Syracuse Hoops 2016-17

The Poojer

Tips off tonight, exhibition against Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Game can be seen if you have the watchespn app on Xbox, Playstation, Amazon firestick or Apple TV. Should be an exciting year!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/11/syracuse_basketball_vs_indiana_pa_live_updates_from_exhibition.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was waiting for this thread! Really excited to see guys like Lydon take the next step.

Rumor has it that Roberson has been working on his shot all offseason, and Boeheim has been gushing about the improvement of Frank Howard. We have the grad transfer, Gillon, to play PG, but it's going to be hard to keep Howard on the bench.

I scored floor seats for Syracuse v UCONN at MSG on December 5th. Pumped.

This team looks stacked. A lot of excitement around town about them. Players talking about going 10 deep...it's like they don't know who their coach is. :lol:

Boeheim has seemed quiet confident about them too.

Let's go Cuse!

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Sounds like Gillon looked good at the point with 9 assists. Howard flashed, but may also be trending toward the dreaded Boeheim "dog house" with 3 or 4 stupid turn overs. I'm hearing the frosh PF Thompson played surprisingly well showing a soft touch and good feet around the rim. Battle looking solid. This may be the deepest Syracuse team since Onuaku's senior season.

5 star 2017 C, Nick Richards, from NYC will announce his college decision on Tuesday (11/10). He recently cut his "list" down to Kentucky, Syracuse and Arizona. Thought to be a Kentucky lean for some time now, there are rumors floating around that he is considering Syracuse more now due to the pending (hopefully) Quade Green committment. Would be a HUGE get for Syracuse, but I'd give us about a 40% chance at landing him. Ranked 12 overall in '17 class.

Ditto. My wife is going out tonight with friends and I am watching our three little and wild kids. Streaming kills any chance of me watching even like 1 second of this game.

I have a USB cord that connects my MacBook to my television. I can't hear the audio through my surround sound, but the picture is usually very good.

I am curious to see Howard and Gillon play. Frank has been starting, but by most accounts, Gillon has been the better PG.

I have a USB cord that connects my MacBook to my television. I can't hear the audio through my surround sound, but the picture is usually very good.

I am curious to see Howard and Gillon play. Frank has been starting, but by most accounts, Gillon has been the better PG.

That's interesting. I was expecting Howard to get most of the minutes. I know JB had a really quick hook with him though last year.

Opening Night! Time to start the ritual again. 5 guys on the way then the long trek up the hill. 2 years ago I found an amazing parking area that is free and I've parked there since without issue. If anyone heads to a game pm me and I will give you directions. Easy to find as it is right by Marshall St.

Things I'm looking forward to seeing:

Lydon's growth - So glad he came back as it was the right choice imo.

Franklin! - came on at the end of last year will be interesting to see if he has continued to improve

Battle - Can't wait to see if the hype delivers

Chukwu - 7'2" is literally huge and I want to see if he is more Chino or Arinze

Roberson - When motivated he makes the team go. Now that it is "his team" I want to see if he can be motivated all the time.

Grad Transfers - Some vet leadership for a young team. Can they fit in quickly?

Howard looked really good against LeMoyne. It's a nice problem to have if you are the coach, maybe not if you are the player

Just today he was sent down to Sacramento's D League team in Reno.

Should have never left. He could've been a top 10 pick if he stuck it out this year. I don't blame guys for chasing the money but if they thought long term and about their second contract (where the real money is in the NBA) it would have been a better idea to stick it out. Add him to the list of Cuse guys that left too early.

Should have never left. He could've been a top 10 pick if he stuck it out this year. I don't blame guys for chasing the money but if they thought long term and about their second contract (where the real money is in the NBA) it would have been a better idea to stick it out. Add him to the list of Cuse guys that left too early.

Preaching to the choir, brother. It's that second deal that you want. I want to do a study on this, but I suspect more 3 or 4-year college guys get the second contract than the 1-and-doners.

Preaching to the choir, brother. It's that second deal that you want. I want to do a study on this, but I suspect more 3 or 4-year college guys get the second contract than the 1-and-doners.

I'd love to have Mali back too, obviously. Although some folks are saying that AW3 will make us forget about him. I can't remember where I read it, but I believe the one-and-doners who are drafted in the first round make significantly more money over the course of their careers than the 3-4 year college players who are drafted in the 1st round. I'm going to look for the article.

Any thoughts on the game for those who watched?

We have 2 PG who can both distribute the ball well and score points. Gillon seems to be the better shooter of the two, but Howard seems much improved. Andrew White can absolutely shoot the lights out. In terms of shooting, not much of a drop off from Mali at the 3. White reminds me of Demetrius Nichols.

Roberson is benefiting from the point guard play, as he has been racking up the easy buckets in the paint after nifty assists. Lydon hasn't been shooting the ball particularly well, but he has been a beast on defense. DC2 looks more muscular and much more athletic than in the past. Chukwu is a bit light, but his length in the middle of the zone will be nice. Good shot blocker.

Tyus Battle appears to be as advertised. He does it all at the guard position, and probably will be a one and done. Taurean Thompson looks like a man, and has good footwork and a soft touch around the rim. Look for him to get minutes at the 4.

Overall, this may be one of the best SU teams in a long time. They are very deep, can shoot, and are very long and active in the zone. I'm really excited about this season.

Any thoughts on the game for those who watched?

I agree with Johnny that this team appears to be very deep and talented. They were playing against Colgate but there is a lot to be encouraged by.

1. Roberson looked great. He played with the energy that is missing from time to time. If he takes to the leadership role I see him being the go to guy on this team

2. The grad transfers look great. Gillon is a little sparkplug. He dumped 7 quick ones in the last minute of the first half to really stretch the lead. White also looked really good as you can see from the box score.

3. Franklin! I don't know why I love this guy but I do. He played really well and was humble in the post game interview. He had more 3s in this game than all of last year. When asked about it he said "well it wasn't that hard to do" lol.

4. Lydon, Coleman, Chukwu. There is size and depth! Coleman is obviously limited and Chukwu can't hit a ft to save his life but big bodies are always coveted. Chukwu looked really fluid on the court for a big man.

5. Thompson and Battle looked good out there for Freshman. Battle is HUGE.

6. It looks like it might be a 9 man rotation for Cuse which to me has been there biggest downfall in recent years. They had 0 depth and guys were playing 39-40 minutes a game and getting gassed by Feb.

Should be a fun year for Cuse!

excellent comments by both, i have nothing more to add, it is going to be a fun season, and I agree about Franklin, he is someone you can't help but root for. Lydon needs to shake off the cobwebs, then, watch out

I agree with Johnny that this team appears to be very deep and talented. They were playing against Colgate but there is a lot to be encouraged by.

1. Roberson looked great. He played with the energy that is missing from time to time. If he takes to the leadership role I see him being the go to guy on this team

2. The grad transfers look great. Gillon is a little sparkplug. He dumped 7 quick ones in the last minute of the first half to really stretch the lead. White also looked really good as you can see from the box score.

3. Franklin! I don't know why I love this guy but I do. He played really well and was humble in the post game interview. He had more 3s in this game than all of last year. When asked about it he said "well it wasn't that hard to do" lol.

4. Lydon, Coleman, Chukwu. There is size and depth! Coleman is obviously limited and Chukwu can't hit a ft to save his life but big bodies are always coveted. Chukwu looked really fluid on the court for a big man.

5. Thompson and Battle looked good out there for Freshman. Battle is HUGE.

6. It looks like it might be a 9 man rotation for Cuse which to me has been there biggest downfall in recent years. They had 0 depth and guys were playing 39-40 minutes a game and getting gassed by Feb.

Should be a fun year for Cuse!