Rapoport: Expect off-season trade talks around Brandin Cooks

JM57

This seemed like a possibility last week. Brees does not like controversy in the locker room. There are many rumors as to why Kenny Stills and Jimmy Graham are no longer here.

In terms of Cooks the player he's really good. He's not Goodwin, he's a poor man's Antonio Brown. He caught like a billion balls in college and has been a dominant pro at times. I'd use a 3rd for him (maybe a 2nd). They need receivers and Cooks is as good as anyone that is in the draft. I'm not sure that his recent whining will make him as desirable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. WR's were getting bigger and bigger until the Seahawks made a giant CB out of Brandon Browner. It didn't take long for teams to figure out you could beat the brakes off a giant CB with a smaller, shifty, WR with great short area acceleration like Edelman or impeccable footwork like Antonio Brown.

When did the run on big corners happen? Who is a "big" corner. Peterson, Sherman, Haden, Jenkins, Slay, Norman, Davis, ... Any of those guys big? 16' draft you have Ramsey, Apple, Burns, Jackson, Alexander .. I don't see the dramatic change at the CB position that is going to lead to a push on smaller WR's.

Mike Evans is much more valuable than a Brandon Cooks,

now and forever. Cooks is certainly a better player than Goodwin but that's not a guy I'd pay/trade for. Look at Gabreil in Atlanta, or Benjamin in SD, Edelman in NE, you can get value in smaller WR's if of course you find one that is a football player and put a QB on the field with him.

Just to clear things up Cooks isn't getting targeted as much, his play isn't slipping IMO. The emergence of Michael Thomas, to a lesser degree Willie Snead, and to an even lesser degree Brandon Coleman has just limited the number of balls to go around.

Cooks is a really good receiver. Even with his "diminished role" he's on pace for 74 catches, 1,071 yards and 9 TDs. That's about 10 catches and 70 yards less than last year but still really good.

Brandon Cooks is not and never will be the best WR in the NFL. So his size is an issue. Some People don't realize we need bigger guys. Grab Brandon Cooks so he can run really fast a few times a game isn't going to do anything for this offense.

"Hey guys we drafted the wrong big guy onece a long time ago... Never draft a big WR ever again."

I bet Derek Carr loves his big WRs. I bet Tyrod would love a few of those guys.

Antonio Brown is 5'10". Two seasons ago he led the league in receiving. Last season he was 2nd. This season he's currently 3rd. T.Y. Hilton is 5'9" and sits at 5th.

Taller is better (in general), but short WRs can be outstanding as well.

Just to clear things up Cooks isn't getting targeted as much, his play isn't slipping IMO. The emergence of Michael Thomas, to a lesser degree Willie Snead, and to an even lesser degree Brandon Coleman has just limited the number of balls to go around.

Cooks is a really good receiver. Even with his "diminished role" he's on pace for 74 catches, 1,071 yards and 9 TDs. That's about 10 catches and 70 yards less than last year but still really good.

Thomas is 6'3 and Coleman is 6'6, that has to improve life for a shorter QB

Thomas is 6'3 and Coleman is 6'6, that has to improve life for a shorter QB

Not necessarily, they just have a bunch of guys open. They spread the ball around like when they won the Super Bowl.

Cooks caught 128 balls in his last year at Oregon State. I think when people think of these shorter receivers they think of a little a little, quick slot guy like Edelman or deep threat like Goodwin. Cooks is more like TY Hilton or Antonio Brown. He can certainly get down the field but can make plays in space too.

Not necessarily, they just have a bunch of guys open. They spread the ball around like when they won the Super Bowl.

Cooks caught 128 balls in his last year at Oregon State. I think when people think of these shorter receivers they think of a little a little, quick slot guy like Edelman or deep threat like Goodwin. Cooks is more like TY Hilton or Antonio Brown. He can certainly get down the field but can make plays in space too.

Cooks can play inside or out and I agree with the comparisons, he is just a lesser player than both of them. I find it interesting that Colston and Jimmy G. have the most receptions from Brees and now he has quickly falling in love with Thomas. 6'3, 6'4, 6'7... Really makes me wonder what a taller/capable weapon would do for TT

Cooks can play inside or out and I agree with the comparisons, he is just a lesser player than both of them. I find it interesting that Colston and Jimmy G. have the most receptions from Brees and now he has quickly falling in love with Thomas. 6'3, 6'4, 6'7... Really makes me wonder what a taller/capable weapon would do for TT

Brees' accuracy is why he has so much success with those guys, specifically in the red zone. He's the most accurate passer that I've ever seen. The Saints have been at their best when they have had a lot of options. They were a little thin the last couple of years, but are back this year (although I don't think Fleener is good).

A big, physical receiver would help in the red zone but the Bills are already really good there. Most importantly, they need guys that can get open. I don't care if the guys are 5'9" or 6'7" (although I do like Logan Thomas for the red zone). They need guys on 3rd and 7 that create separation and are open for a 1st down. Whether it's Cooks, or Mike Williams or Corey Davis I really don't care but they need a receiver.

I guess long story short, I would love it if the Bills could get Cooks for the right price. The one problem is that he and Watkins will go to FA at the same time (assuming the 5th year options are picked up). From that standpoint maybe it doesn't make sense but he's a dynamic receiver.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not sure a guy moaning about a lack of targets is aching to move to Buffalo.

That makes sense...

This seemed like a possibility last week. Brees does not like controversy in the locker room. There are many rumors as to why Kenny Stills and Jimmy Graham are no longer here.

In terms of Cooks the player he's really good. He's not Goodwin, he's a poor man's Antonio Brown. He caught like a billion balls in college and has been a dominant pro at times. I'd use a 3rd for him (maybe a 2nd). They need receivers and Cooks is as good as anyone that is in the draft. I'm not sure that his recent whining will make him as desirable.

Agreed. He is pretty durable too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750224/article/saints-brandin-cooks-could-be-at-center-of-offseason-trade-talks

I know this board LOVES to talk about the lack of WR depth so here's something to chew on. With the pending free agency of...basically all the WR on the roster this could be an avenue to restock the cupboard

Why would a WR complaining about lack of Targets come to Buffalo and get lack of Targets. And why give up assets for a WR that isn't going to get TGTS here Edited by MAJBobby

I don't get it people want to trade for a guy that has been passed over in NO for other players, who really hasn't produced with one of the better QBs in the game.

I would rather go after a guy like Pryor, bigger stronger still learning and going to be over 1000 yards with the QBs that Cle has been trotting out. (Granted if I am CLE I am not letting Pryor hit the market)

I don't get it people want to trade for a guy that has been passed over in NO for other players, who really hasn't produced with one of the better QBs in the game.

I would rather go after a guy like Pryor, bigger stronger still learning and going to be over 1000 yards with the QBs that Cle has been trotting out. (Granted if I am CLE I am not letting Pryor hit the market)

I don't know about not produced. He's on pace for 74 catches, 1,070 yards and 9 TDs. He had 84 catches, 1,138 yards and 9 TDs last year. That's good production, especially considering the number of good receivers that the Saints have.

FWIW, I like Pryor too (a lot). It's a matter of draft pick vs. cap space. My guess is that it's neither and one is drafted early (round 1 or 2). The Bills have a lot of ways to fill that role.

I don't know that we should look for WRs based on the need to accommodate the weaknesses of our QB. We overpaid for Sammy partly because Whaley thought the short passing game and YAC that Sammy excelled at when at Clemson would help overcome EJs

Problems. It didn't work. There is sufficient doubt about Tyrods aptitude that you want to think twice about structuring your whole O around him. Also Tyrod has had good sized targets and been unable to make productive use of them consistently. It's on him IMO.

Bills have squandered 3rd round picks on fast little guys who really aren't any good or good enuf. Why not spend a third on the real deal?

Thing is NO will be looking for more than a third. He helps their O a lot even when he is not targeted. I agree that he might not be happy coming to the worst passing O in the NFL, unless he sees a role for himself. He wants targets because he wants to be paid in two or three years. Kid is ambitious and believes in himself. I don't have a problem with that.

I don't know about not produced. He's on pace for 74 catches, 1,070 yards and 9 TDs. He had 84 catches, 1,138 yards and 9 TDs last year. That's good production, especially considering the number of good receivers that the Saints have.

FWIW, I like Pryor too (a lot). It's a matter of draft pick vs. cap space. My guess is that it's neither and one is drafted early (round 1 or 2). The Bills have a lot of ways to fill that role.

Cooks would require a pick and cap space because he isn't reporting without a new contract.