Attempt to scam me this morning

Punching Bag

Early this morning I get a call. I work to 2 am so normally my wife takes phone out of bedroom when she takes phone out of bedroom but yesterday I dropped her off at airport so understand I am half asleep when I answer call.

me: Hello?

??: Hello, do you know who this is? pause ... this is your oldest grandson

me: huh? Michael?

??: Yes, I need your help I am in trouble. I was in an accident and I need to pay car damages for car I hit

me: I am sorry I do not understand. I dropped your aunt off at airport yesterday and I work late shift so I barely had any sleep

??: Sorry about waking you. Is there a Target nearby?

me: (I am more awake now) Not sure

??: What about a Walmart?

me: I think I am going to need to call your mother

??: [click]

It is obvious after the fact it was some sort of scam. When I actually got out of bed and checked caller ID the number was 'private'. If I had been more awake and in mood I might have played with scammer for a while telling him I was going to send whatever money he needed and tell him to call me back when it arrives and then repeating this saying I must have sent to wrong location, etc. I could have overridden the private number by entering code into phone but that would mean paying money to another scammer, my phone service Verizon, and doubt it would be useful. I do not even HAVE a grandchild so if I had been more awake the scam would be even more transparent.

Early this morning I get a call. I work to 2 am so normally my wife takes phone out of bedroom when she takes phone out of bedroom but yesterday I dropped her off at airport so understand I am half asleep when I answer call.

me: Hello?

??: Hello, do you know who this is? pause ... this is your oldest grandson

me: huh? Michael?

??: Yes, I need your help I am in trouble. I was in an accident and I need to pay car damages for car I hit

me: I am sorry I do not understand. I dropped your aunt off at airport yesterday and I work late shift so I barely had any sleep

??: Sorry about waking you. Is there a Target nearby?

me: (I am more awake now) Not sure

??: What about a Walmart?

me: I think I am going to need to call your mother

??: [click]

It is obvious after the fact it was some sort of scam. When I actually got out of bed and checked caller ID the number was 'private'. If I had been more awake and in mood I might have played with scammer for a while telling him I was going to send whatever money he needed and tell him to call me back when it arrives and then repeating this saying I must have sent to wrong location, etc. I could have overridden the private number by entering code into phone but that would mean paying money to another scammer, my phone service Verizon, and doubt it would be useful. I do not even HAVE a grandchild so if I had been more awake the scam would be even more transparent.

So who the f@#% is Michael?

That guy is definitely lucky you were too tired to bring your A game to the situation.

Edited by Jauronimo

Maybe Trump will put in a law that says people caught doing that **** get beaten to death with hammers.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it, an old person would fall asleep after about three taps of a hammer and the scammer would just walk away with all of their cash. Don't let the scammers win!

You answer your phone??

I am honestly wondering why we have a land line. I pick it up.....hello......one mississippi, two missi....click. And no, I don't want to answer your damn survey, even if you are on the line.

I got a Facebook message from mark zuckerberg (yes, it was spelled exactly like that, with no caps) telling me that I won grant money from Facebook. I won $500,000. I just had to send him the $300 shipping fee if I wanted it within the next week, or $1,000 if I wanted it within 24 hours. I went round and round with them. First I told him just to take the money out of my winnings. H couldn't do that. He asked if I had a credit card. I told him yes. He asked me to send a picture of it. I sent him a picture of an expired Buffalo Wild Wings gift card I got four years ago.

A few hours later he said he realized it was a scam, and he was contacting the FBI. I asked if there was anything at all I could do to avoid jail. They said I could send the shipping fee by wire to his associate in Deerborn, MI. I just kept telling him I sent the money, has he seen it yet. We went on and on for days until he finally blocked me.

I got a Facebook message from mark zuckerberg (yes, it was spelled exactly like that, with no caps) telling me that I won grant money from Facebook. I won $500,000. I just had to send him the $300 shipping fee if I wanted it within the next week, or $1,000 if I wanted it within 24 hours. I went round and round with them. First I told him just to take the money out of my winnings. H couldn't do that. He asked if I had a credit card. I told him yes. He asked me to send a picture of it. I sent him a picture of an expired Buffalo Wild Wings gift card I got four years ago.

A few hours later he said he realized it was a scam, and he was contacting the FBI. I asked if there was anything at all I could do to avoid jail. They said I could send the shipping fee by wire to his associate in Deerborn, MI. I just kept telling him I sent the money, has he seen it yet. We went on and on for days until he finally blocked me.

You go to Buffalo Wild Wings?