Weigh in now: HC, OC, DC

boyst

HC-David Shaw

OC-Anthony Lynn

DC-Lovie Smith

Lovie isn't likely to be quitting his job as HC at Illinois to be a DC again and he's a Tampa-2 guy which I do not like.

This isn't my call but I'd love to get Shaw so here's a Shaw scenario:

HC-David Shaw

OC-Pep Hamilton

DC-Vic Fangio

There is an all-Stanford.....Harbaugh/Roman staff.

Fangio was the Niners DC under Harbaugh when they were probably the most physical D in the league and has done a very good job in Chicago but reportedly wants out.

Hamilton would be assuming Lynn wouldn't be Shaw's candidate.......or accept.......the OC job. I'd love to keep Lynn and Roman's playbook and build on it.

Pep followed Luck from Stanford but got fired in Indy and he's currently the OC in Cleveland but Hue is really the OC there so maybe Pep could get out to a job where he is actually the real OC.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovie isn't likely to be quitting his job as HC at Illinois to be a DC again and he's a Tampa-2 guy which I do not like.

HC-David Shaw

OC-Pep Hamilton

DC-Vic Fangio

Fangio was the Niners DC under Harbaugh when they were probably the most physical D in the league and has done a very good job in Chicago but reportedly wants out.

Hamilton would be assuming Lynn wouldn't be Shaw's candidate.......or accept.......the OC job. I'd love to keep Lynn and Roman's playbook and build on it.

Pep followed Luck from Stanford but got fired in Indy and he's currently the OC in Cleveland but Hue is really the OC there so maybe Pep could get out to a job where he is actually the real OC.

David Shaw and Vic Fangio (surprised you were the first to mention him - he seems to have fallen out with Fox so is likely available whether Fox stays or goes and has a stellar resume) are the dream.

Not sure on Pep Hamilton. His lack of willingness to leave extra pass protectors in when the future of the Colts was getting battered black and blue makes he question how adaptable he is.

If Lynn won't stay as OC what about Bill Callahan? Would maintain the offensive line as a focal point of the offense and he was offensive coordinator in Dallas when they started to develop their current scheme - the year Murray and Romo lit the league up. Shaw worked under him with Oakland in the late 90s when Callahan was the coordinator and I think give that you would have a young first time NFL Head Coach I would think Callahan and Fangio's experience would be a really effective support structure.

All this is moot though I fear. Not sure Shaw is going to jump from Stanford unless he is presented an absolutely perfect scenario and the Bills at the moment do not represent that.

HC-David Shaw

OC-Pep Hamilton

DC-Vic Fangio

Interesting selections. Not sure of Pep since he couldn't win with Luck on his side. Fangio hasn't done much in Chicago, but his first three years as DC in SF were top three Defenses. Was it him or personnel? If it was him it'd be a good pickup. Don't know enough about Shaw to have an opinion.

Fangio hasn't done much in Chicago, but his first three years as DC in SF were top three Defenses. Was it him or personnel? If it was him it'd be a good pickup.

He inherited a 30th ranked D in Chicago and they finished ranked 14th last year and are currently 13th this year. He is getting the most out of what he has there. Kinda the opposite to Rex.

Honestly, I would want Lynn as HC and Schwartz as DC, but I want both and Schwartz HC and Lynn OC is more likely.

At the moment, public opinion has turned on Schwartz in Philly, but early on the Eagles offense looked great. However, as time wore down it became apparent that he had Leodis McKelvin and Nigel Bradham as leaders of their position groups. When people who watch the tape looked at games I heard a lot of "The man simply can't blitz more, he has to keep 4 men rushing all the time because without the other 7 in pass protection they are doomed"

I honestly think we are best suited for Schwartz's Wide 9 defense again. This is the front 7 going purely off what we have on roster right now.

Hughes-Dareus-Kyle-Shaq

(Hughes is back as a 9 tech, Shaq works as a 7 tech, Darues goes back to 1 or 2i techniuqe, Kyle stays where he is best)

Preston-Ragland-Zach in standard Preston-Zach in nickel

(Preston is OK in coverage, better in run support. Zach had a great season on the weak side. I am projecting Ragland in the middle as the 2 gapping run killer)

Meanwhile, our offense was quietly decent this year, in spite of disaster. We are 7th in scoring and 1st in rushing totals and YPA. If you don't have THE GUY, it's the best setup you can hope for (though I want another WR)

David Shaw and Vic Fangio (surprised you were the first to mention him - he seems to have fallen out with Fox so is likely available whether Fox stays or goes and has a stellar resume) are the dream.

Not sure on Pep Hamilton. His lack of willingness to leave extra pass protectors in when the future of the Colts was getting battered black and blue makes he question how adaptable he is.

If Lynn won't stay as OC what about Bill Callahan? Would maintain the offensive line as a focal point of the offense and he was offensive coordinator in Dallas when they started to develop their current scheme - the year Murray and Romo lit the league up. Shaw worked under him with Oakland in the late 90s when Callahan was the coordinator and I think give that you would have a young first time NFL Head Coach I would think Callahan and Fangio's experience would be a really effective support structure.

All this is moot though I fear. Not sure Shaw is going to jump from Stanford unless he is presented an absolutely perfect scenario and the Bills at the moment do not represent that.

I'm not a Pep fan either but my guess is that Shaw is. Just a guess.

Callahan is nice but I don't really want to change the scheme..........I've said many times that this OL is not that good.......Dallas OL was MUCH more talented........even if Glenn and Kujo man the tackles the pass pro at G/C/G would not be good without Tyrod at the helm.

Changing this offense without getting a Philip Rivers type who could overcome bad pass pro is likely going to look a lot like going from Schwartz D to Rex D.

Top 1/3 scoring to bottom 1/3.

And I highly doubt Shaw or Shanahan or any really hot coordinator prospect would see this job as very good.

The team is aging and the offense is predicated on the play of a passer who is very unconventional.

This is a win-now roster without a franchise QB. Probably better off staying with Lynn....keeping continuity on O.........defense is a very easy fix........and if it doesn't work "drain the swamp" next offseason.

Honestly, I would want Lynn as HC and Schwartz as DC, but I want both and Schwartz HC and Lynn OC is more likely.

At the moment, public opinion has turned on Schwartz in Philly, but early on the Eagles offense looked great. However, as time wore down it became apparent that he had Leodis McKelvin and Nigel Bradham as leaders of their position groups. When people who watch the tape looked at games I heard a lot of "The man simply can't blitz more, he has to keep 4 men rushing all the time because without the other 7 in pass protection they are doomed"

I honestly think we are best suited for Schwartz's Wide 9 defense again. This is the front 7 going purely off what we have on roster right now.

Hughes-Dareus-Kyle-Shaq

(Hughes is back as a 9 tech, Shaq works as a 7 tech, Darues goes back to 1 or 2i techniuqe, Kyle stays where he is best)

(Preston is OK in coverage, better in run support. Zach had a great season on the weak side. I am projecting Ragland in the middle as the 2 gapping run killer)

Meanwhile, our offense was quietly decent this year, in spite of disaster. We are 7th in scoring and 1st in rushing totals and YPA. If you don't have THE GUY, it's the best setup you can hope for (though I want another WR)

I would love Lynn as the HC and Schwartz as the DC, but that can't happen since he's already the DC with the Eagles, he would have to become HC unless his contract expires after this season? I don't recall how long Schwartz's contract was for.

Hughes-Dareus-Kyle-Shaq

Preston gets pushed all over the field. He needs to learn to suplex or something because he can't take down ball carriers.

I'm not a Pep fan either but my guess is that Shaw is. Just a guess.

Callahan is nice but I don't really want to change the scheme..........I've said many times that this OL is not that good.......Dallas OL was MUCH more talented........even if Glenn and Kujo man the tackles the pass pro at G/C/G would not be good without Tyrod at the helm.

Changing this offense without getting a Philip Rivers type who could overcome bad pass pro is likely going to look a lot like going from Schwartz D to Rex D.

Top 1/3 scoring to bottom 1/3.

And I highly doubt Shaw or Shanahan or any really hot coordinator prospect would see this job as very good.

The team is aging and the offense is predicated on the play of a passer who is very unconventional.

This is a win-now roster without a franchise QB. Probably better off staying with Lynn....keeping continuity on O.........defense is a very easy fix........and if it doesn't work "drain the swamp" next offseason.

Agreed.

HC - Kyle Shanahan (Love his offense, and have since his Washington days)

OC - Matt LaFleur (Bring along the QB coach with a promotion)

DC - Gus Bradley (Better Coordinator than HC, runs a D that fits our personnel decently)

Hard pressed to find a better combination than this. Don't forget that Shanahan is working under Dan Quinn so he's got an inside track on Bradley as a man and as a coach right there.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Hard pressed to find a better combination than this. Don't forget that Shanahan is working under Dan Quinn so he's got an inside track on Bradley as a man and as a coach right there.

Oops, noticed a typo in my post from your quote! Gus Bradley is a better coordinator than HC, not OC! Though I suppose he's a better DC than OC as well, so maybe it works?

I would love Lynn as the HC and Schwartz as the DC, but that can't happen since he's already the DC with the Eagles, he would have to become HC unless his contract expires after this season? I don't recall how long Schwartz's contract was for.

Yeah, that's why I flipped it. They would need to offer the HC job, or hope that Schwartz gets fired. Honestly, there's a chance the Eagles might do it. Public opinion has turned heavily against Schwartz, though I think a lot of it isn't his fault.