Define "accountability"

SDS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accountability would be for posters calling for EJ to still be a starter to come on board Monday after he turns in yet another disastrous performance and admit they were and have been total idiots or admit they were !@#$ing trolling us all along. Accountability would be for posters bashing Tyrod to show up after next season when the offense fails to be top 10 in points scored loses more games yet has more passing yards and admit that focusing solely on 1 stat without regard to the math behind that stat is idiotic. Either of these will not happen as these posters will simply forget it ever happened.

Edited by jms62

Accountability in a sports team is when coach disciplines or even sits a player based on circumstances .

Yup. Penalties and rewards are given out fairly and the only factor is how well the player is performing. No favoritism based on salary or who brought the player in. Dog it and you're going to lose playing time, get fined/suspended, be benched or even be traded. Commit stupid penalties or do something else that hurts the team and see the list above. If you work hard, keep your nose clean and improve, then you'll earn opportunities.

A lot has been made of Rex in that he doesn't hold his players accountable. He hasn't. But he's gone now and there is some concern with Whaley in this regard. The new coach will be a bit hamstrung with some of the top paid players in this regard. Dareus' contract has been particularly concerning. With all of the guarantees and early money there's just not much the team can do when he screws up. I hope we don't see another contract like that going forward.

ac·count·a·bil·i·ty

əˌkoun(t)əˈbilədē/

noun

1. the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

2. a term thrown around on internet message boards with vague anger, often toward those with responsibilities beyond the scope and scale the typical denizen could even begin to wrap their heads around

See also: "Relevant" and referring to "the media" as a singular entity.

Edited by jimmy10

When we get our coach whether it be Lynn, Patricia or Toub I think the next agenda is weeding out the fakers on this team. I think a classic example is Hughes, yes he's very talented but he's collided with the past 2 coaching staffs. Hughes has what I call "Mario Syndrome" it's selfishness combined with Laziness and a lacking of accountability & leadership.

This will be a huge test for whomever we hire to find who else on this team has Mario Syndrome and get rid of them. Marcel has this wicked disease but maybe he can be saved. We can't cut him it would cost to much.

How do you discipline the modern day player who is in it for the check only? Would seem as difficult as training a dog that is not incented by food.

Our dogs look for respect and affection. But they know when they have misbehaved. and honestly try to correct their actions. Unusual dogs perhaps.

Tough t to talk about wealthy football players.

But i thought LeSeans comments were spot on. He has lead by example all year, he is in position to call out Watkins or whomever.

As team leader i am always accountable. If i make a mistake i admit it, even if there were mitigating circumstance. I will not blame others that i did not get my job done. I also motivate and reward. in and honest manner.

When we get our coach whether it be Lynn, Patricia or Toub I think the next agenda is weeding out the fakers on this team. I think a classic example is Hughes, yes he's very talented but he's collided with the past 2 coaching staffs. Hughes has what I call "Mario Syndrome" it's selfishness combined with Laziness and a lacking of accountability & leadership.

This will be a huge test for whomever we hire to find who else on this team has Mario Syndrome and get rid of them. Marcel has this wicked disease but maybe he can be saved. We can't cut him it would cost to much.

I do not see how Hughes has become selfish. Might be a bonehead who gets overwound, but selfish?

Our dogs look for respect and affection. But they know when they have misbehaved. and honestly try to correct their actions. Unusual dogs perhaps.

Tough t to talk about wealthy football players.

But i thought LeSeans comments were spot on. He has lead by example all year, he is in position to call out Watkins or whomever.

As team leader i am always accountable. If i make a mistake i admit it, even if there were mitigating circumstance. I will not blame others that i did not get my job done. I also motivate and reward. in and honest manner.

Maybe the answer is peer pressure and the 2 best players on the team speaking out on it is a start. Hopefully we are seeing Sammy step up as a leader in the locker room. This team is close if they dont blow up the offense.

Maybe the answer is peer pressure and the 2 best players on the team speaking out on it is a start. Hopefully we are seeing Sammy step up as a leader in the locker room. This team is close if they dont blow up the offense.

Maybe they need a " buddy" system. Pair a strong guy up with a weak one?

Peer pressure is not phrase i like, but i know what you mean 62.

Like McCoy said in the article, fining the players is not enough

Great questions, Scott.

At its simplest, Accountability is the willingness to accept responsibility for your own actions. In business terms, it is the ability to meet specific goals and reap rewards or not meet them and incur punishment.

It's on the Leadership of any organization to set (1) clear goals, (2) the proper incentives, and (3) the proper structure for employees to succeed.

No matter how great the employees are, if the organization doesn’t have the right structure in place, they’ll never grow to the next level. If there aren't goals set with clear measurables, employees can lose track of the overall vision. Without proper incentives/punishments, employees will lose focus.

The Bills lack all of this from the top down.

My most recent post where I mentioned Accountability was in response to a suggestion that the Bills bring in Coughlin as a consultant on the next HC hire. It's not a crazy suggestion given the way the Pegulas have operated, but I point out that it would kill any Accountability when that coach fails or succeeds. "Did Whaley hire the coach, or was it Coughlin's idea? If the coach is failing, do we fire Whaley or Coughlin? If the coach is winning, do we extend Whaley or replace him with Coughlin?"

That is an example of the lack of Accountability structure that has caused the current mess. We had to fire a HC after only 2 seasons. The GM didn't hire him. The President kinda advised but it's not really his area. The Pegulas made the decision but weren't really qualified to do so...

That's why we've seen leaks throwing the HC under the bus. That's why the transition from Rex to Lynn was botched. Everyone left running the organization has the ability to shrug off accountability and say "Not really my problem".

The good news is, it looks like the Pegulas are learning and have given Whaley the responsibility for this next hire. Whaley will be accountable for the success of the next HC. It will be easier to identify where improvements need to be made within the organization. Or, hopefully, where extensions and raises should be given.

They (the Pegulas) really need to finish what they started and set a clear structure where they delineate who is solely responsible for what. As in, Russ runs the business side and only the business side, Whaley handles everything that has to do with the product that plays on the field on Sundays. If they want to seek each others advisement on things, fine, but they know that they themselves will ultimately be hired/fired. And that clarity continues on down to Monos in his personnel position, and the HC in his position.

So that is what the Pegulas have in front of them in order to bring real Accountability to the Front Office. The players are a whole different story...

How do you hold accountable a player that makes $20mil/year? Tough question, and tougher task.

The easiest way is with incentive-only contracts, but most high-profile players aren't going to sign that. You may be able to get away with some incentives and clauses that protect the team, but you'll never get a true "performance based" pay structure.

With that said, you can certainly do better than the Bills have with giving Dareus that "smoke all you want" concession. Jeez Louise! But that is simply the same lack of Accountability at the top, bleeding all the way down to the players. It's incredibly fitting that the Pegulas hired a HC who doesn't like to hold his players accountable either!

So first thing first, you need to change the culture.

To do that with players, it starts with the little things. Making sure they are on time for meetings, or they incur fines and other type of punishments that embarrass them in front of their team mates. This is exactly where Coughlin started when he turned around the Giants. I've used this at 2 different companies where I was hired with the specific task of bringing accountability to departments/teams that were out of control. You have to set standards for management and make sure they live/die by them, and then they can hold their employees to those same standards. All of our time is important, and I'll respect yours by being here and you respect mine. Boom, already started bringing respect and discipline into the organization.

Another way would be knowing the playbook. Pop quizzes with rewards/punishments. Are you respecting your coaches and team mates by taking the extra time to "sharpen your saw" so you can contribute to our success?

And then you keep at it, and hope those seeds of respect, discipline, motivation, etc, keep growing. And if they don't, you get rid of that employee. Coach 'em up, or coach 'em out!

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I could discuss this stuff all day. That's all I'm going to ramble on about this for now. You asked for it. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Great questions, Scott.

At its simplest, Accountability is the willingness to accept responsibility for your own actions. In business terms, it is the ability to meet specific goals and reap rewards or not meet them and incur punishment.

It's on the Leadership of any organization to set (1) clear goals, (2) the proper incentives, and (3) the proper structure for employees to succeed.

No matter how great the employees are, if the organization doesn’t have the right structure in place, they’ll never grow to the next level. If there aren't goals set with clear measurables, employees can lose track of the overall vision. Without proper incentives/punishments, employees will lose focus.

The Bills lack all of this from the top down.

My most recent post where I mentioned Accountability was in response to a suggestion that the Bills bring in Coughlin as a consultant on the next HC hire. It's not a crazy suggestion given the way the Pegulas have operated, but I point out that it would kill any Accountability when that coach fails or succeeds. "Did Whaley hire the coach, or was it Coughlin's idea? If the coach is failing, do we fire Whaley or Coughlin? If the coach is winning, do we extend Whaley or replace him with Coughlin?"

That is an example of the lack of Accountability structure that has caused the current mess. We had to fire a HC after only 2 seasons. The GM didn't hire him. The President kinda advised but it's not really his area. The Pegulas made the decision but weren't really qualified to do so...

That's why we've seen leaks throwing the HC under the bus. That's why the transition from Rex to Lynn was botched. Everyone left running the organization has the ability to shrug off accountability and say "Not really my problem".

The good news is, it looks like the Pegulas are learning and have given Whaley the responsibility for this next hire. Whaley will be accountable for the success of the next HC. It will be easier to identify where improvements need to be made within the organization. Or, hopefully, where extensions and raises should be given.

They (the Pegulas) really need to finish what they started and set a clear structure where they delineate who is solely responsible for what. As in, Russ runs the business side and only the business side, Whaley handles everything that has to do with the product that plays on the field on Sundays. If they want to seek each others advisement on things, fine, but they know that they themselves will ultimately be hired/fired. And that clarity continues on down to Monos in his personnel position, and the HC in his position.

So that is what the Pegulas have in front of them in order to bring real Accountability to the Front Office. The players are a whole different story...

How do you hold accountable a player that makes $20mil/year? Tough question, and tougher task.

The easiest way is with incentive-only contracts, but most high-profile players aren't going to sign that. You may be able to get away with some incentives and clauses that protect the team, but you'll never get a true "performance based" pay structure.

With that said, you can certainly do better than the Bills have with giving Dareus that "smoke all you want" concession. Jeez Louise! But that is simply the same lack of Accountability at the top, bleeding all the way down to the players. It's incredibly fitting that the Pegulas hired a HC who doesn't like to hold his players accountable either!

So first thing first, you need to change the culture.

To do that with players, it starts with the little things. Making sure they are on time for meetings, or they incur fines and other type of punishments that embarrass them in front of their team mates. This is exactly where Coughlin started when he turned around the Giants. I've used this at 2 different companies where I was hired with the specific task of bringing accountability to departments/teams that were out of control. You have to set standards for management and make sure they live/die by them, and then they can hold their employees to those same standards. All of our time is important, and I'll respect yours by being here and you respect mine. Boom, already started bringing respect and discipline into the organization.

Another way would be knowing the playbook. Pop quizzes with rewards/punishments. Are you respecting your coaches and team mates by taking the extra time to "sharpen your saw" so you can contribute to our success?

And then you keep at it, and hope those seeds of respect, discipline, motivation, etc, keep growing. And if they don't, you get rid of that employee. Coach 'em up, or coach 'em out!

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I could discuss this stuff all day. That's all I'm going to ramble on about this for now. You asked for it. :thumbsup:

One of your finer streams DD.

don't agree with all of it, and that is fine. But nice table layout for sure.

One of the things i have been going on about is , naming Whaley responsible for the Coaching hire. Major step in accountability from the Pegulas! I like this very much.

How do you discipline the modern day player who is in it for the check only? Would seem as difficult as training a dog that is not incented by food.

Well. It's very very rare to find a dog that's not incented by something. Sometimes "not incented by food" means not the right food. Sometimes the dog really doesn't care about food, but they're incented by praise, or by a chance to play with a special toy and have it tossed around for them. The trick is to find what the dog is inspired by.

So by analogy, if you have a modern player who is in it only for the check, either they need to have their contract structured so that they can be deprived if they don't get with the program, or, one needs to explore if there is in fact anything else at all that motivates them. If they've truly 100% checked out and don't care about their teammates or winning, they are a cancer and they just need to GTFO even if it hurts the cap.

One of your finer streams DD.

don't agree with all of it, and that is fine. But nice table layout for sure.

One of the things i have been going on about is , naming Whaley responsible for the Coaching hire. Major step in accountability from the Pegulas! I like this very much.

Oh it aint perfect, I was typing while the coffee was still brewing. Who knows what was coming out! :lol::thumbsup:

Giving your best most of the time to the person or people to whom you owe a specific duty or duties based on a mutually agreeable arrangement.

You dont. You let that pot smoking tub of lard who clearly puts himself ahead of the team walk and be some other teams 100 million dollar problem. Especially when there are red flags everywhere that this particular tub of lard simply doesnt get it or care to get it. Whats the over under on his report back weight this spring btw. 400?. 425? Im going with 450! Edited by TANK2

accountability is to each other on the team, not to the fans, not to writers or media

Your doing everything you can do to help us achieve the ultimate goal. Your reliable, you show up, your prepared, no excuses excited and ready to play. If your not (here is the accountable part) you have to answer to your teammates why they should bust their ass but you don't need to.

A locker room where there is not accountability by the players will not jell and will not win in any sport

You dont. You let that pot smoking tub of lard who clearly puts himself ahead of the team walk and be some other teams 100 million dollar problem. Especially when there red flags everywhere that this particular tub of lard simply doesnt get it or care.

I understand your frustrations, but that's weak leadership. He can be made to care and perform. Saban did it.