Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

With regard to outside perception, here is Tom Curran from NE . Like it or not, perception actually does matter, and pretending it doesn't is the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-mcdaniels-should-be-choosy-about-his-next-job

"Meanwhile, Whaleys been a phantom when it comes to facing the music as to whats gone wrong in Buffalo which is an awful look for any prospective head coach. Its a tacit announcement that the team is operating behind a veil and the guy wholl take the arrows from the media is the one whos coaching the team not the one assembling it."

Good post.

I like that Curran compares several different situations to give context.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post.

I like that Curran compares several different situations to give context.

Yeah, it was a really good piece. The interesting one for me is Goff. He doesn't look like a savior to me, but I've seen so little and honestly don't have a clue. LA is a great job if he's real and the worst one if he isn't.

Did they punt with 4 minutes left in overtime when a tie eliminated them?

And for the record, I was relieved when the Dolphins decided to punt. That should tell you something.

Four minutes is enough time to get the ball back. The Bills defense stopped the Dolphins on the prior drive and the Dolphins took 2:19 off the clock.

People have treated Rex's decision to punt as essentially insane and no other coach would have done the same thing. Yet, the other coach (who some here have praised) - in the same game on the preceding drive - decided to punt from OUR end of the field.

Two of the criticisms were that we punted because we could not rely on our defense and we needed the win. Gase decided to punt even though the Dolphins defense gave up MORE yards than the Bills and the Dolphins needed two wins going into the game to control their own destiny. Although a tie would not eliminate them, they would need help from other teams and/or have to beat the Patriots in week 17. Going into the weekend, a tie would only clinch a playoff spot for the Dolphins in combination with a (1) loss by Baltimore; AND (2) a loss by Denver; AND (3) Houston loss or tie; or (4) a Tennessee loss or tie.

Obviously, the Bills lost the game. There are a lot of reasons for the loss. These include, among other things, missed field goals, missed PI calls in the end zone, and missed tackles. The Bills fought back from being down to take the lead and lost to a good team by three points and should have won the game but for a missed field goal in OT and missed PI calls and tackles. But to many here and in the media, this game is known as the game where Rex was insane to punt the ball and no other coach or person who was not brain dead would have made the same decision.

Nevertheless, with all due respect to the many here and in the media, the decision to punt was not as illogical or insane as many here and in the media think. I understand why a coach could decide to go for it or punt. If I had to make the call, I could have gone either way. Head coaches have to make tough calls. Gase and Rex made similar calls not knowing whether they would get the ball back in OT.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

Four minutes is enough time to get the ball back. The Bills defense stopped the Dolphins on the prior drive and the Dolphins took 2:19 off the clock.

People have treated Rex's decision to punt as essentially insane and no other coach would have done the same thing. Yet, the other coach (who some here have praised) - in the same game on the preceding drive - decided to punt from OUR end of the field.

Two of the criticisms were that we punted because we could not rely on our defense and we needed the win. Gase decided to punt even though the Dolphins defense gave up MORE yards than the Bills and the Dolphins needed two wins going into the game to control their own destiny. Although a tie would not eliminate them, they would need help from other teams and/or have to beat the Patriots in week 17. Going into the weekend, a tie would only clinch a playoff spot for the Dolphins in combination with a (1) loss by Baltimore; AND (2) a loss by Denver; AND (3) Houston loss or tie; or (4) a Tennessee loss or tie.

Obviously, the Bills lost the game. There are a lot of reasons for the loss. These these include, among other things, missed field goals, missed PI calls in the end zone, and missed tackles. The Bills fought back from being down to take the lead and lost to a good team by three points and should have won the game but for a missed field goal in OT and missed PI calls and tackles. By many here and in the media, this game is known as the game where Rex was insane to punt the ball and no other coach or person who was not brain dead would have made the same decision.

Nevertheless, with all due respect to the many here and in the media, the decision to punt was not as illogical or insane as many here and in the media think. I understand why a coach could decide to go for it or punt. If I had to make the call, I could have gone either way. Head coaches have to make tough calls. Gase and Rex made similar calls not knowing whether they would get the ball back in OT.

Just my two cents.

This is correct. I'm no fan of Rex, but 4:09 and two TOs allows not just for a 3 and out but for Miami to get one first down and to still have time to engineer a FG drive. Having said this, looking back now the Bills D looked completely beaten down on Miami's final posession, and not just because of the first run. Miami was looking at a 46 yd fg attempt but the Bills had no energy and couldn't get any push. Miami was able to bulldoze them into a chip shot with ease. A coach should recognize that his D isn't up to it anymore too--defenses fade faster than offenses in OT. Rex didn't recognize this. Edited by dave mcbride

This is correct. I'm no fan of Rex, but 4:09 and two TOs allows not just for a 3 and out but for Miami to get one first down and to still have time to engineer a FG drive. Having said this, looking back now the Bills D looked completely beaten down on Miami's final posession, and not just because of the first run. Miami was looking at a 46 yd fg attempt but the Bills had no energy and couldn't get any push. Miami was able to bulldoze them into a chip shot with ease. A coach should recognize that his D isn't up to it anymore too--defenses fade faster than offenses in OT. Rex didn't recognize this.

The Bills only had one timeout at that point in OT.

Yeah, it was a really good piece. The interesting one for me is Goff. He doesn't look like a savior to me, but I've seen so little and honestly don't have a clue. LA is a great job if he's real and the worst one if he isn't.

I said in the lead up to the 2016 draft that, QB-wise, it reminded me of the 2008 class with Goff comparing to Matt Ryan and Wentz comparing to Joe Flacco.

Goff seems to be slower in coming along than Ryan, but for now I'll stick by that opinion.

I said in the lead up to the 2016 draft that, QB-wise, it reminded me of the 2008 class with Goff comparing to Matt Ryan and Wentz comparing to Joe Flacco.

Goff seems to be slower in coming along than Ryan, but for now I'll stick by that opinion.

I loved Goff until I heard him do the QB camp thing with Gruden. That west coast personality always raises red flags, sprinkle in some immaturity and that BOY GONA NEED WERK!

This is correct. I'm no fan of Rex, but 4:09 and two TOs allows not just for a 3 and out but for Miami to get one first down and to still have time to engineer a FG drive. Having said this, looking back now the Bills D looked completely beaten down on Miami's final posession, and not just because of the first run. Miami was looking at a 46 yd fg attempt but the Bills had no energy and couldn't get any push. Miami was able to bulldoze them into a chip shot with ease. A coach should recognize that his D isn't up to it anymore too--defenses fade faster than offenses in OT. Rex didn't recognize this.

Thank you for treating my post seriously and not dismissing it out of hand.

I loved Goff until I heard him do the QB camp thing with Gruden. That west coast personality always raises red flags, sprinkle in some immaturity and that BOY GONA NEED WERK!

But he's playing on the west coast. That should be a match made in heaven,

Oh look, name-calling...shocking.

And a great argument to boot!

No, I took journalism as a series of electives because I liked writing. My major was civil engineering (and since I appreciate your concern about my job status, you can rest assured that I not only got a job before I graduated and remain gainfully employed with that firm, but I also run a health and wellness company).

If you have an issue with my opinion, feel free to show me why the columnist you so ardently defend compares favorably to his peers.

Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

My last post on this. I am happy you have a good career, seriously. I am just sensitive to people dismissing Jerry or any journalist, just because they attack the Bills organization, which I think is bush league and constantly disappoints. I see it like this: what would you think if Sullivan saw your work, which he knows nothing about, and nevertheless ripped it on a website? You'd say he was a dope, right?

That's pretty well how I see the posters who abuse journalists for ripping the Bills. Anyway, Happy New Year! Hopefully 2017 will bring playoffs to Western NY.

Thank you for treating my post seriously and not dismissing it out of hand.

We haven't agreed on much lately but I was going to respond the same as well.

4 minutes was plenty of time to get the ball back.........punting there was a reasonable judgement call.....not an obvious gaffe as it is being portrayed.

Much of the issue in recent weeks has just been players bailing.

I love me some Sammy.......but Sammy should not have stepped out of bounds on the play prior to the punt.

The cook at our tailgate lost his sh*t at Sammy over that and they were yelling at each other from the stands/sideline. :lol:

We haven't agreed on much lately but I was going to respond the same as well.

4 minutes was plenty of time to get the ball back.........punting there was a reasonable judgement call.....not an obvious gaffe as it is being portrayed.

Much of the issue in recent weeks has just been players bailing.

I love me some Sammy.......but Sammy should not have stepped out of bounds on the play prior to the punt.

The cook at our tailgate lost his sh*t at Sammy over that and they were yelling at each other from the stands/sideline. :lol:

Thank you. I appreciate that. Happy New Year.

Sully aside; he's not the only one who noticed and is talking about this press conference. It may seem like a small thing compared to what is going on big picture with the Bills, but I think it shows a tremendous lack of leadership by Bills brass. Pegula fired Rex, ultimately it was his decision as the owner. Terry should have called a press conference that day instead of writing some BS statement from behind the curtain. Get out front and lead. What you absolutely don't do is shove your interim HC out there, unprepared, and let him take on the firing squad for you. It's a weak play that makes you (the owner) and the organization look bad. Especially when you consider the fact that A.Lynn was a RB coach just a few months prior. Not sure he's completely ready to be a OC let alone the HC of an NFL team.

We need a leader who knows football. Pegula knows he's not that guy. I guess he's rolling the dice that Doug Whaley can fill the roll. Personally, I think Doug is driven more about saving his own ass than working to build a winner and change the culture here.

Sully aside; he's not the only one who noticed and is talking about this press conference. It may seem like a small thing compared to what is going on big picture with the Bills, but I think it shows a tremendous lack of leadership by Bills brass. Pegula fired Rex, ultimately it was his decision as the owner. Terry should have called a press conference that day instead of writing some BS statement from behind the curtain. Get out front and lead. What you absolutely don't do is shove your interim HC out there, unprepared, and let him take on the firing squad for you. It's a weak play that makes you (the owner) and the organization look bad. Especially when you consider the fact that A.Lynn was a RB coach just a few months prior. Not sure he's completely ready to be a OC let alone the HC of an NFL team.

We need a leader who knows football. Pegula knows he's not that guy. I guess he's rolling the dice that Doug Whaley can fill the roll. Personally, I think Doug is driven more about saving his own ass than working to build a winner and change the culture here.

This doesn't make any sense at all to me because if he does not produce a winning team it'll only be a matter of time before he's gone. He and everyone else in the football department at OBD know this.

This doesn't make any sense at all to me because if he does not produce a winning team it'll only be a matter of time before he's gone. He and everyone else in the football department at OBD know this.

That should be obvious. Is Whaley GM-ing for his job? Uh, yeah? Like who isn't?

just the feeling I get from Whaley as a fan. this next hire is all him and it needs to be a good one.

My last post on this. I am happy you have a good career, seriously. I am just sensitive to people dismissing Jerry or any journalist, just because they attack the Bills organization, which I think is bush league and constantly disappoints. I see it like this: what would you think if Sullivan saw your work, which he knows nothing about, and nevertheless ripped it on a website? You'd say he was a dope, right?

That's pretty well how I see the posters who abuse journalists for ripping the Bills. Anyway, Happy New Year! Hopefully 2017 will bring playoffs to Western NY.

No worries, I don't get offended and I don't have a problem with journalists criticizing the organization; they've earned it and then some.

My problem is when the criticism is juvenile and generally lacking any type of sensible insight into solving the problem.

And indeed--Happy New Year...though I think we both know playoffs in 2017 aren't a strong likelihood (barring a miracle at QB) :lol: