Hughes benched for spat with Rob Ryan?

bobobonators

A lot of it is that we have been behind a lot, so people have run on us a ton. We've got the 4th-highest number of run plays faced defensively. Till yesterday, we weren't good, but we weren't all that bad at YPA. After the Pitt game, we're up to allowing 4.3 YPC. Eighth-worst in the league. That ain't good.

Usually with Dareus in, teams can't run too much on us. Yesterday we set up to stop Antonio Brown and the pass, thinking we could stop the run. That proved not to be so.

I agree 100%. Can someone just tell me why? With the way the wether was it was obviously a ground and pound type game. And more importantly why didn't they focus on Bell Like the entire second half??

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe Hughes at all. Rex said he didn't know anything about anything. If he truly was sick Rex would have been all over using that as an excuse. He used it when he benched Darby vs Seattle and I doubt it had any real validity.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't believe Hughes at all. Rex said he didn't know anything about anything. If he truly was sick Rex would have been all over using that as an excuse. He used it when he benched Darby vs Seattle and I doubt it had any real validity.

I'm biased against Rex so I feel for Hughes but f he was truly getting in Rob's face about the coachcing/scheme etc, you have to bench him.

A lot of it is that we have been behind a lot, so people have run on us a ton. We've got the 4th-highest number of run plays faced defensively. Till yesterday, we weren't good, but we weren't all that bad at YPA. After the Pitt game, we're up to allowing 4.3 YPC. Eighth-worst in the league. That ain't good.

Usually with Dareus in, teams can't run too much on us. Yesterday we set up to stop Antonio Brown and the pass, thinking we could stop the run. That proved not to be so.

This isnt necessarily true.

We werent behind in the Oakland game. We werent behind in the Jax game the week prior. We werent behind in the Cincy game the week before that. The Hawks didnt even try to run the ball on us. The pats blew us out passing the ball. We werent behind in the Miami game, etc, etc

Unfortunately, It comes down to what the opposing team wants to do bc we cant stop them. If the opposing team is determined to beat us through the air, they do. If theyre determined to beat us through the ground, they do.

Edited by bobobonators

Rob Ryan has come in and helped Rex shore up the defensive communication problems. He is a quality coach and I can't understand why he was fired in New Orleans. He is an asset to this Coaching staff.

Russ Brandon

Edited by BeefCurtns

I thought we all knew when he benched Darby the sick thing was said for the distraction factor ala Rex. he also said quickly "you saw his play" that was quickly cut out.

so is Hughes just playing poorly? hmmm..

Rex's system holds back DE's. They're as useless in Ryan's system as the MLB was in Schwartzs

interesting take. is that why Jim got beat on those break away runs?

I thought we all knew when he benched Darby the sick thing was said for the distraction factor ala Rex. he also said quickly "you saw his play" that was quickly cut out.

so is Hughes just playing poorly? hmmm..

interesting take. is that why Jim got beat on those break away runs?

yes

Unfortunately, It comes down to what the opposing team wants to do bc we cant stop them. If the opposing team is determined to beat us through the air, they do. If theyre determined to beat us through the ground, they do.

This.

This is a bottom third NFL defense.

I'd place them around 25th........there are really not many that are worse.

And with a lot of talented players........there really is no excuse for it.......they've even had one of the easiest schedules in terms of offensive opponents.

Gotta' scheme and coach the talent they have better.

Hughes was very good last year. Perhaps the only guy to earn his pay on that side the ball. He started off amazing this year, but his play has dropped no doubt. Curious to as why. Have we seen his ceiling? Is Rex limiting him? Who knows.

But yes, theres little doubt at this point his scheme is not working with the current personnel.

I think players are mailing it in on the Ryans. I don't say this as an apologist. I'll be glad when the clown show is over. I just couldn't watch last week and NOT think that the Rex/Rob had lost the locker room, especially the defense.

Rob Ryan has come in and helped Rex shore up the defensive communication problems. He is a quality coach and I can't understand why he was fired in New Orleans. He is an asset to this Coaching staff.

Russ Brandon

To be fair - the saints defense is still 27th in yards allowed and 30th in points allowed. I don't know if it was entirely Rob in that situation...