Bills Announce Whaley to Lead the Head Coaching Search

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Terry will decide who coaches so that will be hard to blame on Whaley. at Worst it will be he the wrong recommendation or didn't interview the best candidates.

Likely not. The Pegulas will likely provide final approval of whatever recommendation Whaley makes as it happens with many NFL franchises.

I have no problem with Whaley making the recommendation for the new HC, and the Pegula's give it their blessing...assuming the blessing is nothing more than a formality. If Whaley identifies his man, and then the Pegula's veto it, the Bills dysfunction will continue...in a major way.

Agreed. I think that is highly unlikely however.

So if Whaley was never that in to Wrex Wyan, how did he get so lucky to have Anthony Lynn (a Wrex protege) just happen to be the best guy for the HC job, now?

don't know where this coming from, Doug said said he was in agreement with the committee which said was Himself, Russ, Terry and Kim. the only difference now is that Russ will supposedly not be involved this time due to "too many other things to do."

Likely not. The Pegulas will likely provide final approval of whatever recommendation Whaley makes as it happens with many NFL franchises.

it is pretty clear from these interviews that Pegs runs the show and Doug clearly stated that Terry would decide who the coach will be.

So if Whaley was never that in to Wrex Wyan, how did he get so lucky to have Anthony Lynn (a Wrex protege) just happen to be the best guy for the HC job, now?

I think if Rex didn't fire Roman in game two, Lynn would not at all be the front runner for the job. He saw how the offense responded. He saw that he was much more of the disciplinarian type. He would have had a lot of respect for Lynn because he has that respect around the league after being in it for 24 years. But he wouldn't have been Whaley's choice.

don't know where this coming from, Doug said said he was in agreement with the committee which said was Himself, Russ, Terry and Kim. the only difference now is that Russ will supposedly not be involved this time due to "too many other things to do."

it is pretty clear from these interviews that Pegs runs the show and Doug clearly stated that Terry would decide who the coach will be.

No, it's not at all. Ultimately they have to approve the selection, but I believe it'll be Whaley's call as it should be. There's no other way to hold him 100% accountable for what happens on the field.

It was reported that Whaley had Jackson pegged as his choice (also speculation but that's the word). I only can guess this might be true based on his initial reaction to the question:

Q: Doug, you mentioned the last coaching search was done by committee approach. What was your personal recommendation in January of 2015 on Rex Ryan?

A: I will not get into that.

Then later said this:

Q: So are you not responsible for the hiring of Rex Ryan? Was that not your guy?

A: It’s a Bills hire, so I’m part of it. Yes.

Then even later:

Q: But you not taking ownership of the previous thing, you know part of that committee – you said you don’t want to get into it. If you agreed with the hire –

A: I did.

Q: You agreed with it?

A: I did. It’s a Bills hire. Correct.

He's making it about the team hiring someone more than about himself. Could be deflecting blame but also doesn't want to say that he wasn't his choice but backed up the owners and russ which would sound even worse IMO.

Edited by The Wiz

No, it's not at all. Ultimately they have to approve the selection, but I believe it'll be Whaley's call as it should be. There's no other way to hold him 100% accountable for what happens on the field.

they are not rubber stamping any decision and it will be a committee of Doug, Terry and Kim. We may want it all 100% on Doug but that is not how they are doing things

they are not rubber stamping any decision and it will be a committee of Doug, Terry and Kim. We may want it all 100% on Doug but that is not how they are doing things

The last time the Pegulas attended all of the interviews. It was a committee. They had most on the boat, and also flew to a couple cities. Brandon was also in all of the interviews. There were a lot of reasons for this, some good and some bad. This time Doug said he will conduct the interviews. The Pegulas won't be there. Brandon will not be there. The committee will not make the recommendation only one guy will.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The committee approach is what happened last time when Rex was hired. Not this time. Sheesh!

The committee approach is what happened last time when Rex was hired. Not this time. Sheesh!

did you listen to the interview and see the Kim quotes? THEY are deciding.

edit: I was technically wrong Jim Manos and Whaley will be involved in the search, but it is clear that the Pegulas will decide which will be a committee approach to who coaches. if not this means Doug has no decision at all and the HC decision lies squarely on the Pegs

Staring at 3:11 Doug says he is leading a search with Manos and then the Pegs will decide.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Doug-Whaleys-Full-Press-Conference/9acf959c-8f33-4719-a86c-ed0094d76ae7

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I wonder if Whaley wanted Schwartz the first time around and if he at least gets an interview.

Anyone who thinks we're getting an O guy outside of Lynn....it's just not happening. We're in almost the same position when Marrone quit and maybe worse then that. What "hot" offensive mind takes this job?

I wonder if Whaley wanted Schwartz the first time around and if he at least gets an interview. Anyone who thinks we're getting an O guy outside of Lynn....it's just not happening. We're in almost the same position when Marrone quit and maybe worse then that. What "hot" offensive mind takes this job?

JIM BOB COOTER!!!

I really just wanted to say his name.

Edited by The Wiz

But Terry will decide who coaches so that will be hard to blame on Whaley. at Worst it will be he the wrong recommendation or didn't interview the best candidates.

Well, I doubt that Whaley will be successful at throwing the Pegulas under the bus so this will be on him no matter what.

I wonder if Whaley wanted Schwartz the first time around and if he at least gets an interview.

Anyone who thinks we're getting an O guy outside of Lynn....it's just not happening. We're in almost the same position when Marrone quit and maybe worse then that. What "hot" offensive mind takes this job?

Schwartz was interviewed before Rex was, actually.