The case against Gus Bradley for DC

The Big Cat

At first, I thought he'd be an obvious choice to come in as DC and return our team to relevance.

Upon closer review, I'm not sure that's the case.

He had two great years in Seattle following two bad years. The Seattle defense never skipped a beat once he left, and actually got better, a lot better. Meanwhile, in Jacksonville, outside this year, his defenses there were pretty lousy too.

Here's how his defenses have ranked (PTS/YDS):

2009: 25/24

2010: 27/27

2011: 9/7

2012: 4/1*

-------------

2013: 28/27

2014: 26/26

2015: 31/24

2016: 26/4

*since his departure from Seattle, their defenses have finished:

2013: 1/1

2014: 1/1

2015: 1/2

2016: 2/7

Soooooooooooo, may be I'm missing something here, but from 10,000 feet, this doesn't look that great. Can somebody help me understand why he'd be a good pick?

And if there's no good explanation, then may be we can not throw a **** fit if he's not hired. May be.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, I thought he'd be an obvious choice to come in as DC and return our team to relevance.

He had two great years in Seattle following two bad years. The Seattle defense never skipped a beat once he left, and actually got better, a lot better. Meanwhile, in Jacksonville, outside this year, his defenses there were pretty lousy too.

-------------

Soooooooooooo, may be I'm missing something here, but from 10,000 feet, this doesn't look that great. Can somebody help me understand why he'd be a good pick?

And if there's no good explanation, then may be we can not throw a **** fit if he's not hired. May be.

Thanks for doing the research. I had not. The most important part to me from that is that Seattle hasnt missed him.

Who would you like to see run our defense?

I won't bang the desk for Gus but there's a few things I'd point out:

1) I like former head coaches becoming coordinators. I can't really explain it but I think it brings some more professionalism to your staff. And by all accounts, Gus is a great guy.

2) to go from 27 to 4 is a huge improvement. It's the exact opposite of what Rex did. That team was a joke defensive and now is a good unit.

3) you underestimate how bad Bortles sucks. The Jags gave the ball away 28 & 27 times the last 2 years (tied for 2nd worst this year). Their points/ game is completely flawed because of those turnovers.

I won't go crazy if they don't get Bradley but I think he is a good DC & a very positive influence in the Locker who the players would love to play for.

I won't bang the desk for Gus but there's a few things I'd point out:

1) I like former head coaches becoming coordinators. I can't really explain it but I think it brings some more professionalism to your staff. And by all accounts, Gus is a great guy.

2) to go from 27 to 4 is a huge improvement. It's the exact opposite of what Rex did. That team was a joke defensive and now is a good unit.

3) you underestimate how bad Bortles sucks. The Jags gave the ball away 28 & 27 times the last 2 years (tied for 2nd worst this year). Their points/ game is completely flawed because of those turnovers.

I won't go crazy if they don't get Bradley but I think he is a good DC & a very positive influence in the Locker who the players would love to play for.

Great points

Thanks for doing the research. I had not. The most important part to me from that is that Seattle hasnt missed him.

Who would you like to see run our defense?

I get this point but I don't think it's that simple. Seattle has done a great job keeping its defensive big time players together.

Given how bad the Jags offense is and how deflating turnovers can be to a defense, I think he did an awesome job defensive in Jacksonville. Starting Poz.

I get this point but I don't think it's that simple. Seattle has done a great job keeping its defensive big time players together.

Given how bad the Jags offense is and how deflating turnovers can be to a defense, I think he did an awesome job defensive in Jacksonville. Starting Poz.

I agree on Jax. Its hard to measure Gus's effectiveness when the offense turns it over so much.

I'd take Pettine over Bradley.

Our run defense sucked under Pettine. I'm sick of guys rushing for 200 yards/ game.

And why does every like going to the past so much? Get some new blood.

I agree on Jax. Its hard to measure Gus's effectiveness when the offense turns it over so much.

Agree. They were playing really good defense the 2nd half of the year.

Playing defense when you have Bortles and for a garbage franchise llle Jacksonville has to be pretty depressing.

Our run defense sucked under Pettine. I'm sick of guys rushing for 200 yards/ game.

Playing defense when you have Bortles and for a garbage franchise llle Jacksonville has to be pretty depressing.

Agreed on Pettine and 200 yard rushers. Enough!

Petrine was above average.

-------------

Seattle runs a very simple scheme........none of their DC's can be considered field-tactically special, IMO.

They do not change what they do for specific opponents..........a key reason why Tyrod had the big day against them......and then reverted back to normal the following week.

If you don't have the horses in that D it is vulnerable.

I think the Bills have most of the fast, attacking personnel to implement a Seattle type D effectively.

What you are hoping to get.........competitiveness........very fast play.....gang tackling.......tackling soundly and aggressively.........hold up ball carriers and strip the football.

These are things that have been absent for most of Rex tenure in Buffalo.

Fred Jackson was on WGR today and he was gushing about the Seattle approach.......they are constantly in friendly competition with each other in that lockerroom.........and when you think about it, competitiveness is really the difference in this game.

What teams hope they get from guys like Gus and Dan Quinn is a piece of that environment. But since it's simple.......you need talent.

Edited by #BADOL