How does Mike McCoy still have a job??

Big Turk

The Chargers have wasted Phillip Rivers career since 2009. The Chargers have had 1 playoff appearance since 2009 and have not had a record better than 9-7 since 2009 either. The Chargers results from 2010 to 2015 aren't terrible if they were a team struggling to find a QB but they had a prime true franchise QB (Unarguably a top 7 QB if not higher) during that period. Having a franchise QB is such a devastating advantage in the NFL you should be consistently in the playoffs and over 10 wins a year.

The Chargers are just awful they need to clean house now.

I predict they will beat Denver at home on TNF, prolonging the McCoy nightmare. If they lose he's finally gone IMO. They will win and the fans will be pissed.

They have Ken WhisenPunt lurking in the shadows waiting to be named interim HC.

Denver is the team they will beat??

Ok..

Anyway, Rivers and the Charger have a long history of choking that extends back before McCoy was named HC....

could not disagree more...everything you point out are players making physical mistakes...how is that related to coaching?

Now , may be they need a change ...but dude can coach.

As an aside, i feel awful for Charger fans. This year is so critical to them staying there...and if they were 4-1 instead of 1-4..maybe they got a chance. I always think ole Flutie saved our beloved Bills with his 98 season, think the Chargers are having the exact opposite

Amazing how good coaches don't have these type of things happen while poor coaches always seem to have these things happen...

After seeing time and time again how much of a difference a good coach or manager can make with the exact same employees I seriously don't understand how someone can look at results like this and say they have nothing to do with coaching.

You've obviously never been involved in seeing first hand what a difference going from a bad leader to a good leader can make and vice versa...I have many times, and I am telling without a doubt his poor leadership plays a very large, if not the biggest role in this.

Edited by matter2003

Rivers throws too many picks. -Period.

I get that he's fantasy GOLD, but that doesn't equate to elite status on the field in real time...

Talks too much trash... Poor leader. (perhaps as a result of the aforementioned).... and again, Rivers throws WAY too many picks at critical points in close games.

could not disagree more...everything you point out are players making physical mistakes...how is that related to coaching?

Now , may be they need a change ...but dude can coach.

As an aside, i feel awful for Charger fans. This year is so critical to them staying there...and if they were 4-1 instead of 1-4..maybe they got a chance. I always think ole Flutie saved our beloved Bills with his 98 season, think the Chargers are having the exact opposite

I agree, Paul, on all counts (including Flutie playing a role in saving the Bills). It's absolutely mind-blowing how the Bolts have lost these games and I can't put the blame on coaching. For crissake, last week the punter let a perfect snap go right through his hands on the tying FG attempt.

They talk about teams you "don't want to play" -- I'm very glad the Bills don't play SD this year. They will ruin somebody's season (besides their own).

Mike McCoy had the Chargers in the playoffs in his first year as HC after Norv Turner destroyed a Marty Schottenheimer built playoff team.

Anyway, what to me is incredible is the way Phillip Rivers can win some games all by himself with a bad defense and a non-existent run game. (last year) Last years stats, 667 passing attempts vs 393 rushing attempts. Yikes!

This season it's not as bad with 173 passing vs 124 rushing and the offense under SD OC Ken Whisenhunt is #2 in points and #8 in yards. Meanwhile, another Pagano like the Colts HC that should be fired is John Pagano the Chargers DC! That Charger defense is ranked 28 in points allowed and 23 in yards allowed.

Another thing is half the team is on IR already and one-third of the remaining players look to be questionable.

Right now Mike McCoy is 23-30 and won't have a job much longer if he doesn't fix that defense. He should start by firing Pagano. JMO

Amazing how good coaches don't have these type of things happen while poor coaches always seem to have these things happen...

After seeing time and time again how much of a difference a good coach or manager can make with the exact same employees I seriously don't understand how someone can look at results like this and say they have nothing to do with coaching.

You've obviously never been involved in seeing first hand what a difference going from a bad leader to a good leader can make and vice versa...I have many times, and I am telling without a doubt his poor leadership plays a very large, if not the biggest role in this.

bad coaches do not put people in situations where they can be successful....good coaches do.As McCoy has done.But it is up to the players to perform physically. McCoy has that team in positon to win every single week, and the players have lost them games through physical mistakes. If these were all mental mistakes..or even some of them were ..on McCoy. Physical is on the player plain and simple.

Ans please do not suggest i don't know what it takes to win on high level of competition...I do!

And sports is not business, or volunteer groups, or any other kind of organization in any way, shape, or form. I know i made more than one bone -headed play that had nothing to do with coaching..had everything to do with me not getting the job done.

The problem resides with ownership - no commitment to excellence - like so many teams

The Spanos family is replaying a version of "Major League" in their foolish quest for a new stadium.

Edited by Bob Lamb