MMQB: Rex told team playoffs were out of reach on 12/11

YoloinOhio

If true, this alone is a fireable offense. This kind of thinking cost Wade Philllips his job, when he declared that the Bills were "out of it", when they weren't. I'm glad Ryan's Reign of Error has come to an end, but I'm not at all optimistic about the Bills future. Somebody at OBD is using the media to advance their agenda instead of handling their bidness in private. The signs point to Doug Whaley or perhaps Russ Brandon. If I'm Pegula, these leaks do not make me comfortable with the front office as currently constructed. Yet somehow Whaley survives. Say what you want about Tim Graham, but he's right. Whaley has more lives than a cat.

it could be a player

I know for a fact that a couple years ago when there was ton of leaks out of Cleveland, the singing bird was Brian Hoyer. He hated the coach and the GM.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, there's the story Whaley wanted Schwartz D to be left intact and Rex more or less said he would then BLAMMO

OTOH, if Whaley believed that Rex would keep Schwartz as DC or that Schwartz would stay under him, I have a nice piece of farmland to sell him in the "well irrigated" parts of East Texas.

Rex offered to keep him on his staff but he needed to run the Ryan defense which Rex believed was best defense if ran properly.

As I have said before I prefer a Phillips defense where he will adjust it week-to-week even changing scheme due to injuries.

All this about Whaley's ego and what he'll do next is insane. Whaley has one chance to keep his job: build a winner NOW. There's no more time to spare or ways to push off the inevitable. He's being given the authority to control his own future. If he doesn't find the right coach and personnel (starting QB) to make the playoffs in the next 2, maybe 3 years, he's fired and will more than likely not get another shot at a top level NFL office for a very long time.

He's not going to ride the rest of his career on EJ just because he drafted him years ago. He's not going to let the rest of his career ride on a coach just because he knows him and keep him under his thumb. He's going to make whatever decision he thinks is best for getting wins.

Now, if you think he's simply not talented enough as a GM to get that done, that's at least a fair argument. But saying he's going to throw his reputation out the window just because he's stubborn? :doh:

Some people confuse him with BN writers,

Rex is a clown, as I said right after he was hired. But thankfully the wise old "We're Doomed" crowd let me know that I was not a real Bills fan if I didn't trust the new owners. Been a fan since 1965 and I am looking forward to the day we can all say, "We actually have an NFL caliber QB and an NFL caliber HC. Hope it's real soon. But we're in a better place than we were on Monday... sorry "We're Doomed" crowd :thumbsup:

Well stated. I am ambivalent on Whaley. On balance, I think he is slightly above average, though evaluation of qbs is a question mark. I wish he placed accuracy more evidently in his top criteria. The innuendo that he is behind the leaks and actively subverts coaches is troubling if true. I do believe he will make choices that he believes are most likely to result in a winning team. Catfights and calculations to maintain power are meaningless when it is crystal clear the team needs to win or he is out.

It is ALSO troubling if false, more troubling IMO. I think if there are leaks he needs to make sure all staff - front office, coaching, marketing, support and even the guy in locker room picking up towels and calling ESPN, etc that leaks are violation of contract and people will be fired with cause means NO unemployment (Leroi will not get beer and weed money) and those such as coaches will have their contract disputed with union.

How much longer does the "everything was Ryans fault" parade go on? I seriously wonder if Russ orchestrates these types of stories to make the organization look better than it is to preserve season ticket sales next season.

Rex had a responsibility as the HC and he did not meet it. When the season goes in the tank, it is the HC's responsibility whether you like it or not.

Edited by ganesh

Rex offered to keep him on his staff but he needed to run the Ryan defense which Rex believed was best defense if ran properly.

As I have said before I prefer a Phillips defense where he will adjust it week-to-week even changing scheme due to injuries.

Some people confuse him with BN writers,

At the end of it you still need good talent accompanied with great coaching. Wade Philips ran a great defense because he had Washington and Williams to anchor his run defense. He had Bruce Smith, Bryce Paup to attack the QB. When Wade had similar talent in Denver, he won a Super Bowl as a Defensive coordinator.

Schwartz cajoled a reluctant Mario Williams and a young Dareus to play well and the play of Hughes was a big bonus. Club Rex could not do that with his talented men. He could not get this defensive front seven to stop the run and get off the field on 3rd down.

After Steelers game. But they weren't... did he really not know? They had a real possibility to make the playoffs. Hello Situational awareness! Attention to detail... smh

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/29/washington-redskins-rebuild-nfl-playoff-scenarios

How does this make any sense whatsoever given what he said in press conferences?!?

Even leading up to the Miami game, Rex said the Bills had a puncher's chance.

Whoever is trying to trash Rex after the fact with stories like this really needs to come up with something that passes the smell test.

Is the guy who once said he and Rex used to complete each other's sentences putting this BS out?

Edited by Peter

Hated Pettine?

yes. He was benched, with a winning record, for Manziel. Manziel was coming into meetings drunk and had no commitment to the team or the position. Before he was benched they forced him to give a ton of targets to Josh Gordon, who wanted him benched for his BFF Johnny and so he cut off his routes and didn't fight for the ball, leading to INTs. It was bitter. Hoyer was the hometown kid, had a record of 10-6 with the team, and was set up to fail so they could get Manziel out there (in his mind). That's from a former WR teammate of Hoyer who was on the team at the time. Edited by YoloinOhio

actually they would still be in contention right now had they beaten Miami, so why say they were eliminated?

IF they had beaten Miami, they would still be in contention is exactly why I used the term Mathematically. Realistically when you let Oakland come back like they did and then let Bell get 236 yards on the ground you may as well cue Jim Mora. Please. Like I said if you want to kick the horse, it is still dead.

Edited by iinii

It is ALSO troubling if false, more troubling IMO. I think if there are leaks he needs to make sure all staff - front office, coaching, marketing, support and even the guy in locker room picking up towels and calling ESPN, etc that leaks are violation of contract and people will be fired with cause means NO unemployment (Leroi will not get beer and weed money) and those such as coaches will have their contract disputed with union.

Yes, I agree with this.