How come Whaley upgraded the WR position last year?

Yeezus

And didn't seem to do anything about it this past off-season?

He clearly thought the WR's group needed a boost by signing Percy Harvin. And this was with a seemingly healthy Watkins and Hogan still on the roster.

How does he not even try to help upgrade the position this off-season. Many of us were screaming for the FO to do something, b/c as bills fans we KNEW we would be in the position we are at right now. 4 practice squad WR's starting is never any help to your QB.

Whaley hit a home run on the defense but his lack of acquiring WR talent will prob cost this team a playoff spot this year. How can you judge a QB when he has 1 proven target on the field (Clay).

Everytime I see Tyrod buy time to scramble and direct his WR's to get open i cringe b/c I know they aren't going to get open. And of course instead of looking for a trade the Bills just promote another practice squad guy.

The top three receivers to start the season were not available on Sunday. What do you expect a GM to do that he hasn't already done? You're working with a 53 man roster, which means you can only keep five or six receivers.

TT so far has accuracy problems and anticipating the WR getting open. That IS part of the problem. But unless you have a Tom Brady back there, this group of WR isn't going to scare anyone.

If I were to assess blame I'd put our lack of top NFL caliper WR's at about 65% and maybe 35% is TT's fault. I'd put a disclaimer there too that maybe TT shares more of the blame, but so far haven't seen enough of him with a good WR group to know would he be doing much better with better players, or would it be the same identical results? Until that happens I'll put the bulk of the blame on probably the worst group of starting WR's in the league.

TT so far has accuracy problems and anticipating the WR getting open. That IS part of the problem. But unless you have a Tom Brady back there, this group of WR isn't going to scare anyone.

If I were to assess blame I'd put our lack of top NFL caliper WR's at about 65% and maybe 35% is TT's fault. I'd put a disclaimer there too that maybe TT shares more of the blame, but so far haven't seen enough of him with a good WR group to know would he be doing much better with better players, or would it be the same identical results? Until that happens I'll put the bulk of the blame on probably the worst group of starting WR's in the league.

Taylor's accuracy has been fine. Anticipation and progression speed have been his flaws since last year.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

We should draft a QB, WR, RB, OT, OG, C, DT, DE, ILB, OLB, S, CB every year. That way hopefully one out of three works and the team will be consistently great.

Of course where do we get all of those draft picks.

So no you can't waste draft picks just to pick one, like I consistently hear about CB, Q, etc.... but we do need a better GM who can find the right players at the right time. It's like chess you need to be 3 steps ahead or you're going to lose.

Because you have priorities and the priorities here to fix a Defense and re-sign your OL

Thats what they did, smart actually when your coach has a run first, play conservative on O, play top end defense

Maybe if the Bills didnt change their schemes every 2 years

3-4 coach

4-3 coach

3-4 coach

Etc etc etc

Spread coach

Conservative

Etc etc

Maybe just maybe we can get some consistency building a roster

But they bring it on themselves we have a top 4-3 defense and hire a 3-4 coach, so instead of just having to fix an offense and get depth we have to rebuild a defense

This team doesn't have a WR problem. It has a QB can't find or throw accurately to a WR problem.

Enough excuses, already.

This. Exactly this. Now, I will admit that the WR group this team is currently fielding couldn't crack another roster anywhere else in the league, but it still starts with the QB.

Anthony Lynn's "simplification" of the passing game is a built in excuse for Tyrod having to only look on one side of the field. If I was a WR knowing he's going to pick his matchup pre-snap, and I'm not that guy, it's gotta suck knowing there's very little chance the balls coming my way.

This team doesn't have a WR problem. It has a QB can't find or throw accurately to a WR problem.

Enough excuses, already.

The 2016 Bills don't have a wide receiver problem? They just signed Ed Eagan. They might literally have the worst wide receiving corps of any team in the NFL in the last 25 years.

The 2016 Bills don't have a wide receiver problem? They just signed Ed Eagan. They might literally have the worst wide receiving corps of any team in the NFL in the last 25 years.

Hunter, Powell and Eagan. What could go wrong? Sounds like a down market accountants.

Let's see them get some catchable balls that allow them to attempt some YAC before we judge them.

Worst receiving corps in 25 years? Now there's an exaggeration.

I don't understand why, with Harvin oft-injured then retiring and Hogan leaving via UFA that they wouldn't look at the WR position this off-season. Whaley entered the the 2016 off-season with an injured Watkins and added the likes of Leonard Hankerson, Jarrett Boykin, Greg Sales, Greg Little, and Walter Powell. This, after having another injury waiting to happen in Goodwin and only Woods on the roster. His response? Draft Kolby Listenbee in the 6th round.

I get that talking personnel and risk is beyond some here, but shouldn't a NFL GM anticipate that the WR corps was weak and/or banged up to begin with? And that replacing the departures with who they did probably wasn't a good solution?

Worst receiving corps in 25 years? Now there's an exaggeration.

I don't understand why, with Harvin oft-injured then retiring and Hogan leaving via UFA that they wouldn't look at the WR position this off-season. Whaley entered the the 2016 off-season with an injured Watkins and added the likes of Leonard Hankerson, Jarrett Boykin, Greg Sales, Greg Little, and Walter Powell. This, after having another injury waiting to happen in Goodwin and only Woods on the roster. His response? Draft Kolby Listenbee in the 6th round.

I get that talking personnel and risk is beyond some here, but shouldn't a NFL GM anticipate that the WR corps was weak and/or banged up to begin with? And that replacing the departures with who they did probably wasn't a good solution?

Is it? Walter Powell, Justin Hunter and Ed Eagan? Find me a worse one. I'll hang up and listen. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I think a lot of people just took for granted that Tyrod's trajectory would continue but as is often the case it did not.

If he had gotten better at throwing with anticipation, into tighter windows and with greater accuracy then he would be killing it because his ability to move continues to leave him with wide open receivers despite a lack of special talent at the position.

But he hasn't just leveled off, he has actually declined as a passer.

The Bills should have been expecting the worst at QB because the #1 job of an organization is to improve the quality of their QB play.

That doesn't mean just the QB itself.......it means everything it takes to make that QB performance better.

I think that his trajectory is very hard to determine with the absence of starting WR talent. Time will tell.

I think that his trajectory is very hard to determine with the absence of starting WR talent. Time will tell.

I am a big Tyrod fan but he still has guys open and if he's lucky he sees them.......gets it into their general area........and doesn't make them completely stop in their tracks and wait for it.

When you've got 8......even 9 in the box at times....... you gotta' be able to just pick that sh*t apart.

Would some guys with an enormous catch radius help? Yes......and I am a big proponent of getting them.......but he's not nearly as handicapped in the passing game as some fans want to think. They are open.