Important: TT's contract IS guaranteed for injury

dave mcbride

And regardless the guarantee is inconsistent with a deal structured to give the team an out if they are not satified with the results of the audition. Besides a new coach and front office maybe Pegs also needs a new lawyer. You know, one that remembers to put a substance abuse and suspension clause in Big Stuffs 100 MM deal or doesn't give Marrone 4MM to walk (though I was happy to see him go).

No, that's not how it works. From Taylor's perspective, if he plays great through 10 games and then has a shoulder injury, he's screwed if there isn't an injury provision. Players have the ability to negotiate too. As a baseball fan, I'm more than fine with this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's not how it works. From Taylor's perspective, if he plays great through 10 games and then has a shoulder injury, he's screwed if there isn't an injury provision. Players have the ability to negotiate too. As a baseball fan, I'm more than fine with this.

But should his contract be fully guaranteed in case of injury? Surely an allocation of the risk and associated costs (including opportunity costs) would be more reasonable, especially when what the player really has is a one year tryout as a precondition to a committment for longer term.

Mind you I dont have a problem with it either. The fans and the owners will still be there long after the player's career is over.

But should his contract be fully guaranteed in case of injury? Surely an allocation of the risk and associated costs (including opportunity costs) would be more reasonable, especially when what the player really has is a one year tryout as a precondition to a committment for longer term.

Mind you I dont have a problem with it either. The fans and the owners will still be there long after the player's career is over.

Well, it's not *fully* guaranteed. They could cut him and he wouldn't see the salaries for a number of the subsequent seasons. The cap hit for the Bills will be real and crippling, of course, but he wouldn't come close to earning the entire contract if they cut him after this season even if he's injured. But he would see a lot more than he's going to get now.

I can fully understand his despondency yesterday. He had a chance to really cash in if he led the team well this year, and it didn't happen. At the end of the day, I continue to think he's an average QB who is better than some and worse than many others. I think he's reached his peak, though, and he's not likely to get better. He wasn't helped by the fact that the defense has been atrocious against decent competition. Just think about last night - Eli Manning walks away a hero despite not doing much all game except for a nice slant to an elite player, ODB. The reason? The Giants defense is for real this year. It covers up his shortcomings. Last year, that didn't happen, and Giants fans were in an uproar over Eli. Calmer heads prevailed (and it goes without saying that Eli is better than TT).

Edited by dave mcbride

Well, it's not *fully* guaranteed. They could cut him and he wouldn't see the salaries for a number of the subsequent seasons. The cap hit for the Bills will be real and crippling, of course, but he wouldn't come close to earning the entire contract if they cut him after this season even if he's injured. But he would see a lot more than he's going to get now.

I can fully understand his despondency yesterday. He had a chance to really cash in if he led the team well this year, and it didn't happen. At the end of the day, I continue to think he's an average QB who is better than some and worse than many others. I think he's reached his peak, though, and he's not likely to get better. He wasn't helped by the fact that the defense has been atrocious against decent competition. Just think about last night - Eli Manning walks away a hero despite not doing much all game except for a nice slant to an elite player, ODB. The reason? The Giants defense is for real this year. It covers up his shortcomings. Last year, that didn't happen, and Giants fans were in an uproar over Eli. Calmer heads prevailed (and it goes without saying that Eli is better than TT).

I agree with everything you wrote. Watching TT come back to the sideline after his interception and have to look at the tablet showing the wide open receivers streaking open on that play - I thought to myself, that has to be it for him. It has been too many times, he just isn't going to become a real QB.

I give them credit for trying with him - but when your QB doesn't scan the defense at the LOS, can't figure out how he's being defended, and play after play misses open routes, you're not going to win many games unless your defense is truly elite...

I agree with everything you wrote. Watching TT come back to the sideline after his interception and have to look at the tablet showing the wide open receivers streaking open on that play - I thought to myself, that has to be it for him. It has been too many times, he just isn't going to become a real QB.

I give them credit for trying with him - but when your QB doesn't scan the defense at the LOS, can't figure out how he's being defended, and play after play misses open routes, you're not going to win many games unless your defense is truly elite...

Good post. The defense has truly let him down. Normally, getting your team to a 24-9 lead should mean that your press will be good the next day. But this wretched defense tanked, and because everyone focuses on the QB, he ended up being the scapegoat. He did fail to make plays in that game, to be sure, but he also played reasonably well into the second half. He does have to go, however. I think that's the smart move.

Roethlisberger had a terrible game yesterday but no one is talking about that because the Bills' offense was anemic until garbage time and the Bills D was historically abysmal except for the picks.

Edited by dave mcbride

Great thread. I think it comes down to the following: is rex staying?

If we're going to fire rex and heaven forbid TT gets injured these last 3 weeks that means the new coach is going to be forced to deal with TT. If im a prospective new coach i dont want limitations on my roster choices, especially at QB.

Its just too much of a gamble to start TT if the organization intends to move on from Rex.

Great thread. I think it comes down to the following: is rex staying?

If we're going to fire rex and heaven forbid TT gets injured these last 3 weeks that means the new coach is going to be forced to deal with TT. If im a prospective new coach i dont want limitations on my roster choices, especially at QB.

Its just too much of a gamble to start TT if the organization intends to move on from Rex.

I can't imagine that Ryan will be here next year, but who knows what'll happen if they go 9-7.

Today has to be interesting at OBD. Just guessing, but here's the intrigue:

Rex: Wants to get to 9-7. Even if it does save his job with the Bills, he'd rather hit the market with a winning record. He believes Tyrod is the best option to win the last three games.

Whaley: Believes he needs to show he can draft a franchise QB after striking out with EJ. Needs Jones to start and show promise to keep his job.

Pegulas: Might decide to keep Tyrod next season, but don't want to be forced to due to injury. Want Jones or EJ to start to keep the options open on Tyrod. They also might want to give Lynn a coaching dress rehearsal the rest of the season.

Rex keeping his job till the end of the season might depend on his willingness to start Jones.

Edited by Perry Turtle

I can't imagine that Ryan will be here next year, but who knows what'll happen if they go 9-7.

Agreed. The only way i see Rex staying is if he agrees to let go of his grip on the defensive gameplan and lets Whaley bring in a d-coordinator that probably has nothing in common with Rex's defensive philosophy. But I dont see that happening.

Rex: Wants to get to 9-7. Even if it does save his job with the Bills, he'd rather hit the market with a winning record. He believes Tyrod is the best option to win the last three games.

Whaley: Believes he needs to show he can draft a franchise QB after striking out with EJ. Needs Jones to start and show promise to keep his job.

Pegulas: Might decide to keep Tyrod next season, but don't want to be forced to due to injury. Want Jones or EJ to start to keep the options open on Tyrod. They also might want to give Lynn a coaching dress rehearsal the rest of the season.

Rex keeping his job till the end of the season might depend on his willingness to start Jones.

In my opinion, the decision of whether or not to keep Rex has nothing to do with Tyrod and the offense.

Before we even approach the Tyrod issue, the franchise needs to figure out what its going to do with its HC. Everything after that will probably fall in line. Imo.

Dysfunction Junction

Manuel is gone. If the Bills exercise their one year option on him, they have to pay him over $10 million (like they did with Gilmore this season)--and it's pretty well established that he isn't good. The only sensible option is to play Jones and see what he has. That doesn't mean they'll do the sensible thing ...

Didn't they have to exercise that option over this past off season? I thought at this point he's going to be a FA unless they resign him.

Agreed. The only way i see Rex staying is if he agrees to let go of his grip on the defensive gameplan and lets Whaley bring in a d-coordinator that probably has nothing in common with Rex's defensive philosophy. But I dont see that happening.

In my opinion, the decision of whether or not to keep Rex has nothing to do with Tyrod and the offense.

Before we even approach the Tyrod issue, the franchise needs to figure out what its going to do with its HC. Everything after that will probably fall in line. Imo.

I think the decision to move on from Rex is already made. His total failure in handling the defense being the biggest reason.

Whether he gets canned this week I think depends on the Pegulas desire to give Lynn an trial as HC or Rex's willingness to start Jones.

Whaley just ***LOVES**** to burn Pegula ca$h

? - Whaley didn't negotiate that deal, and injury provisions are common in contracts. In any event, the Bills negotiated a very team friendly deal that gives them an easy out (provided Taylor doesn't get injured in what amounts to 3 glorified preseason games over the rest of December).

Never let facts stop an irrational rant.