If QB is one of the primary concerns--how can it be fixed?

The Big Cat

Somebody's gotta start in 2017  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pick whichever option(s) you would endorse

• Call up Cardale
    • Retain EJ
    • Retain TT at $27.5M
    • Retain TT at a negotiated cut
    • Bring back Fitz
    • Sign another FA (specify in reply--KIRK COUSINS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE)
    • Trade for Romo or sign him if he's released
    • Trade for Jimmy G
    • Trade for Sam Bradford
    • Trade for a young backup hiding on another team's roster (specify in reply)
    • DRAFT BABY DRAFT (specify in reply)

After thinking on it...

Either keep TT at a renegotiated deal, or let him leave and re-sign EJ. Keep Cardale. And draft a QB in the first round. Let them battle it out next offseason/preseason.

There isn't anyone available to us currently in the NFL that is a big enough step up from TT, so the only way to really improve the position at this point is through the draft (or hope one of the guys we have magically steps up).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets, Broncos, Browns, Texans, Jags all need a QB. I think any one of them would take a flier on Tyrod if we don't pick up the option.

My plan..

1) I agree Tyrod will get snapped up, and for an equal or greater amouny than the option...so why not trade him? Might get a 6th or 7th...

2) Sign Glennon to an equal contract...yes he will get that much or more i believe.

3) decide between EJ ( if EJ would stay) and Hoyer as your vet stop gap in case of injury.

4) Keep Cardale...

Problem all solved easy peasy, no mess, no fuss . as i swipe my hands back and forth :lol:

My plan..

1) I agree Tyrod will get snapped up, and for an equal or greater amouny than the option...so why not trade him? Might get a 6th or 7th...

2) Sign Glennon to an equal contract...yes he will get that much or more i believe.

3) decide between EJ ( if EJ would stay) and Hoyer as your vet stop gap in case of injury.

4) Keep Cardale...

Problem all solved easy peasy, no mess, no fuss . as i swipe my hands back and forth :lol:

Trading him makes no sense - we'd be on the hook for the option bonus anyway. At that point you just keep him.

IF Romo could actually stay healthy for an entire season this team would be incredible. Say what you want about Romo but the guy puts up the yards and TDs

I would take a shot at him but I think he would go to Denver. It's the perfect landing spot for an older FA QB. Great defense, lots of weapons, just won a SB, short window still open for him to take a shot or two at a SB title.

I would draft another QB, or even two. Keep developing Cardelle. Hope you hit the lottery like Carr or Prescott. Gotta buy the ticket to win, though, so keep drafting them until you get one.

I would also sign your typical FA backup QB, like a Shaun Hill/Matt Moore type guy, whoever is out there. Someone with strong hands to hold the clipboard tight in the winds at New Era field!

My plan..

4) Keep Cardale...

There is no perfect solution other than what are your best options among the less than best options. You offer some good recommendations in your list. The approach I would take is to try to get a qb such as Glennon (you listed) or McCarron. Are they elite type of prospects? Definitely not. But I feel that it is a priority to acquire a qb who can run an authentic pro offense that includes making reads, accurately throwing the mid-range passes, throwing to the middle of the field and throwing to the receivers while in stride.

TT is the best running qb in the game. Where does that get you? Our passing game is so limited and simple that our best receivers in Watkins and Clay are underutilized. Some people fear that TT would go to a place such as Denver and thrive there. If that is the case then I wish him the best. He is a high character guy with a terrific work ethic who deserves nothing but the best.

Maybe Cardale will develop into a good qb. However, he is not going to be ready next year for a team that is a fringe wild-card team. Let's develop him the right way and don't put him in a situation that he is not ready for. It has to be remembered that he didn't get much playing time when he was in college.

As I and others have often stated unless the play at qb is elevated the cycle of mediocrity will continue. That is the starting and finishing issue for this meandering franchise.

IF Romo could actually stay healthy for an entire season this team would be incredible. Say what you want about Romo but the guy puts up the yards and TDs

I would take a shot at him but I think he would go to Denver. It's the perfect landing spot for an older FA QB. Great defense, lots of weapons, just won a SB, short window still open for him to take a shot or two at a SB title.

Romo can have the same (or better) situation in Denver or Houston, there's no way he comes to Buffalo.

Get Brian hoyer and get Tyrod cheaper, have them duel it out.

For what purpose? We need upside!

13 votes for keep Taylor at 27 mil. Yeeeeezus

1 vote for bring back Fitz Yeeeeee

Romo Romo Romo !

Keep drinking!

Romo can have the same (or better) situation in Denver or Houston, there's no way he comes to Buffalo.

No to Romo!!! Dude gets hurt too much and that is what we are having big problems with.

I agree with this. The Bills have lost most of their games when the offense has scored enough pts to win but the defense has not played well enough.

Buffalo has more offensive touchdowns than every team in the NFL with the exception of New Orleans and Atlanta. They're doing something right. Tyrod has had his hiccups, but essentially he is doing what they are asking him to do. His contract is actually quite cap friendly for a NFL starting QB. I think we will regret it if we just cut ties with him at the end of the season.

Also, drafting QB's is such a crap shoot. For every Derek Carr, there are ten Blaine Gabberts. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in '17, but hang on to the known commodity until we draft a QB that is better.

Accountable? Are you serious? More like Whaley should be getting massive applause for the deal he did with TT. Other teams failed miserably with young QB's and their contracts who flashed potential but were still not yet fully proven. Niners, Dolphins, Texans, etc...hell I would even put Indy on that list who is over paying Luck based on his performance and size of contract. Even teams facing veteran QB decisions did terrible with how they handled the QB contract situation...teams like Chicago and the beloved Cowboys both gave atrocious contracts. Cutler proved to be not worth the money and Romo proved he could never stay healthy to earn the money nor was he clutch when it mattered most. We should be applauding Whaley on navigating a potential land mine situation with Taylor by not over committing to him and putting the team in position to retain him at a solid value to the Bills if he did warrant remaining the starter.

This kind of stuff about Whaley is what really blows my mind. Its one of the better things any GM has done in the NFL in regards to a QB since he has been a GM. Funny, you can also say things like Whaley's trade of worthless LB for Hughes was one of the best trades any GM has done since he has been a GM, not to mention the critical trade for McCoy for a LB with 2 bad knees. You would also be hard pressed to find a GM who has found more impact players in unlikely places through unheralded FA signings like Alexander, MG, Incognito, etc. Why Whaley gets so much crap here is beyond me...its not his fault the next Drew Brees has NOT been available during his time as GM...its not his fault our best players can't stay on the field consistently and at the same time.

TT's contract is one of the better things any GM has done in the 3 years Whaley has been in charge?? LOL And the Hughes trade is t eh best move by any GM? Nice!!

And Incognito was "unheralded"? No, he was a psychopath.

LMAO...this is the kind of stupid stuff I am talking about. First off, its Derek Carr, and neither Carr nor Bridgwater were available to be taken by us. One was a late first round QB (Teddy) and the other was an early 2nd round QB. We were picking 9th in the draft and moved up to #4 and took Watkins. Then both were taken before our 2nd round pick and were not available.

Don't sit back now that you have seen them play in the NFL and pretend they were top draft picks we passed on...they were not. We were not in position to draft them period. Our draft slot was too high for them AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT and then they went BEFORE we had a chance to draft them.

This is the kind of dumb comments on Whaley that drives me nuts. There are 32 teams who passed on Carr...if they knew now what they knew then Raiders would have taken Carr over Mack at #4 in a redraft because he is way more important to the Raiders than Mack. Actually I take that back, Carr would go #1 overall to Houston, so Raiders wouldn't even have a chance at him. This hindsight garbage gets real old around here. And had we not traded up for Sammy, it was widely reported we were looking hard at Ebron and had potential interest in a different WR which was a massive need at the top of that draft for this team.

PS: While Nix was technically still the GM for like 10 more days after the trade of Hughes, it was reported that Whaley was already set to be the GM and was the one who put the Hughes deal together.

This is the kind of dumb comment that I love to read! You do realize that not "32 teams" are looking for a QB in the first of the draft, right? In fact, every year, only a handful are in the market for one. That fact doesn't stop guys like you repeating this goofy argument over and over. It's meaningless. I'm pretty sure (I think every but you has this figured out) the Raiders felt that Mack was a huge talent who would be there at #5 and they coveted Carr but knew he would be there in the 2nd round.

If Whaley was "already set to be GM", then he was the year before as well when, as "Assistant GM", he passed on Russell Wilson, who had fallen right into his lap for the cheap price of a 3rd round pick. Instead, he used all of his vast scouting expertise to conclude that what the Bills really needed was not a great QB prospect (almost for free), but a crappy college WR.

In addition to having been useless for scouting and drafting a QB since he's been AsstGM/GM, throw in his complete blank at drafting a TE. Wildly overpaying Clay was a typical Whaley move to cover for his inability to see a bunch of as good or better (and cheaper) TEs drafted in the past 5 years.

Buffalo has more offensive touchdowns than every team in the NFL with the exception of New Orleans and Atlanta. They're doing something right. Tyrod has had his hiccups, but essentially he is doing what they are asking him to do. His contract is actually quite cap friendly for a NFL starting QB. I think we will regret it if we just cut ties with him at the end of the season.

Also, drafting QB's is such a crap shoot. For every Derek Carr, there are ten Blaine Gabberts. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in '17, but hang on to the known commodity until we draft a QB that is better.

Not true, they're tied for 6th. But still good obviously.