Russ Brandon and others...

pepsicat17

lose a game everyone forecasted to be a loss two months ago and its... "abandon ship!". football monday always a treat at TSW.

So far my strategy of mainly recording away games and watching only wins is working. only way to do it with this team. episodes 5 and 6 of HBO's "WestWorld" were pretty awesome ... . much better than the post 24-9 piece of Bills game. If figured it couldn't get any better than it was at 24-9 so I bailed out and went and did something productive (like go get food with the wife and then watch WW ) good choice. clear head today. looking forward. will sit through the next home games, hell or high water - well, maybe :). go bills

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic op given that Brandon will be part of any search and interview process for any prospective czar should the Pegulas decide to go in that direction.

That should scare the hell out of every Bills fan out there.

Ironic op given that Brandon will be part of any search and interview process for any prospective czar should the Pegulas decide to go in that direction.

I don't understand the appeal of a football czar (not suggesting that you are advocating it) to alter the staffing and/or organizational structure. If a czar is brought in is it temporary just to assist in making changes? Or is it another organizational layer that a GM has to be concerned with as he manages the football operation.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, and never have been. My preference would be to jettison him. But with or without the talkative HC the primary issue for this troubled organization is the same that it has been since the retirement of Jim Kelly over twenty years ago i.e. is to find a credible replacement. The first priority for this organization is to make it a priority to find a quality franchise qb with the realization that if a selection is made for a qb and it doesn't work out that the pursuit for a qb will still resolutely continue until the position is properly addressed. I'm not saying anything profound; I'm only stating the obvious. Nothing changes until a quality qb is taking the snaps.

Something is inherently wrong with an organization that can not over a two decade period come up with a legitimate franchise qb who gives your team a reasonable chance to compete. It's gotten to the point that it is not only aggravating but it is also stupid!

I don't understand the appeal of a football czar (not suggesting that you are advocating it) to alter the staffing and/or organizational structure. If a czar is brought in is it temporary just to assist in making changes? Or is it another organizational layer that a GM has to be concerned with as he manages the football operation.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, and never have been. My preference would be to jettison him. But with or without the talkative HC the primary issue for this troubled organization is the same that it has been since the retirement of Jim Kelly over twenty years ago i.e. is to find a credible replacement. The first priority for this organization is to make it a priority to find a quality franchise qb with the realization that if a selection is made for a qb and it doesn't work out that the pursuit for a qb will still resolutely continue until the position is properly addressed. I'm not saying anything profound; I'm only stating the obvious. Nothing changes until a quality qb is taking the snaps.

Something is inherently wrong with an organization that can not over a two decade period come up with a legitimate franchise qb who gives your team a reasonable chance to compete. It's gotten to the point that it is not only aggravating but it is also stupid!

I would build a Rock Solid offensive line before I address the QB situation. Go with a journeyman or take some shots on QB Draft choices mid rounds until that Solid line is in place.

People that want a football czar just want a new decision maker making the calls in the Bills front office. Personally, I do not trust Whaley or Ryan to make sound decisions with regards to draft strategy, organizational makeup, and overall team philosophy. I would prefer the "football czar" to simply be our HC a la Pete Carroll in Seattle, with a smart personnel person paired with him.

This is somewhat what the Bills have setup, but the two people who have the most say(Whaley and Rex) are not qualified to run an entire organization. And we have no one anywhere in the front office structure that has any extensive experience running a modern football program.

I will tell you man, I see where your coming from but I will say this. I spent one of the games in the RV lot at one of my good friends RVs. He does more work for the Sabres then the Bills but he is very close to the inner workings of both organizations & is very close to the Pegulas. He got a few drinks in him & started talking about how RB has more than a few finger prints on the failures of the Bills organization more than anybody cares to admit. Said when Pegula took over he said the decision was made to fire RB, but somehow RB smooth talked his way into keeping his job. Said he sold out so many people, good people that were loyal to him for years to convince Pegs to keep his job. Went onto say RB was pretty much responsible for convincing Pegs to get rid of Ted Black. Said the guy can't be trusted & everybody in the organization knows it. Also said not so much now under Pegs, but under Wilson RB had major pull in football related decision.

They say to kill a snake you got to cut the head off. I think it is time Pegs wakes up & starts cleaning house & the first order of business should be to relieve RB of his duties.

Thanks for the post, not surprised at all.

People that want a football czar just want a new decision maker making the calls in the Bills front office. Personally, I do not trust Whaley or Ryan to make sound decisions with regards to draft strategy, organizational makeup, and overall team philosophy. I would prefer the "football czar" to simply be our HC a la Pete Carroll in Seattle, with a smart personnel person paired with him.

This is somewhat what the Bills have setup, but the two people who have the most say(Whaley and Rex) are not qualified to run an entire organization. And we have no one anywhere in the front office structure that has any extensive experience running a modern football program.

If there is no trust in the current staff then that calls for a change. Instead of adding another layer to the organization that would question/review the decisions of the front office then it would be better to find staffing that you trust in.

I believe that Whaley is a solid GM. I wouldn't rank him as a top tier GM but I do consider him to be competent. My feelings toward Rex are much more negative. However, if Whaley can't adequately address the qb issue in the not too distant future he should be relieved of his duties. Then the owner should find someone else who is better at finding qb talent in the draft or wherever.

This void at the qb position has been going on for more than two decades. Enough is enough!

He hasn't been an entry level employee for quite some time now, maybe 20 years is too much blame but I thought my "tounge in cheek" disclaimer at the bottom would let people realize that. My point is if you don't think he had a say in the Rex hiring and previous coaching staffs you're fooling yourself and that he has been the constant for, ok, let's say the past 10-12 of futility. If I'm wrong, and I may well be, please tell me who is responsible for this merry go round of horror because it's not our new owners who have only been here a couple of years. So instead of just saying I'm foolish please discuss your thoughts as to what the problem is and how to fix it/them. How about the football czar position that you didn't even reference too? Do you like that idea?

I'm trying to get a discussion going on the true problems and possible solutions and know the other board is not the place for that. Thought maybe here...

There is something in the building that is keeping the Bills from getting over the " hump" of a middling or worse team for years and years.

I am not one to scapegoat, but Brandon might be at his ceiling. And if he is still bending Pegulas ear , it could be a problem. I don't know that.

Thought Jim Overdorf was a huge problem during the Ralph Wilson era. Then under Whaley i thought different.

Now i am second guessing that. Especially the Dareus deal.

Whaley should have never jumped the draft for Watkins. Not saying anything about Watkins.

But the culture is still not dialed in.

worthwhile thread, This time around, Pepsicat.

This would be a concern for me.

Russ just does what the Pegulas tell him to.

His job is to execute their vision.

i think that is true in theory. And he might honestly do his best. But perhaps something is lost in the translation?

I agree. The whole concept of a "football czar" is absurd imo. It's more of a media created idea that gathered steam with the just as absurd Polian rumors from two years ago.

I agree. The whole concept of a "football czar" is absurd imo. It's more of a media created idea that gathered steam with the just as absurd Polian rumors from two years ago.

creating a buzz was what was going on with the Bills two years ago Preseason. They rode it out.

But it still comes down to winning and losing for us.

Brandon's job has been to sell tickets for football games at Rich Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, The Rogers Centre, and New Era Field. Look at what he has been able to accomplish with an inept product that takes the field. No one can deny he's not brilliant at what he does.

Brandon's job has been to sell tickets for football games at Rich Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, The Rogers Centre, and New Era Field. Look at what he has been able to accomplish with an inept product that takes the field. No one can deny he's not brilliant at what he does.

Exactly.

Imagine this team with a real QB and real playoff hopes.

Russ could take a year off

Pff.

Please. The stadium would easily sell out without Russ.

Most loyal and easiest sells in the NFL are Bills fans.

Imagine if they could actually build a winner and didn't have to sell bull **** to fans year in and year out.

Disagree. Because Buffalo is a shrinking city so he brilliantly marketed to Syracuse and southern Ontario.

Ok for people who don't like the word "czar" how about this instead: someone whit a proven track record recently in the NFL who can be a buffer between the coaches wants and desires and what's best for the organization as a whole to the owners. Can that person be a GM as well? Sure but what we have at at a basic foundational level is not and has not been working for a long time. The new owners are not to blame, they admittedly know very little about football and are looking for help. Then get someone who can help you in all aspects of running a football organization.

And for those who don't think that Russ gets to whisper his thoughts about football moves into the owners ears that would just be silly seeing how he is the Vice President or whatever of their entire sports empire. You are not in that kind of position without some kind of say and throughout the majority of this ****-show he has been the one here. You think he didn't salivate at the chance of getting Rex in here? You don't care about him fine, let him spin his marketing magic but there needs to be someone just under the owners on the football side with no other horse in the game telling the owners the truth about things and how things should be done. A marketing Vice President should not be that person cause then you get what we have. A marketing dream and a football fans worst nightmare.

Disagree. Because Buffalo is a shrinking city so he brilliantly marketed to Syracuse and southern Ontario.

I live near Utica about 45 mins east of Syracuse and am in the Cuse a lot. There is no Bills marketing. You're talking about the city (Cuse and Utica sometimes) that willingly puts on Giants games over the Bills when they have the choice. Good luck finding my Bills merchandise in the Utica area. The major stores have told me this is considered Giants and Jets territory, not BIlls so they don't stock much Bills stuff. We're talking a major city and an entire area that is completely neglected by the Bills that are 2 hours and less then 3 hours away. One with a collage basketball team that gets 30k to their games and an expensive college at that. He has done a horrible job outside the mainstay Bills area. Anyone with half a brain could sell out that stadium because we are gluttons for punishment because we love our team and will go no matter what. That is who we are so he's selling stuff to people climbing over each other theo g those money at him. Great job

I will tell you man, I see where your coming from but I will say this. I spent one of the games in the RV lot at one of my good friends RVs. He does more work for the Sabres then the Bills but he is very close to the inner workings of both organizations & is very close to the Pegulas. He got a few drinks in him & started talking about how RB has more than a few finger prints on the failures of the Bills organization more than anybody cares to admit. Said when Pegula took over he said the decision was made to fire RB, but somehow RB smooth talked his way into keeping his job. Said he sold out so many people, good people that were loyal to him for years to convince Pegs to keep his job. Went onto say RB was pretty much responsible for convincing Pegs to get rid of Ted Black. Said the guy can't be trusted & everybody in the organization knows it. Also said not so much now under Pegs, but under Wilson RB had major pull in football related decision.

They say to kill a snake you got to cut the head off. I think it is time Pegs wakes up & starts cleaning house & the first order of business should be to relieve RB of his duties.

Thanks for the insight.

I don't care what this new owner does with Brandon as long as the guy is moved as far away from any football decisions as possible. This franchise needs a solid experienced NFL man at the top of the org so it stops spinning it's wheels every year.

It's time to blow up the whole thing and bring in a new football team president who has enough NFL knowledge and experience to hire the right scouts, GM, HC, trainers, doctors to set this franchise in the right direction.

No more excuses as this owner is one of the richest in the league and he can afford to hire the best.