Since 2013, this team is 36-19. How?

You guys place way too much importance on the head coach. Andy Reid is a GOOD coach. He's not good enough to magically take a team with average talent and make them 36-19. They have a ton of talent on defense and are a very well-rounded team. It's not like if Andy Reid were coach of the Bills since 2013 that he'd be 36-19 too. There are two coaches in the sport that can turn any team into a contender. Bill Belichick and Jim Harbaugh. That's it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the record I picked the Chiefs to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl on here before the season and got somewhat lambasted for it. I'd obviously take New England now but I do believe them to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AFC and maybe in all of football. And I don't feel this way because they have Andy Reid. They're a really good football team, period.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You guys place way too much importance on the head coach. Andy Reid is a GOOD coach. He's not good enough to magically take a team with average talent and make them 36-19. They have a ton of talent on defense and are a very well-rounded team. It's not like if Andy Reid were coach of the Bills since 2013 that he'd be 36-19 too. There are two coaches in the sport that can turn any team into a contender. Bill Belichick and Jim Harbaugh. That's it.

Andy Reid inherited a 2-14 team his first season and they went 11-5. Followed by 9-7. Followed by 11-5. And now 5-2.

Where was the talent in 2012 to go 2-14?

The Bills had talent under Marrone and now have talent under Rex. The QB we couldnt win with went 10-6 his first season with the Jets.

The chiefs have a game manager at QB. We have a game manager. The chiefs have great RB. We've had great RB. The Chiefs have 1 deep threat in Maclin we've had Sammy. They have Kelce we have Clay. Theyve had pass rushers we've had pass rushers. We have had talent during the same stretch.

The way we have lost to the Chiefs every single year prior to this year in recent history is a microcosm of how similar yet different these orgs have been. We find ways to lose/hand games over more often than the Chiefs do. Why is my question? Bad luck? Bad coaching? Dumber players? All of the above?

Andy Reid inherited a 2-14 team his first season and they went 11-5. Followed by 9-7. Followed by 11-5. And now 5-2.

Where was the talent in 2012 to go 2-14?

The Bills had talent under Marrone and now have talent under Rex. The QB we couldnt win with went 10-6 his first season with the Jets.

The chiefs have a game manager at QB. We have a game manager. The chiefs have great RB. We've had great RB. The Chiefs have 1 deep threat in Maclin we've had Sammy. They have Kelce we have Clay. Theyve had pass rushers we've had pass rushers. We have had talent during the same stretch.

The way we have lost to the Chiefs every single year prior to this year in recent history is a microcosm of how similar yet different these orgs have been. We find ways to lose/hand games over more often than the Chiefs do. Why is my question? Bad luck? Bad coaching? Dumber players? All of the above?

Good post. I said that yes, he is a good coach but I don't think they'd be 19-36 since 2013 if Rex Ryan had been their coach. I don't think he would've turned, say, the Browns into a contender this year- who were better than 2-14 last year. A lot of things have fallen their way. And Alex Smith is better than people think. As evidenced by his performance against the Bills last year. He was excellent. That was not a fluke. That's what he looks like. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Good post. I said that yes, he is a good coach but I don't think they'd be 19-36 since 2013 if Rex Ryan had been their coach. I don't think he would've turned, say, the Browns into a contender this year- who were better than 2-14 last year. A lot of things have fallen their way. And Alex Smith is better than people think. As evidenced by his performance against the Bills last year. He was excellent. That was not a fluke.

Thanks. Alex Smith has definitely found his happy safe zone in KC. It's just frustrating to see a team like KC that on paper is so similar to Buf succeed while Buf continues to float around .500 for eternity.

And for the record I picked the Chiefs to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl on here before the season and got somewhat lambasted for it. I'd obviously take New England now but I do believe them to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the AFC and maybe in all of football. And I don't feel this way because they have Andy Reid. They're a really good football team, period.

Then what player(s) makes them a Superbowl contender? Defense is solid but not that great. Alex Smith is at best about as good as a journeyman and their top offensive threat has barley seen the field for over a year. Andy Reid is the main reason they are a contender.

Then what player(s) makes them a Superbowl contender? Defense is solid but not that great. Alex Smith is at best about as good as a journeyman and their top offensive threat has barley seen the field for over a year. Andy Reid is the main reason they are a contender.

And that's where we fundamentally disagree. Main reason? No. Rex Ryan took two Jets teams with garbage on offense and solid defenses to the AFC Championship game, neither of which they had any business being in. Was he a great coach then? Has he lost a step since? Coaches are judged by their team's performance relative to their perceived talent. But there is more to it than that. Luck is a lot of it. One of those 36 wins is a direct result of the worst pass ever thrown in an NFL game by one Jeff Tuel.

Boom, thanks JMC. :thumbsup:

Definitely a huge factor.

Correct. And turnover differential cannot be coached. Sorry if you think it can. Marcus Peters is a ball hawk. That has more to do with anything than Andy Reid coaching his running backs to not fumble. All coaches teach you that. Edited by metzelaars_lives

And that's where we fundamentally disagree. Main reason? No. Rex Ryan took two Jets teams with garbage on offense and solid defenses to the AFC Championship game, neither of which they had any business being in. Was he a great coach then? Has he lost a step since? Coaches are judged by their team's performance relative to their perceived talent. But there is more to it than that. Luck is a lot of it. One of those 36 wins is a direct result of the worst pass ever thrown in an NFL game by one Jeff Tuel.

Correct. And turnover differential cannot be coached. Sorry if you think it can. Marcus Peters is a ball hawk. That has more to do with anything than Andy Reid coaching his running backs to not fumble. All coaches teach you that.

I agree about turnovers not being coachable. However, coaching philosophy plays a huge factor in how many turnovers you're going to have. Andy Reid loves to run the ball. Andy Reid knows Smith's limitations. Smith is the main reason the KC chiefs rank highly in TO differential, and that's as much a result of Reid's game plan than it is Smith not throwing picks (obviously Smith needs to perform).

The Bills are 3rd this season and were 8th last season in TO differential. Mainly b/c TT doesn't turn the ball over.

Correct. And a good takedown of what I continue to hear, year after year, all evidence to the contrary, namely, "the Bills are as talented as [name perennial playoff contender]."

Thanks. Alex Smith has definitely found his happy safe zone in KC. It's just frustrating to see a team like KC that on paper is so similar to Buf succeed while Buf continues to float around .500 for eternity.

Remember , the Bills were the team that wanted Alex Smith the most ( offered two draft picks to every other team' s one ) when he was made available by SanFran. The Chiefs had to step up and match the Bills offer of two picks ( KC had a higher draft slot) to get him. I think the Bills FO was on the right track there. They knew their philosophy and A. Smith was the perfect QB to make it work. I'm pretty confident if the Bills had landed Smith, the drought would have already ended.

The right coach w the right QB gets you good results.

I think most of us here would admit that if the Bills had drafted R. Wilson, the Bills would not be enjoying the same success Seattle is.

Andy and Alex make a nice couple In KC. The thing is, they will never win a SB much less get to one. So ask yourself what you want.

I wish Rex sucked like Reid. Reid has winning seasons, makes the playoffs, and wins a playoff game here and there. After 16 years of stupidity, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Andy Reid has a career playoff coaching record of 11-11 in 17 seasons, during pretty much all of which he has had a bonafide franchise quarterback. Rex Ryan has a career 4-2 playoff record in 7 seasons with Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and now Tyrod Taylor. Edited by metzelaars_lives