Trump & SCOTUS 2017-2021

/dev/null

How many Justices will Trump appoint  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How many Justices will Trump appoint

You really need to stop with this insane crap. I know that this forum is generally left alone by the mods because it's understood to be a lost cause in terms of reasonable discussion, but this hate you've been pushing is too much. Please stop.

Better to know who you're dealing with. He's a disgusting nazi and simply merite insults by the good people of this board.

You really need to stop with this insane crap. I know that this forum is generally left alone by the mods because it's understood to be a lost cause in terms of reasonable discussion, but this hate you've been pushing is too much. Please stop.

I'm not in any way defending Ozy here, but this board is left alone by mods because it's understood adults shouldn't need Big Brother to dictate what is 'reasonable' discussion. Over its history this board has done a really good job of beating true idiots into submission, regardless of their politics.

I'm not in any way defending Ozy here, but this board is left alone by mods because it's understood adults shouldn't need Big Brother to dictate what is 'reasonable' discussion. Over its history this board has done a really good job of beating true idiots into submission, regardless of their politics.

That's why I addressed it to the cheapass nazi troll himself. Edited by Cugalabanza

Trump isn't replacing Ginsburg. They'll start playing "Weekend at Ruthie's" with her before they let Trump replace her.

Well, Hairy Reid has retired from the Senate. Maybe they put him in charge of the regular, periodic waxing of her head so she passes for "live".

Stretch Pelosi could help out on occasion too. Or maybe she could get some of her husband's employees from Guam* to do it on the cheap. They don't earn minimum wage, so that might be a good bargain for the Dems.

*Tell 'em Charlie sent ya.

Once the mid terms flip the Senate, there won't be any more SC Justice hearings.

On the contrarry

Democrats are defending 26 seats and the Republicans only 8.

Of the 8 Republican seats, there are only two seats (Arizona and Nevada) that are in play

Of the 26 Democrat seats, they are defending seats in Indiana, North Dakota, Montana, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Virginia

Then there's Joe Manchin, incumbant Democrat from West Virginia who may flip to Republican

On the contrarry

Democrats are defending 26 seats and the Republicans only 8.

Of the 8 Republican seats, there are only two seats (Arizona and Nevada) that are in play

Of the 26 Democrat seats, they are defending seats in Indiana, North Dakota, Montana, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Virginia

Then there's Joe Manchin, incumbant Democrat from West Virginia who may flip to Republican

Yeah, and Hillary was a shoe-in to win the election.

Why? And if so, who does Pence nominate?

IMO, he ran to fulfill some ego thing he has going and I don't believe he really wants the pressure of being President. His excuse will be something about not being able to run his business while running the free world.

It also won't be any fun for him not being able to fire members of the house and Senate.

I also believe that the man is plain and simply batshit crazy.

I have no idea who Pence would nominate but I know it'll be someone not just right leaning but very right leaning

AFTER MERRICK GARLAND

One of Donald Trump’s first acts as president will, I hope, be to nominate a conservative to fill the vacancy left by Justice Scalia. I don’t doubt that Trump will pick a conservative, most likely someone from his lists.

I’m also confident that the Senate will confirm Trump’s pick. If 60 votes aren’t to be had, the Senate likely will abolish the filibuster, as the Democrats did for lower court nominees.

We shouldn’t delude ourselves that the confirmation of a conservative nominee will alter the Supreme Court, though. At best, the new Justice will restore the 4-4-1 balance of recent years. Justice Kennedy, a non-conservative, will be the swing vote in the big cases.

Only if Justice Kennedy or one of the four liberal Justices leaves the Court might the balance tip to conservatives. But that depends on Trump’s second nominee being conservative. Of this, I’m not highly confident.

In sum, Trump’s victory saved us from a Supreme Court dominated by liberals, but will not quickly make the Court conservative. Until Trump puts conservatives on the Court back-to-back, with one of them replacing Kennedy, Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, or Kagan, we’ll have the kind of Court we’re accustomed to — a so-so Court, neither liberal nor conservative. Nor is it clear that, given the opportunity, Trump will pick two conservatives back-to-back.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/11/after-merrick-garland.php

I went with five.

Age is a big problem on our Supreme Court. With age comes health problems.

You have two 80 year olds, one who's almost 80 (Breyer), and two pushing 70 (Thomas and Alito).

There is only one that's south of 60 at this point.

I went with five.

Age is a big problem on our Supreme Court. With age comes health problems.

You have two 80 year olds, one who's almost 80 (Breyer), and two pushing 70 (Thomas and Alito).

There is only one that's south of 60 at this point.

You wonder why they stay on the court until they're dead or nearly dead. It must be a very cushy lifestyle or a power trip or they are people who don't know there can be more to life or all of the above.