Why the Bills are 6-6 and how much of it is on Tyrod Taylor

Marty McFly

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say 1. An extra deep ball to Watkins could've won us several games this season.

Maybe but since Sammy has been back Tyrod has only found him once on the deep ball. Actually TT has been really hit or miss with that 9 route this year (unlike last year)

Maybe but since Sammy has been back Tyrod has only found him once on the deep ball. Actually TT has been really hit or miss with that 9 route this year (unlike last year)

1 out of 4 games would be 4/16. Conservatively, if 1 out of those remaining 3 came in a game we lost by 1 score (which odds would favor), I could see it.

I haven't checked, but are defenses doing something different to take it away from TT? My understanding was that most teams in which TT has had his worst performances were playing contain and daring him to pass. Should be ripe for the deep ball.

1 out of 4 games would be 4/16. Conservatively, if 1 out of those remaining 3 came in a game we lost by 1 score (which odds would favor), I could see it.

I haven't checked, but are defenses doing something different to take it away from TT? My understanding was that most teams in which TT has had his worst performances were playing contain and daring him to pass. Should be ripe for the deep ball.

Should be, I am just not sure why they are not hitting it. Maybe he just didn't have confidence in Goodwin, however when he did throw it this year he has been off on it. Even Sammys for example it was a little underthrown and Sammy made a savy Vet type adjustment while the ball was in flight.

One drive of 6+ minutes may have been enough. But they couldn't manage a first !@#$ing down. That's not on the defense.

And the defense got what... 1 stop? We don't force 3 and outs... A 3 and out on offense doesn't give the other team a TD, our putrid defense does that. Failures in all 3 phases is why we are 6-6.

Should be, I am just not sure why they are not hitting it. Maybe he just didn't have confidence in Goodwin, however when he did throw it this year he has been off on it. Even Sammys for example it was a little underthrown and Sammy made a savy Vet type adjustment while the ball was in flight.

Goodwin's fast, but i feel like you can just play off to prevent him from getting over the top. Thats why he's alwasy running sideline routes - he can get open for 10 if he just runs off the corner.

And the defense got what... 1 stop? We don't force 3 and outs... A 3 and out on offense doesn't give the other team a TD, our putrid defense does that. Failures in all 3 phases is why we are 6-6.

Goodwin's fast, but i feel like you can just play off to prevent him from getting over the top. Thats why he's alwasy running sideline routes - he can get open for 10 if he just runs off the corner.

Agreed.

As to why we're 6-6, plenty of blame can go around. Lets see how the season finishes and where we stand as a team, and then look at the defense/offense.

Right now, if a third party came and analyzed our team they would easily see the following:

25% of our team salary is dedicated to 4 players on defense: Dareus, Hughes, Gilmore, and Kyle Williams. 25%.

Our team is led by a defensive coach, and the highest paid players on this team are on defense. Yet, the defense is vastly underperforming. They rank in the bottom half in red zone defense and in the bottom half in points per game against.

Meanwhile, the offense is underpaid, and over performing. The offense is top 10 in points scored and top 10 in the red zone.

We'll see how things play out the final 4 games.

Edited by bobobonators

Agreed.

As to why we're 6-6, plenty of blame can go around. Lets see how the season finishes and where we stand as a team, and then look at the defense/offense.

Right now, if a third party came and analyzed our team they would easily see the following:

25% of our team salary is dedicated to 4 players on defense: Dareus, Hughes, Gilmore, and Kyle Williams. 25%.

Our team is led by a defensive coach, and the highest paid players on this team are on defense. Yet, the defense is vastly underperforming. They rank in the bottom half in red zone defense and in the bottom half in points per game against.

Meanwhile, the offense is underpaid, and over performing. The offense is top 10 in points scored and top 10 in the red zone.

We'll see how things play out the final 4 games.

Only in the alternate world of the Buffalo Bills is the offense that is top 10 in points and top 10 in red zone the problem.

Lets all address the elephant in the room: Coach and Quarterback. While its easy to dump all the blame on Tyrod on Rex its illogical. Think back to when we 1st hired Rex (Bad Decision, I called it, *pats himself on the back*), we had a top 5 defense that was rolling on all cylinders and developing quality DBs season after season. Then Moron bails out on us and the franchise goes through a small re-boot.

Rex comes in looking at our defenses production the last 2 years and pops a boner. Unfortunately Rex forgot that the type of players the Bills had in strength were almost the opposite of the type of rosters that brought Rex his glory days. Buffalo had a cold front that could bring pressure rushing 4 with no blitz. In the Ryan scheme the D Line are space eaters and the blitz comes from Linebackers and DB. This should have been a big indication the Rex Ryan scheme would take time to implement properly.

Next problem, we had no QB, Rex had Tyrod in his back pocket and and EJ Manuel who he saw 2 times a year for a year and a half I think, he went QB competition and Tyrod won the job. At this point with the acquiring of Shady McCoy, Rex was gonna go to his normal scheme, strong run game, stout stingy defense, ball control and turnover free football. Without a #1 draft pick and holes to fill on the offense the options at QB in 2015 were so limited we almost had MATT !@#$ING CASSEL start for us!!

The marrying of these two problems under the Rex Ryan coaching was a plan for disaster. For one reason and its NOT TYROD TAYLOR. Taylor at this point in his development, is what he is, a game manager QB that makes boom or bust plays and will not take over a game with his arm. He is not the QB that will lead you back from a 2/3 TD defect but, he wont throw 3 INTs a game and be the reason you lose when you are up.

For Rexs scheme to work with this team our defensive talent has to be on par with what Denver has rite now, and we just dont have it. If the defense under-preforms the offense isnt good enough to pick up the slack.

So we have a scheme that relies on a stout defense, strong run and no turnovers. We have the run game, we have a game manager QB that doesn't turn it over much but, we DONT have a stout defense. This is why we are 6-6 and continue to middle around until the team gets better players, We need a new scheme that fits our players strengths Or a magical franchise QB that can come in and mask our teams deficiencies but that is unlikely. If the Bills like someone in round 1 at QB I say take the shot, even though we have glaring needs at CB/WR/S/RT, which needs to be addressed. If you look at how our team plays, the scheme in which we use to succeed its easy to see until the defense makes major improvements we wont be able to win with this scheme even if Taylor can magically start seeing the field better. We are not built to come back from huge deficits, its a testament to Shady, the O-Line and Tyrods un-conventional style that we put up 20+ ppg.

What do you guys think is more important to change rite that would yield the quickest positive results? The Scheme? The players? The Coach? or the Quarterback?

Fire the freakin' coach yesterday. Like you I thought hiring Rex was a mistake (pats self on back).

Tyrod has problems that I don't think are going to go away, but Rex's destruction of the defense, and the way installing his system has scewed up who we are required to draft, is the main source of the problem. Oh, yes, and his team's lack of discipline, his weak game management skills, his putting defensive backs in situations where they will look worse than the are because of his idiot schemes, his hiring of his loser brother. . . . etc.

Aside from that, no problem.

I'd guess we win no more than 10 with Brady and New England no less than 10 with Tyrod

I dunno... I'm thinking Brady would absolutely murder defenses with McCoy play action.

And I don't think Taylor could play in NE's system at all. It's predicated on everything he struggles with.

That 2014 defense was so damn good. Nobody scored more than one TD on them, opponents were lucky to get a TD and a field goal on them. And they stayed healthy all year, too. Was brutal to play against. Man, those were the days.

Not sure if this is sarcastic. They allowed 18 points a game. While very good, is not lucky to get 2 scores?

There is no such things as .5 of games....and to say so makes you look like a doofus

How many points did we score in those Pats and Jets games?

The Ravens game I feel is a given......our D played well enough to win....and we didnt score enough points

Doesn't matter. TT went to sleep in both games. I said .5 because the defense also carried blame.

3 of the 6 losses (especially the Raiders game) weren't on TT. He's not the reason they blew double digit leads in the 2nd half and lost those games. He did his part to get those leads. It was on Rex's outdated defense to to keep those leads.