The NFL and marijuana

Kirby Jackson

This feels like a good bye week topic (especially following the election). Personally, this feels like a good opportunity for the NFL to loosen the strings on testing. They can hide behind the growing legalization and new medical information (even if they don't have any). They don't want to be suspending guys longer for weed than for domestic violence. The NFL can take this time to get something back from the players. If I were an owner I would push for harsher punishments for violent crimes and domestic violence. In return I would decriminalize marijuana use.

What would you do?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000738074/article/several-nfl-owners-execs-eyeing-marijuana-discipline-changes?campaign=Twitter_atn

My feelings haven't changed....alcohol and tobacco are proven to be much more dangerous than marijuana....if they are legal pot should be also.......if smoking a little pot temporarily eases the pain these guys go through it should be allowed

Prescription opioids given to athletes for pain are far, far, far worse than marijuana due to their highly addictive nature. Let them have their pot for pain relief or recreation. But the league will want something for eliminating testing. Hopefully it'll be increased testing for PEDs instead of financial concessions.

The players do it anyhow in season knowing they only get tested once for the year. Nothing would change. Maybe Trump should just legalize marijuana at the federal level. The protesters might back off him if that was the case. Its legal in Canada, it's legal in many states. There haven't been any negative ramifications that I'm aware of. If they make it legal and tax the crap out of it then it would be a big money maker plus make the liberal crowd happy

The players do it anyhow in season knowing they only get tested once for the year. Nothing would change. Maybe Trump should just legalize marijuana at the federal level. The protesters might back off him if that was the case. Its legal in Canada, it's legal in many states. There haven't been any negative ramifications that I'm aware of. If they make it legal and tax the crap out of it then it would be a big money maker plus make the liberal crowd happy

whoa whoa whoa...not exactly. "Marijuana remains a Schedule II drug under the Controlled Drug and Substances Act, and, unless otherwise regulated for production and distribution for medical purposes, is subject to offences under that Act. Possessing and selling marijuana for non-medical purposes is still illegal everywhere in Canada."

agree but how will they be able to deal with an idiot like this?

The easy answer is that they won't have to deal with him and their issue right now is trying to actually do something when they probably shouldn't Edited by NoSaint

This feels like a good bye week topic (especially following the election). Personally, this feels like a good opportunity for the NFL to loosen the strings on testing. They can hide behind the growing legalization and new medical information (even if they don't have any). They don't want to be suspending guys longer for weed than for domestic violence. The NFL can take this time to get something back from the players. If I were an owner I would push for harsher punishments for violent crimes and domestic violence. In return I would decriminalize marijuana use.

What would you do?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000738074/article/several-nfl-owners-execs-eyeing-marijuana-discipline-changes?campaign=Twitter_atn

Here's a timely article about a head to head comparison study between cannabis and oxycodone.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-new-test-of-pots-potential-to-replace-painkillers/ar-AAk7Na1?li=BBnbcA1

What would you do?

I personally dont care one way or another. If the NFL wants to tell players they cant smoke up so be it. A private employer can tell you they dont want you wearing the color red as a condition of your employment.

But overall Im in favor of loosening up medical marijuana laws.

It's not officially legal in Canada yet. They are still working out the laws.

Trump, being a money guy, would appreciate taking the black market profits of weed and bringing them into the light. He could tell the states "I'll take pot off schedule 1 but you states have to cut the Feds in." A federal excise tax on pot sales. Millions, if not billions, of new revenue. If I'm Trump I wouldn't care how much the DEA likes busting people for weed. It's costing us real money.

Besides, the CIA has been selling drugs for years to bankroll its black ops.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I expect this to happen in the next 5 years. Identifying, reporting, and suspending NFL players for weed does nothing for the NFL. They are spending time and money to tarnish the image of the league. I think the average Joe thinks NFL players get caught using drugs all of the time.

This is an opportunity to take a large portion of these headlines away. The only counter-argument I can think of is that the NFL, in not specifying what drugs were identified, is using weed as a cover, leaving fans to be unsure if the league is being too harsh (suspecting weed) when they might come away instead thinking players were often trying to cheat (steroids, HGH) otherwise.

What portion of drug violations in the NFL do you think is due to THC detection?