So Who's Fault Is It Really ?? Coach or Players ?

T master

Thanks. And he also makes a clear, succinct argument as to why Taylor should be a Bill next year. I think I agree.

Of course he does and he blocks anyone that makes a clear and succint as to why we shouldnt. Reason i wont ever give him a click. Poor snowflake

This was a great article by Chris Trapasso outlining the issues with Rex's scheme.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/26/14080850/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-tyrod-taylor-sammy-watkins-lesean-mccoy

Absolute garbage on TT. He hand picks stats that make Tyrod appear better than he actually is and/or better than Carr, when clearly he is not even close. He failed to mention Carr has a 96.7 rating this year compared to TT's 89.7. Or that Carr's rating is up this year and TT's is down. Or that Carr's YPG is up over last year and TT's is down, and Carr's is obviously higher. Or that Carr's completion percentage is higher and up from last year and TT"s is down and lower. Or that Carr has a better TD-INT ratio and more yards. Or that the supposedly gifted running QB has 42 sacks to Carr's 16, a sad indictment of his inability to read defense and get rid of the ball quickly, not an indictment of the OL. Or that Carr's Or that their rating head-to-head a few weeks ago was Carr 97.3 - TT 55.8.

Most importantly, Carr was 5-3 against teams with a winning record and 7-0 against teams with a losing record. TT was 1-7 against teams with a winning record and 6-1 against losers. Both are good at beating on the weak but Carr wins more tough games than he loses, a sign of a winner.

How many other ways can we say TT is a mediocre QB?

So this joker picked a few useless points and tried to built a case to spend $29M (or whatever the ridiculous figure is) on him. One of the worst uses of descriptive statistics I've seen and that guy is a joke for it.

Save the rating arguments for another point because it's useless here.

One of the worst uses of descriptive statistics I've seen and that guy is a joke for it.

I posted this in the fire Rex thread, but think it's applicable here as well-

It is very possible that Rex does not have the horses he needs to field an effective D.

I'm sure most of us remember watching the exotic and aggressive schemes he put forth with the Jets. Why does our D not look like that? Quite simply, personnel.

I see two main problems with our personnel that, IMO, is not allowing Rex and company to run their D.

1. Safety play. Complete garbage at safety is forcing Rex to rush three and protect the back end.

2. I don't think our defenders, at the key positions of LB and S, are smart enough to run the scheme. Missed assignments and confusion has forced Rex to be much less complex than we have seen when he has fielded strong D's. Maybe Ragland is the answer at LB and hopefully we can get one of the stud safeties in the draft.

I am still a fan of the Ryan defense, I just don't think we've seen it on the Bills yet. It is more dependent on specific personnel than some schemes (Schwartz), but, when you DO have the players- it's a joy to watch.

I think it is possible that Ryan and Whaley don't mix well in this regard. Whaley seems to like certain body types and physical attributes, while the mental side is more important to Ryan.

Maybe not a bad idea. With the offense you have a repeat of two years ago with Schwartz's D. Why take a #6 offense and try to "fix" it?

People need to remember this, as the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it, it can get worse! This team has scored plenty of points to be in the playoffs. The coaching, defense and special teams play are the biggest culprits. That is undeniable to anyone with a logical thought process.

I posted this in the fire Rex thread, but think it's applicable here as well-

It is very possible that Rex does not have the horses he needs to field an effective D.

I'm sure most of us remember watching the exotic and aggressive schemes he put forth with the Jets. Why does our D not look like that? Quite simply, personnel.

I see two main problems with our personnel that, IMO, is not allowing Rex and company to run their D.

1. Safety play. Complete garbage at safety is forcing Rex to rush three and protect the back end.

2. I don't think our defenders, at the key positions of LB and S, are smart enough to run the scheme. Missed assignments and confusion has forced Rex to be much less complex than we have seen when he has fielded strong D's. Maybe Ragland is the answer at LB and hopefully we can get one of the stud safeties in the draft.

I am still a fan of the Ryan defense, I just don't think we've seen it on the Bills yet. It is more dependent on specific personnel than some schemes (Schwartz), but, when you DO have the players- it's a joy to watch.

I think it is possible that Ryan and Whaley don't mix well in this regard. Whaley seems to like certain body types and physical attributes, while the mental side is more important to Ryan.

We had the horses in place for an entirely different D. This is why the Pegulas meddling and hand-picking Rex Ryan was irresponsible. It's also why I am convinced that the Pegulas' end game is money; not wins. Because the Rex Ryan era has brought in a LOT of money ... and very few wins.

To the OP it is the country aches job to have them prepared and put in the best position to win EVERY week. IMO Rex has failed miserably at this especially on defense. Good e samples of this just from last week: failing to call TO in time before the 55 yard tying FG, or even worse not having 11 guys out there on OT when the Phins break a run for 55 yards. Those 2 mistakes cost you a win, that's not including other games where he mismanaged the clock and or personnel on the field.

Also everything you mentioned on what players did wrong MOST coaches and all GOOD coaches already have taught or rather beaten into their players brains what needs to be done so those are also Ryan failures as a coach, or do you think BB, Carroll make those type of mistakes?

We had the horses in place for an entirely different D. This is why the Pegulas meddling and hand-picking Rex Ryan was irresponsible. It's also why I am convinced that the Pegulas' end game is money; not wins. Because the Rex Ryan era has brought in a LOT of money ... and very few wins.

Don't buy it. Wins = Money.

So you think that Rex Ryan brought in more money than if we hired, say, Hue Jackson and made the playoffs? You think the Pegula's sat down and said- "hey, we think Rex sucks and will continue to lose, but his persona will increase our value more than by having a winning team?"

Teams with sub-par leadership don't perform well and lack discipline.

This is true for any team, in any business.

Rex Ryan is the classic "Country Club" type Manager. It's never a successful style, long-term. This is why he peaked very early in his HC career and has sucked ever since.

The lack of discipline leads to a lack of execution and a lack of accountability. All of that leads to a very talented team going .500, which is likely going to happen for the second straight year without true leadership.

It all starts and ends with the head coach.

Agreed

Every single thing that you mentioned is correctable with good coaching. If tackling isn't a priority in practice and fundamentals aren't a priority in practice, then they won't be executed properly in games. If they are a coaches priority to emphasize, then those mistakes won't happen. It all starts and ends with the coach. We have talented players, they are just poorly coached.

Agreed

Absolute garbage on TT. He hand picks stats that make Tyrod appear better than he actually is and/or better than Carr, when clearly he is not even close. He failed to mention Carr has a 96.7 rating this year compared to TT's 89.7. Or that Carr's rating is up this year and TT's is down. Or that Carr's YPG is up over last year and TT's is down, and Carr's is obviously higher. Or that Carr's completion percentage is higher and up from last year and TT"s is down and lower. Or that Carr has a better TD-INT ratio and more yards. Or that the supposedly gifted running QB has 42 sacks to Carr's 16, a sad indictment of his inability to read defense and get rid of the ball quickly, not an indictment of the OL. Or that Carr's Or that their rating head-to-head a few weeks ago was Carr 97.3 - TT 55.8.

Most importantly, Carr was 5-3 against teams with a winning record and 7-0 against teams with a losing record. TT was 1-7 against teams with a winning record and 6-1 against losers. Both are good at beating on the weak but Carr wins more tough games than he loses, a sign of a winner.

How many other ways can we say TT is a mediocre QB?

So this joker picked a few useless points and tried to built a case to spend $29M (or whatever the ridiculous figure is) on him. One of the worst uses of descriptive statistics I've seen and that guy is a joke for it.

Save the rating arguments for another point because it's useless here.

One of the worst uses of descriptive statistics I've seen and that guy is a joke for it.

MAJBobby, how many accounts do you have ? Edited by yungmack

It's pretty common sense that you completely change the defense you need the right personnel. It takes a couple of years to get the right guys. Ragland might have been the right guy at LB but we will never know. Needed a safety but now it's too late. Pretty stupid to think he was going to come in and completely change things and they would just automatically be better for it

Okay i know every one here is pissed because we aren't going to the play offs AGAIN & every one is calling for Rex to be fired but is it really his fault ?

Was he the one that shanked 2 field goals ? Was Rex the one that didn't drag his second foot on what could have been a Clay TD ? Was Rex the one that didn't wrap up on the Gilmore tried tackle (if that's what you call it) when Gilmore hit him (didn't wrap up) & let him run for another 20 yds on a 3rd & long to make a 1st down ? Was it's Rex fault when Sammy ran straight out of bounds on a catch on a 3rd down then leave less than a yd from the first down marker ?

Was it Rex fault that Ajayi ran through most tackles or the D over pursued to allow more yards than needed to keep the drive going ?

NO !! Rex couldn't control any of those things that happen on the field ! Plus if you watched Dareus play the last couple weeks he's not playing lights out like he was before his big pay day .

The guys on this team should all take a long hard look at tape of Kyle Williams & learn how to be a Buffalo Bill he leaves it all on the field & just like last year when Kyle was hurt & there were no leaders on the field this D will really be hurting . If he decides to retire this D is screwed for leadership !

Sure Rex has his controversial things that he's done but he's not the Prima donna CB that misses crucial plays , he's not the guy missing tackles, but he's the guy in the end that will take all the crap for it !!

I think Rex needs to bench a couple of his so called defensive stars & let the guys like Zo & others show the rest of them how it's done.

There were a ton of plays left on the field that Rex scheme had put the guys in the right place but when they can't remember how to tackle or (in Gilmores case) think your so bad that you can just knock a guy down with out even trying to use your arms to wrap them up then something in the player needs to be brought to the fore front . Call these guy s out before the season is over not after. Oh but that might hurt their feelings ...

Oh & I'm thinking more players than Coach !!

It's not Rex, the players, Whaley, scouting, or the owners; it's a combinations of it all. This is a culture infected with losing; Polian wrote about this losing culture in his book. The Steelers in the 70's, the Giants in the 80's, the Cowboys in the 90's, and the Patriots in the millennial all faced losing cultures and rebuilt completely. Look at the won - loss record, our drafts, and player development - all at best mediocre.