27.5 Million

MAJBobby

His cap hit next year will be around 15 million, and only up to 16 / 17 going forward. It's an intelligently designed contract. They can even cut him next year or the year after - they'll still have to pay his base salary for 2017 / 2018, but he has very little dead cap money. Dareus, for example, has a dead cap number around 30 million, making him literally impossible to cut. Tyrod's number is around 2 million.

It's a resonable contract for a starter regardless. According to sportrac, his 18 million per year average is ranked #18th amongst QBs. He's behind the likes of Cutler, Tannehill, Kaepernick, and Cousins. His contract will not hamper their cap situation that much. They can draft or sign a QB in the next couple years to take over if Tyrod continues to stagnate. The bills will have about 25 million in cap space next year including his contract.

And let's be realistic here - he is in a tough spot right now. He has easily the worst WR group in the league to throw to. He's playing behind a line that's having a lot of issues with pass protection.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His cap hit next year will be around 15 million, and only up to 16 / 17 going forward. It's an intelligently designed contract. They can even cut him next year or the year after - they'll still have to pay his base salary for 2017 / 2018, but he has very little dead cap money. Dareus, for example, has a dead cap number around 30 million, making him literally impossible to cut. Tyrod's number is around 2 million.

It's a resonable contract for a starter regardless. According to sportrac, his 18 million per year average is ranked #18th amongst QBs. He's behind the likes of Cutler, Tannehill, Kaepernick, and Cousins. His contract will not hamper their cap situation that much. They can draft or sign a QB in the next couple years to take over if Tyrod continues to stagnate. The bills will have about 25 million in cap space next year including his contract.

And let's be realistic here - he is in a tough spot right now. He has easily the worst WR group in the league to throw to. He's playing behind a line that's having a lot of issues with pass protection.

You are way off on the reality of the dead money.

Cap Number is all that matters anymore. 4th or 5th wealthiest owner in NFL.

Tyrod has a lower tier starting QB cap number. And he is easily cuttable starting in 2018. Even though we need a QB long term, I feel I like he is here to stay for a few years.

Why does this matter? He will never have to dip into his own pre Bills wealth to cover Bills roster expenses...

My issue with it, Value. Also once the Option is picked up you are married to him for 2017 and 2018. So essentially 2 more years of not having a good enough QB.

If picking up the Option did not guarantee his 2018 salary I would be OK with picking it up

Edited by MAJBobby

My issue with it, Value. Also once the Option is picked up you are married to him for 2017 and 2018. So essentially 2 more years of not having a good enough QB.

If picking up the Option did not guarantee his 2018 salary I would be OK with picking it up

The contract is more than fair. Who are your better options?

The bonus amortization makes it so you aren't cutting him before 18 even with the salary non guaranteed -- it's kind of a silly spot to draw the line in the sand

The contract is more than fair. Who are your better options?

Value.

Can I get similar play from a 6M a year QB? Yes I can.

People want to get ride of Gilmore because their statements although a good player not with the Contract he will get. Well Tyrod should be in that same category although a good player Not worth the contract he HAS.

Let me ask you this, do you think Cardale Jones right now can do exactly what Tyrod Taylor is doing? Logically looking at the QB play I think he would be very close, with room to grow. Taylor is at his ceiling and that is not value for the cap hit and money he will get

The bonus amortization makes it so you aren't cutting him before 18 even with the salary non guaranteed -- it's kind of a silly spot to draw the line in the sand

At this point I am moving on from him. let him test the open market and see what he gets. But I really think the type of play we are getting from him I can get from a majority of QBs in the NFL

Ok what expectations should i have for this QB. that has a 27.5M decision, that locked this team to him for at least 2017, 2018.

The Bills really hold all the cards here. That's why the deal was good for OBD. Teams around the league are overpaying for FA QBs , they had to hedge their bets to have the option to keep TT at a reasonable cost if he played well in 2016. They obviously wanted to keep the franchise tag for a lower paid position than QB. Even if they do decide to pick up TT for the next two years, his cap hit will put him only around 20th or so of 32 starting QBs. That's pretty low, and probably about right for what he produces. He's around a bottom 12 or so guy more than a top 15 right? There really isn't much of a problem here. There are no FA QBs on the horizon that would upgrade the position. Trade for a QB? Maybe, then they would likely let TT go. It seems the Bills have covered their bases and are certainly evaluating TTs play even more than us fans are. The cap hit is low if they do keep him another two years, so who cares how much $ Pegula bucks he's actually getting? It's not our money, after all.

I happen to love Tyrod Taylor even with his limited ability to "want" to make every throw. Considering just how crappy the wide receiver corps is at this point and also taking into consideration that the 2016 Bills are a run-first team.

A run-first team that is predicated on being able to effectively move the ball on the ground and currently the Bills have only one single RB that can make that happen... is currently injured. The defense works well with a run first team that helps keep them fresh and on the sidelines while limiting their time on the field. Too much time on the field and the defense has a meltdown like we saw with the Jets and the 4th quarter of the Miami game.

Still, Tyrod outplayed a supposed Miami franchise QB in tallywhacker in yards throwing, rushing and in TD's! We know that the current Bills QB is limited and the coaching staff and GM should be able to find quality talent at RB other than just one guy! Last year the Bills had Karlos Williams who filled in admirably and this offseason turned himself into a bloated loser who is now on the Steelers P.S.

The Bills can win games even against good teams with a 100% healthy Shady McCoy and it might just be easier to find another top elite RB over an elite franchise QB.

You dont pay a starting QB in the NFL 6 mil a year, this isnt 1993. Cardale? Seriously? Did you just start watching football yesterday? Quartebacks, even the top prospects take years to develop properly. Cardale will look like Genos little brother out there.

No, i do not think Cardale will look anywhere near what Taylor looks like. I think Cardale would make EJ look like a MVP.

I understand, Tyrod dosent look like a hall of famer, but fact is,is that there is no one better in the foreseeable future, and 14 million a yearfor a starting QB is the going rate. Hes not Brady, hes not gonna win games on his own. But the offense is decimated, cut him some slack. Theres no other options.

You dont pay a starting QB in the NFL 6 mil a year, this isnt 1993. Cardale? Seriously? Did you just start watching football yesterday? Quartebacks, even the top prospects take years to develop properly. Cardale will look like Genos little brother out there.

No, i do not think Cardale will look anywhere near what Taylor looks like. I think Cardale would make EJ look like a MVP.

I understand, Tyrod dosent look like a hall of famer, but fact is,is that there is no one better in the foreseeable future, and 14 million a yearfor a starting QB is the going rate. Hes not Brady, hes not gonna win games on his own. But the offense is decimated, cut him some slack. Theres no other options.

You have 4th round rookies coming into the league and look more advanced Passing than Tyrod is. So yes I do think you can get exactly what Tyrod is offering at 1/3rd the cost

You have 4th round rookies coming into the league and look more advanced Passing than Tyrod is. So yes I do think you can get exactly what Tyrod is offering at 1/3rd the cost

Wait, who? What fouth round rook looks better?

So you propose we get Dak Prescott and pay him 6 million a year. Im in, i guess.

Git r done, Doug

No I am proposing you can get the SAME play and production from a Journeyman QB and or Rookie QB without the 16M cap hit and being married to Tyrod until after the 2018 season

So you propose we get Dak Prescott and pay him 6 million a year. Im in, i guess.

Git r done, Doug

i believe we are likely at "cut tyrod and hope he or some other vet (not sure who) will sign cheap, and we pair them with a long shot midround prospect and cardale"

which sounds a lot like not doing well in 2017 as the odds of any one of those working out are very low (if any even become available for us).

No I am proposing you can get the SAME play and production from a Journeyman QB and or Rookie QB without the 16M cap hit and being married to Tyrod until after the 2018 season

I think we need to keep Tyrod, give him weapons, and play like a well rounded team.

Im quite ok with his salary. Any other options for the next two years are just grasping at straws.

Cardale would be an unmitagated disaster, and MAYBE a fouth round rook, like Prescott, falls into our lap, but those are very far and very very few inbetween.

I think we need to keep Tyrod, give him weapons, and play like a well rounded team.

Im quite ok with his salary. Any other options for the next two years are just grasping at straws.

Cardale would be an unmitagated disaster, and MAYBE a fouth round rook, like Prescott, falls into our lap, but those are very far and very very few inbetween.

Then let me ask this question would you re-sign Gilmore?

and if they do and TT is an expensive back up for a year with two other really cheap qbs in the room.... so be it. great problem to have.