Are the Bills defenders smart enough to run Rex defense?

Protocal69

I keep going back to what Mike Pettine said when he took over the Brown head coaching job regarding installing his defense

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-coach

I think it's happened quicker here because I think it's a smart group,” Pettine says, comparing the install to last season’s with the Bills. “I'm not saying we were dumb in Buffalo—far from it—but this is a group that I think processes, as a whole, very quickly.”

When you compare that statement to the dont think but go mentality of Jim Swartz defense that the Bills seem to play better in then is it fare to say that our defense especially on the backend, might not be smart enough as a whole to run his defense.

If this is the case then either we need to get smart players or find enough defensive system to cater to our personel.

I keep going back to what Mike Pettine said when he took over the Brown head coaching job regarding installing his defense

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-coach

I think it's happened quicker here because I think it's a smart group,” Pettine says, comparing the install to last season’s with the Bills. “I'm not saying we were dumb in Buffalo—far from it—but this is a group that I think processes, as a whole, very quickly.”

When you compare that statement to the dont think but go mentality of Jim Swartz defense that the Bills seem to play better in then is it fare to say that our defense especially on the backend, might not be smart enough as a whole to run his defense.

If this is the case then either we need to get smart players or find enough defensive system to cater to our personel.

Bottom line: to play in Wrecks defense you need to be Harvard/Cambridge educated finishing summa cum laude. A wonderlic of 35 or better is a minimum requirement

Edited by horned dogs

Rex's scheme is such an inconsistent mess that it would take 15 Jim Leonhards on the field at the same time to make it work.

It takes leaders that know what they are doing at MLB and S. We had neither. Our best saefty was the Ravens 5th string CB and our best MLB is a rookie that has never played a snap. I'm not going to say the scheme doesnt work because it has in the past. It's pretty clear that we can't run it though

It takes leaders that know what they are doing at MLB and S. We had neither. Our best saefty was the Ravens 5th string CB and our best MLB is a rookie that has never played a snap. I'm not going to say the scheme doesnt work because it has in the past. It's pretty clear that we can't run it though

Folks will be predictably flippant in response to this point. They'll sarcastically say something about Rex needing 20 first rounders to run his defense. They like to pretend that dominant defenses exist in the NFL where great playmakers (regardless of where they were drafted) do not. The like to pretend that this is electronic football played in a vacuum and that all you have to do is tell your guys how to line up and the deed is done.

Preston Brown is terrible. Manny Lawson called the defense the end of last year and the difference was night and day. I don't know what their love affair is with Preston but I'm looking forward to Ragland taking his spot

Boy are you correct! My son and I were just talking about the same thing at lunch.

I am sick and tired of watching him in coverage. Not to mentions our defense is terrible against the run and scrambling QBs.

Preston Brown is terrible. Manny Lawson called the defense the end of last year and the difference was night and day. I don't know what their love affair is with Preston but I'm looking forward to Ragland taking his spot

Absolutely. Been saying this for 2 years. Horrendous.

Boy are you correct! My son and I were just talking about the same thing at lunch.

I am sick and tired of watching him in coverage. Not to mentions our defense is terrible against the run and scrambling QBs.

Yeah, well, Preston Brown consistently overpurusing into a pile of blockers and d-lineman is something of a hindrance to the run D.

The Tampa 2 also would work with the right MLB and safety, but who in their right mind would want to run that scheme.

When Lynn took over the offense this year, the claim was that he was going to simplify the scheme. And it looks like it worked.

On the other side of the ball, it looks like the defensive schemes have become even more complex.

When Rex admitted that he called defenses against Pittsburgh that the team hadn't practiced (they were from the LA gameplan) because they weren't prepared to stop Bell, you know that the game has passed him by.

This team would look a hell of a lot better in a 4-3 cover 3 scheme, which would benefit not just Brown, but Hughes and Dareus too.

It's not the players, it's the scheme. We have some very talented players on this defense. The fact of the matter is that they are poorly coached and the scheme sucks. Get rid of Rex and Rob and the D automatically gets better.

It's not the players, it's the scheme. We have some very talented players on this defense. The fact of the matter is that they are poorly coached and the scheme sucks. Get rid of Rex and Rob and the D automatically gets better.

Because our current crop of players are too talented to make a play when two of them converge on a 40 yard wounded duck? We gotta find the DC who runs the scheme who doesn't let the receiver catch it 90% of the time when this happens. I'll agree to that.

I'm actually think part of the issue is the new CBA. These guys aren't allowed to practice. It's kind of rediculous. For a guy that relies so heavily on scheme and x's/o's, it makes things really tough to implement.

Schwartz kind of figured it out. Simplify and play fast. Rex has not.

In the next CBA I hope the NFL drops weed in exchange for going back to the same practice times/team contact rules. I'm fine with keeping the padded practices or contact practices down. But there is no reason for these guys to have as limited work as they get with their teams. It's a huge reason play across the league has been a bit trash.

I'm actually think part of the issue is the new CBA. These guys aren't allowed to practice. It's kind of rediculous. For a guy that relies so heavily on scheme and x's/o's, it makes things really tough to implement.

Schwartz kind of figured it out. Simplify and play fast. Rex has not.

In the next CBA I hope the NFL drops weed in exchange for going back to the same practice times/team contact rules. I'm fine with keeping the padded practices or contact practices down. But there is no reason for these guys to have as limited work as they get with their teams. It's a huge reason play across the league has been a bit trash.

Correct, this is what I keep saying. The trend now is to simplify because you can't practice enough and rosters change so much from year to year (and week to week). The Patriots run a very simple system on D, as does Seattle. On the offensive side of the ball, if you don't have a "coach on the field" type like Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Manning, you also need to simplify. Carolina runs a simple offense.

I think this is the type of thing that makes Rex a bad coach. He realizes that something clearly isn't working but refuses to change it just because. There's really no reason to run complex defenses anymore. I honestly think to for Rex's defense to work you have to have a really good MLB, shutdown corner, Dominate DLine and a very smart safety. Unless you have all of those components on the field at the same time (which is a lot to ask) his defense is too much. We really don't have the safety/ies to run his defense right now.

Same here. Thought he was an interesting idea at MLB. Surprising still unemployed.