Cardinals Cut WR Michael Floyd

YoloinOhio

it is possible, but not likely, that NE could get a comp pick in 2018 if he sticks the rest of the season on the roster and then leaves in FA. He would be counted as part of their comp pick formula, but if he signs somewhere else on a 1-year prove it type deal (and I'd anticipate that would be the case given his play, pending suspension, etc) there wouldn't be much if anything going back to NE. Maybe a late rounder depending on how it worked out.

The cutoff for compensatory picks this year is Antwon Blake with a $1.5m average salary. If Floyd serves time inside and/or gets a league suspension, it's a push to expect him to get that much.

Of course, NE has to actually qualify for a comp pick as well (they aren't due one for 2017).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cutoff for compensatory picks this year is Antwon Blake with a $1.5m average salary. If Floyd serves time inside and/or gets a league suspension, it's a push to expect him to get that much.

Of course, NE has to actually qualify for a comp pick as well (they aren't due one for 2017).

yep... I don't think that's why Belichik claimed him. I think he's hoping he can help them out in the playoffs, see if Brady likes him, and if so potentially re-sign him to a cheap deal while he's down and out. If somehow it works out that he gets some late round pick for him 2 drafts from now than great, but it's too far off to know if that's even a viable outcome, I don't think that was his main motivation. Edited by YoloinOhio

yep... I don't think that's why Belichik claimed him. I think he's hoping he can help them out in the playoffs, see if Brady likes him, and if so potentially re-sign him to a cheap deal while he's down and out. If somehow it works out that he gets some late round pick for him 2 drafts from now than great, but it's too far off to know if that's even a viable outcome, I don't think that was his main motivation.

Likelihood is that Bill is just being an opportunist. They had nearly $10m in cap space, still have $8.5m to roll over for 2017. Calculated risk that he might be viable for a few weeks and, whatever issues Floyd has, Bill thinks he's the flawed human whisperer.

Whether I think it's the best thing for Floyd or not, can't blame a chancer for taking a chance.

yep... I don't think that's why Belichik claimed him. I think he's hoping he can help them out in the playoffs, see if Brady likes him, and if so potentially re-sign him to a cheap deal while he's down and out. If somehow it works out that he gets some late round pick for him 2 drafts from now than great, but it's too far off to know if that's even a viable outcome, I don't think that was his main motivation.

Well if he didn't sign him for that reason, I'm sure it comforted belichik for that reasoning. If he doesn't pan out, he gets a comp pick. Low risk, high reward

Well if he didn't sign him for that reason, I'm sure it comforted belichik for that reasoning. If he doesn't pan out, he gets a comp pick. Low risk, high reward

well as we said, he likely will not get a comp pick if he doesn't pan out. Not saying there is any "risk" but the likelihood of him getting one is pretty low.

Likelihood is that Bill is just being an opportunist. They had nearly $10m in cap space, still have $8.5m to roll over for 2017. Calculated risk that he might be viable for a few weeks and, whatever issues Floyd has, Bill thinks he's the flawed human whisperer.

Whether I think it's the best thing for Floyd or not, can't blame a chancer for taking a chance.

yes... he only had 4 healthy WRs on the roster prior to claiming him, and no Gronk. Assuming they are going to go on a deep run in the playoffs, it made sense to see what they could squeeze out of him until his contract is up. Edited by YoloinOhio

Usually Belichik doesn't take these knuckleheads. But I'm wondering if the Pats claimed him, intending for him to walk and sign somewhere else, and in return receive a compensatory pick.

I could be looking too much into it. But think it's very plausible. They don't have an issue at receiver, can someone really come in the last two weeks of the season, learn the playbook then contribute. I think it is belichik being smart and just trying to get a draft pick for him

Actually they are very thin right now at WR with Amandola out with a high ankle sprain till the playoffs. They have Edelman,Hogan, Michell ®, and then our ST captain Slater.

So Floyd is a good insurance policy in case anyone gets hurt during a game and/or if We don't need the Miami game someone take most of the snaps instead of Edelman.

Again, black athlete gets DUI. . .cut and off the radar.

Black athlete beats his wife. . .pariah

White athlete beats his wife. . .club surrounds him, protects him, makes excuses for him until the light shines too bright, then cuts him and performs CYA.

No double standard in the NFL or with most of its fans.

White athlete beats his wife. . .club surrounds him, protects him, makes excuses for him until the light shines too bright, then cuts him and performs CYA.

The dude got in a car and started driving with a BAC of .217 and you're concerned with how much pigment his skin has?

Not sure if it was brought up earlier in the thread, but he got a DUI at Notre Dame with a BAC of .19 too. Dude has a problem and needs help.

The dude got in a car and started driving with a BAC of .217 and you're concerned with how much pigment his skin has?

Not sure if it was brought up earlier in the thread, but he got a DUI at Notre Dame with a BAC of .19 too. Dude has a problem and needs help.

High BAC = get cut

Beating your wife = rally around him.

Gotcha! Moving on!

High BAC = get cut

Gotcha! Moving on!

You're aware that if he's convicted he'll be in jail until after the Cardinals season is over, right? And nobody here is endorsing beating anyone, let alone their wife. But please, carry on with your random crusade about how only black people experience consequences for doing bad things in a topic about a guy who clearly did a bad thing and wound up getting claimed by a significantly better football team than the one he was on.

High BAC = get cut

Gotcha! Moving on!

Huh? You have ONE example of this and it wasn't the "team" as much as the league covering it up for the Giants.

Also he got cut from a non playoff team to a team that is a favorite to win the SB. I think Floyd is dancing a jig with the upgrade.

Its my firm belief that the first guy to bring up the race thing is in fact a racist.

That means you dude. Dick move.

Its my firm belief that the first guy to bring up the race thing is in fact a racist.

That means you dude. Dick move.

You just may be on to something there. It's a crazy high BAC, should we wake him from his nap and put his foot on the gas? I don't care who the hell you are!

• 1 month later...