mike Singletary said about "can't win with em" .

Sorry, if,your dumb and can't adapt, that an indictment of the player, not the coach. A few dummies couldn't do what was asked while others could, do dumb down the defense?

Doesn't what you're saying describe Rex to the T: unprepared, can't adapt, not smart enough to see the league had passed him by ????

Edited by CSBill