Hot water tank q

BuffaloBud

120 gallon hot water tank - one of the heating elements (bottom) threw the bit today. Service tech disconnected the dead heating element so I'm limping along with the top element (which winds up heating about 50 gallons). Good to run for a short period of time.

Two story house and only myself. Occasional guests (family). Energy standards have reduced tank size to 50 gallons now. Would like to not have any issues if I should decide to sell at some point in time.

Anyone have a tankless water heater? Are they cracked up as they are promoted? Thoughts / suggestions?

Wow, 120 gallons seems like a lot of tank for what you're describing. I'm not sure about tankless. If you don't use a lot of water then just go get a 40 or 50 gallon new heater. You can probably go through 2 or 3 of those for the price of a tankless.

We have a tankless heat and hot water unit. Absolutely love it! Very efficient, hot water on demand, 4 people, no issues (Daughter takes long showers while dishwasher is running) everyone has plenty. I can only assume the simple water heater will work the same. If your heating system is getting old, look into the whole unit, covers both heat and hot water using gas.

Maintenance men and I at work were talking about this. One guy is almost 70. Has family over once a month. Took the time cuz he knew how to do two water heaters. Two 50 gal. He has a big family, 5 bedroom 4000sq ft home. He and his wife are there else wise. One heater stays off unless family was over. The other is on a timer. They run the hot water unit from 530pm-9am. He is up by 5 for work and still has warm water.

The other is a single man, by himself who has his tank on a timer. He has a 220, as most are but only wired one l:eg to a timer. He cut his power bill by $20 in the summer and $40 in winter

I replaced an A.O. Smith 1994 80 gallon tank this year with a Bradford/White 50 gallon tank. I was amazed it lasted that long considering how acidic the water is on my property.

I, like you, had hesitations about downgrading to a 50 gallon tank to serve three people. I've been pleasantly surprised. The only time I'll get lukewarm water is if I'd run three showers back to back to back. Otherwise, hot water all the time.

IMO, a 50 gallon tank would serve your needs easily. Investing in anything bigger is just heating water continuously that you're not using.

If you go the standard tank route, try to get one from a plumbing supply supply house, not a big box. You also don't necessarily need to use solder and copper today (depending on your setup) either as the Sharkbites are high quality fittings and they keep rolling out product where you can snap fittings together instead of having to break out the torch.

I replaced an A.O. Smith 1994 80 gallon tank this year with a Bradford/White 50 gallon tank. I was amazed it lasted that long considering how acidic the water is on my property.

I, like you, had hesitations about downgrading to a 50 gallon tank to serve three people. I've been pleasantly surprised. The only time I'll get lukewarm water is if I'd run three showers back to back to back. Otherwise, hot water all the time.

IMO, a 50 gallon tank would serve your needs easily. Investing in anything bigger is just heating water continuously that you're not using.

If you go the standard tank route, try to get one from a plumbing supply supply house, not a big box. You also don't necessarily need to use solder and copper today (depending on your setup) either as the Sharkbites are high quality fittings and they keep rolling out product where you can snap fittings together instead of having to break out the torch.

You're right about avoiding the big box stores for appliances. If you ever need any type of service after the sale, they won't be there to help you. I'd consider paying a few bucks more to a local reputable business that's available to help with any service problems. I always try to give the small business guys a break, and never regretted it.

Funny thing. My water heater didn't heat the water one evening about a month ago. It happened again this morning. I'm going to replace my water heater and get on top of it before it dies completely and I'm going to go with a hybrid.

Funny thing. My water heater didn't heat the water one evening about a month ago. It happened again this morning. I'm going to replace my water heater and get on top of it before it dies completely and I'm going to go with a hybrid.

You may not have to replace the entire heater unless it's ancient or you just simply want to. That sounds like one of the elements has failed. The majority of water heaters have two elements, a lower and upper. 9 out of 10 times the lower one fails first simply because it's down in the muck and corrodes faster.

You may not have to replace the entire heater unless it's ancient or you just simply want to. That sounds like one of the elements has failed. The majority of water heaters have two elements, a lower and upper. 9 out of 10 times the lower one fails first simply because it's down in the muck and corrodes faster.

You know, that's probably what happened. But the water heater is the most inefficient one (the energy guide arrow is all the way to the right) and I'm thinking I should get rid of it anyway. But I'll talk to the plumber and see what he says.

Thanks.

You know, that's probably what happened. But the water heater is the most inefficient one (the energy guide arrow is all the way to the right) and I'm thinking I should get rid of it anyway. But I'll talk to the plumber and see what he says.

Thanks.

No problem. Just didn't want you to think that you had to run out and make that investment if you didn't necessarily want to.