Is Whaley going into the off-season trying to save his job?

Obviously. B-)

Today was a complete disaster for the Bills. Lynn said Jones would start when he meant EJ, then he got all tangled up about who decided to sit TT. He is not ready for the podium that is for sure and going from RB coach to OC to HC in four months would be a huge mistake.

Even worse than all this is making Lynn face the media to handle questions about TT and Rex and so forth when Whaley and Russ should have been there to answer these questions as well as just being supportive of Lynn. Today showed all of the dysfunction of this franchise in one glorious press conference!! good job Bills you are certainly starting off on the right foot and are inspiring confidence in this organization league wide, GO BILLS :worthy::worthy::worthy:

that would be a NFL Tank job

Well maybe they are planning on tanking. Will let Gilmore and the other 22 FA's go and try and start building the team through the draft. Who knows? But I can tell you one thing, Anthony Lynn is a disaster as a HC. I'm all for giving a guy a chance, but this guy needs to be throughly scrutinized.

Well maybe they are planning on tanking. Will let Gilmore and the other 22 FA's go and try and start building the team through the draft. Who knows? But I can tell you one thing, Anthony Lynn is a disaster as a HC. I'm all for giving a guy a chance, but this guy needs to be throughly scrutinized.

Why is everyone already assuming that Lynn will be the HC.

a disaster of a head coach? He hasnt even coached one game but you are willing to give him a chance?since when is an nfl hc's success determined at the podium, maybe we should have just kept rex then. Im more interested in seeing how he actually coaches and how the team plays not the stupid media trying to get there stories and agendas across.

Why is everyone already assuming that Lynn will be the HC.

Mostly because he needs a HC that he can control and someone who doesn't want power over the roster. A few weeks ago it was let slip that Ryan would be fired with three games to go and Lynn would be promoted to HC. Also, the team (Whaley) wanted to see what Cardale Jones could do as starting QB the last three games. I can only think Whaley has visions of Jones being another Dak Prescott.

Besides, this is Russ Brandon's way of avoiding accountability and in two years after Lynn, Whaley are fired, he can start all over with Bills director of player personnel Jim Monos.

Now that the owner didn't want to fire Ryan while the team still had a chance to make the playoffs the brighter minds decided that at this point Jones isn't ready and the team might want to either showcase EJ or take a long hard look at him as a decent backup. Something tells me that Whaley isn't happy with Tyrod Taylor as he isn't "his" QB and would rather not pay him and keep EJ and let Jones have a shot at starting next year.

The entire NFL world knows the situation in Buffalo is toxic with Brandon still involved in the football side by sitting in the player's cut meetings on the phone to free agents among other things. (Something Rex Ryan probably let slip to the media.) With Doug Whaley at odds with both Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan over the roster and who should be starting. Marrone had that shouting match with Whaley, Brandon about the roster remember?

Just know that the current offense wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if Rex Ryan hadn't vouched for and asked that Richie Incognito be brought in to play OG. Ryan also chased Cowboys OG La'el Collins as he wined and dined him to be a Buffalo Bill and instead he chose Dallas. That player would have been such a great addition to the line and it makes me wonder what the team offered him vs what the Cowboys offered him. Just know that Tyrod Taylor was all Rex Ryan's idea and it looks like Whaley doesn't fully support him for the Bills starting QB position. Percy Harvin was also Rex's idea that just didn't pan out.

Ryan wasn't that bad in helping build a team although his defensive scheme never really realized it's potential of being in the top ten. If the FO had any real insight they probably should have asked Ryan to fire his brother along with the current defensive staff and when he refused the team then had grounds to dismiss him for insubordination. An old RW-AD trick which allows the owner to fire the HC and then not pay him his remaining salary.

Anyway, I don't see a big name assistant coach or ex NFL HC wanting to come to Buffalo under the current regime. Plus, I don't see Anthony Lynn hiring some really good assistants either considering the current situation in which the head coach can't even name his own starting QB.

Mostly because he needs a HC that he can control and someone who doesn't want power over the roster. A few weeks ago it was let slip that Ryan would be fired with three games to go and Lynn would be promoted to HC. Also, the team (Whaley) wanted to see what Cardale Jones could do as starting QB the last three games. I can only think Whaley has visions of Jones being another Dak Prescott.

Besides, this is Russ Brandon's way of avoiding accountability and in two years after Lynn, Whaley are fired, he can start all over with Bills director of player personnel Jim Monos.

Now that the owner didn't want to fire Ryan while the team still had a chance to make the playoffs the brighter minds decided that at this point Jones isn't ready and the team might want to either showcase EJ or take a long hard look at him as a decent backup. Something tells me that Whaley isn't happy with Tyrod Taylor as he isn't "his" QB and would rather not pay him and keep EJ and let Jones have a shot at starting next year.

The entire NFL world knows the situation in Buffalo is toxic with Brandon still involved in the football side by sitting in the player's cut meetings on the phone to free agents among other things. (Something Rex Ryan probably let slip to the media.) With Doug Whaley at odds with both Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan over the roster and who should be starting. Marrone had that shouting match with Whaley, Brandon about the roster remember?

Just know that the current offense wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if Rex Ryan hadn't vouched for and asked that Richie Incognito be brought in to play OG. Ryan also chased Cowboys OG La'el Collins as he wined and dined him to be a Buffalo Bill and instead he chose Dallas. That player would have been such a great addition to the line and it makes me wonder what the team offered him vs what the Cowboys offered him. Just know that Tyrod Taylor was all Rex Ryan's idea and it looks like Whaley doesn't fully support him for the Bills starting QB position. Percy Harvin was also Rex's idea that just didn't pan out.

Ryan wasn't that bad in helping build a team although his defensive scheme never really realized it's potential of being in the top ten. If the FO had any real insight they probably should have asked Ryan to fire his brother along with the current defensive staff and when he refused the team then had grounds to dismiss him for insubordination. An old RW-AD trick which allows the owner to fire the HC and then not pay him his remaining salary.

Anyway, I don't see a big name assistant coach or ex NFL HC wanting to come to Buffalo under the current regime. Plus, I don't see Anthony Lynn hiring some really good assistants either considering the current situation in which the head coach can't even name his own starting QB.

Right on.

Its year one again... but in a couple years, brandon will pull the same accountibility shell game with whaley and promote monos as gm to maintain the status quo. We will be at year one for what seems like the 20th try

They so need someone from the outside to change the course once and for all. The shell game we have witnessed for about 11 or 12 years needs to stop

Edited by May Day 10

Why would you tank a team that was .500 for the last 3 seasons and is a mediocre defense away from the playoffs? Tanking is no guarantee that you will get your Unicorn of a franchise QB. And while you are tanking the good parts of the team will be falling apart due to age and star players wanting to get off a tanking ship. What are your chances of resigning Sammy in the midst of a tank?

Whaleys job security is going to be tied to the success and or failure of his first ever HC.

Most GMs get two HC picks, Whaley will get one because hard to give him another with 3 HCs fired (eventhough he didnt hire 2).

WRONG.. This is the 3rd Coach he had input on. Completely absolving him of the other 2 is just wrong. Secondly his guy was Hue Jackson anyway so that was a whiff. Whaley needed to go just as everyone in the media has been saying.. But in typical Bills fandom anyone writing anything negative is dismissed as a hack or idiot even while writing such has been CORRECT for many years now...

I'm worried that history will repeat itself with DW. Forcing project QB's on whomever takes the HC job and making block-headed draft day trades like he did with Sammy.

Worse yet I'm concerned Lynn will become the HC with no experience.

The offseason and draft weekend could be worse than a tire fire.

Just stop. Every GM is working to keep their job every single year. Whaley has done a decent job except for helping to pick Rex as HC. I have said this before, but I will repeat it. My guess is that Rex interviews very well. He probably says all of the right things and they bought into his BS. Not just Whaley, but the Pegulas as well. This is a talented team, they were just poorly coached. Let's hope they get the right guy this time and I believe you will see dramatic improvement.

So Russ Brandon has no influence on the football side, yet he unilaterally hired the head coach in 2013... and also, Doug Whaley, the GM had no say in the head coach in 2015. Only the owners who had owned the team for 2 months? No other input?

Whaley had no input on the HC, and Brandon is a marketing-only guy cannot co-exist.

This organization is a joke. If Lynn becomes HC we are lost for 2 years. We need a smart HC, not a company yes man.

I feel like Lynn being hired is also going to put Whaley on the hot seat (not necessarily in a bad way).

Rex didnt need help putting a staff together (in his mind). He was self sustained and pretty much knew who he wanted and where he wanted them.

Lynn on the other hand is a position coach who has carved a very specific niche for himself. Hes going to need a ton of help putting together a staff. Thats where Whaley will need to step up, IMO. There wont be anywhere to hide if Lynn fails, because Whaley will be just as responsible for not only the players, but the coaches this time around.

So fast forward to end of next year, if its a miserable failure, clean house.

I feel like Lynn being hired is also going to put Whaley on the hot seat (not necessarily in a bad way).

Rex didnt need help putting a staff together (in his mind). He was self sustained and pretty much knew who he wanted and where he wanted them.

Lynn on the other hand is a position coach who has carved a very specific niche for himself. Hes going to need a ton of help putting together a staff. Thats where Whaley will need to step up, IMO. There wont be anywhere to hide if Lynn fails, because Whaley will be just as responsible for not only the players, but the coaches this time around.

So fast forward to end of next year, if its a miserable failure, clean house.

Good point. It looks like the general housecleaning on the defensive side will be coming on Monday. If Lynn gets the permanent job after his one game audition in a game with about as much importance as a pre-season scrimmage, it will be on him and Whaley to hire a defensive coaching staff. Lynn's been around the NFL since the year the drought began, but all of his recent history—the last 8 seasons—has been as a member of Rex Ryan's staff.