Doug Whaley

Watkins101

Let's look at what Doug Whaley had done as far as getting vets that preform well:

Lesean McCoy, Zach Brown, Lorenzo alexander, Richie Icognito, resigned Cordy Glenn, Mike Gillislee, along with restructuring contracts to get more cap space.

Remind me why he sucks?

Let's look at what Doug Whaley had done as far as getting vets that preform well:

Lesean McCoy, Zach Brown, Lorenzo alexander, Richie Icognito, resigned Cordy Glenn, Mike Gillislee, along with restructuring contracts to get more cap space.

Remind me why he sucks?

16 years, And some draft picks got injured.... blah blah blah

For some strange reason he gets no credit. The bills ranked high in the draft in terms of grades this year and every line i saw was "this is Rexs" Draft.

I personally think he has done an outstanding job at assembling talent for this team via free agency and the draft. He will get knocked for QB as he should. I am not a huge Tyrod Taylor fan myself but he is performing well. What he lacks in the passing game he makes up with his legs.

IN one of Rex's pressers he was talking about Lorenzo. Rex was high on him but lost track of him at some point. Doug found him brought him to Rex's attention and now we have the league leader in sacks.

Remind me why he sucks?

that stupid Hughes trade.... what was he thinking... and bringing in TT? What good has that done? Don't forget that we've come to expect his 3rd round draft picks to be day one starters.... because of his "talent evaluation skills"

Why do we even tolerate this guy...

Wasted a seventh rounder a guy like Henderson....

Don't even get me started on clay.... that guy blocks! And can play receiver? Where does he even get off thinking that's cool?

And who even carries a FB anymore.... Felton.... why?

Let's wait and see. I am very excited about this team, and encouraged on a few fronts.

However, while I do subscribe to a 'win is a win' mentality... there are qualifiers for each one of these wins so far.

If this team gets to 5-2 next week, again we will be at a fever pitch and get to hear Dareus says "aint nobody likes the Patriots" again... it'll be exciting.... but will Brady and co. once again slap the Bills to the ground? If not.... look out. They'll be the sweethearts of the NFL... But if they do again get shut down by the Pats, start to struggle in the tough portion of the schedule, the Bills will largely still be considered in Neutral. Say they go 8-8, we are talking about a 4-6 or 3-6 finish. That will be disappointing.

I have been a big "consultant" guy, still am. But even if this team gets to 8-8, I'm fine with keeping everything intact for another season.

He's whiffed a few times.. EJ, and at this point maybe Sammy. Overall doing a good job tho

What QB should the Bills have taken in that draft?

Keeping in mind they assessed the QB talent correctly enough to risk trading down, getting Kiko and ultimately SHADY MCCOY with that move as well.

Remind me why he sucks?

Don't leave out Hughes for Shepard...

What QB should the Bills have taken in that draft?

Keeping in mind they assessed the QB talent correctly enough to risk trading down, getting Kiko and ultimately SHADY MCCOY with that move as well.

This.

We were done with Fitz, partially because of performance, partially because the new staff didn't really want him, and partially because of that stupid phone call.

We were going to take a QB with our first pick. We traded back, and picked up Kiko/Shady + EJ.

What should we have done instead? Even with hindsight being 20/20, I can't really see a clear 'better' answer. Hell, if we picked EJ and had better coaching, who knows what he would have developed into. Instead we picked him, gave him no QB coach, and the only vet presence was Kevin 'Scrambled Brains' Kolb.

I have said it before, but Carson Palmer was available that offseason for a price of peanuts and cracker jacks.

Were there any rumors of mutual interest at the time? We went with Kolb for some reason, was there an argument for Kolb over Palmer? We also had Fitz money on the books, not sure what our financials were looking like that offseason

I have said it before, but Carson Palmer was available that offseason for a price of peanuts and cracker jacks.

I don't think he would have come to Buffalo. Too far east for him at that point in his life.

This.

He had to re-sign a new contract right after that trade and there was no way that West Coast kid was coming up to Buffalo, NY.

no rumors, just fell that way. I don't think Palmer had a say as he was traded (for a 6th?) It just always (from like mid-season on) seemed like the Bills flew the flag that "this year we are taking a QB". For awhile, Geno had everyone salivating, especially early that year when WV was on fire. Then there was Barkley and Glennon who were considered with Landry on the Fringe. EJ was kind of an out-of nowhere guy, and a lot of the pundits didnt seem to have him anywhere near the 1st round. Turns out they are all terrible

In hindsight, it would have been best to keep Fitzpatrick as a bridge-guy and try to keep trying to find QBs. The QB position in the aftermath was a minor-league stable of fail with Kolb, EJ, Jackson, Thad, and Tuel.

We got kind of lucky with Taylor and they did the right thing IMO grabbing Cardale as a project. Taylor is doing a good job of avoiding hits... but IMO the mobile QB will eventually be taken out with injury. I would like for them to put a lot of resources into scouting a pocket/traditional QB. Try to find a 'bridge' QB (even if its Taylor with that contract)