Time management, end of 2Q yesterday...discuss...

eball

Situational football is the wheelhouse that clock management falls into. Just a pretty woeful error to make, hope it's a teachable moment for him.

Tyrod has been playing QB at the pro and major college level for a decade............every QB at either level knows you gotta' play with a sense of urgency, not take a coverage sack with the clock ticking down etc............he literally made about a half dozen mental and physical mistakes in that drive.

It just is what it is...........he makes up for his bonehead plays by making big plays and not turning the ball over. The fear of those big plays opens up opportunities for him to make throws with HS level accuracy to wide open receivers.

Bonehead......like when he lined up behind his guard for the snap.......lost 15 yards.........then scrambled for the first down.

I've been a Tyrod supporter but it is getting less amusing without noticeable improvement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only mistake was when Tyrod ran the ball out of bounds instead of just throwing it away when they were in the redzone... likely only cost the 2-3 seconds, but this extra time would have given us an opportunity for a shot at the endzone before settling for the kick.

Gannon was especially critical of that play. The way he described the play, you would have thought the clock would start ticking after the ball was reset. Obviously, Gannon thought he could have done better, but I could not see it. I think these announcers have a certain script in mind and they don't know how to adapt to a different storyline.

Tyrod has been playing QB at the pro and major college level for a decade............every QB at either level knows you gotta' play with a sense of urgency, not take a coverage sack with the clock ticking down etc............he literally made about a half dozen mental and physical mistakes in that drive.

It just is what it is...........he makes up for his bonehead plays by making big plays and not turning the ball over. The fear of those big plays opens up opportunities for him to make throws with HS level accuracy to wide open receivers.

Bonehead......like when he lined up behind his guard for the snap.......lost 15 yards.........then scrambled for the first down.

I've been a Tyrod supporter but it is getting less amusing without noticeable improvement.

Which six mistakes did Tyrod make on that 10 play drive? Edited by eball

I thought they should've been using timeouts when LA had 1st and goal. At that point you know they only have 3 plays. Hindsight makes it a moot point, but in the moment...

I thought the same thing. It's not a no brainer though because if you go, say, three and out, they have a ton of time to score, too. It's hard to do everything right. We used the clock pretty good but not great. We had a lot of time, we didn't give them a chance. I would have liked a couple shots at the endzone which we didn't do. But it was a pretty decent drive.

I thought the same thing. It's not a no brainer though because if you go, say, three and out, they have a ton of time to score, too. It's hard to do everything right. We used the clock pretty good but not great. We had a lot of time, we didn't give them a chance. I would have liked a couple shots at the endzone which we didn't do. But it was a pretty decent drive.

I think a couple shots at the endzone may have been the idea, but Taylor ran out of bounds on one and went underneath to Clay instead of looking a little deeper on the final play before the kick. I don't see Taylor taking many risks in the red zone. It's been a blessing and a curse this year.

I think a couple shots at the endzone may have been the idea, but Taylor ran out of bounds on one and went underneath to Clay instead of looking a little deeper on the final play before the kick. I don't see Taylor taking many risks in the red zone. It's been a blessing and a curse this year.

It is but it's hard IMO to criticize when they score 30 on the road and he only has one turnover in five games.

Oh, and has the worst WR corps in the league.

It is but it's hard IMO to criticize when they score 30 on the road and he only has one turnover in five games.

Oh, and has the worst WR corps in the league.

I won't argue the bold. It was a god win. It's hard to criticize the game. I was in the stands and I thought the first half offense was great. I am just having a hard time getting past the fact that we had a brutal stretch in the third quarter that was only saved by Keenum's terrible decision on the out route. I think the team is playing opportunistic right now. It's good, but a +9 turnover differential seems lofty to maintain. We shall see...

I won't argue the bold. It was a god win. It's hard to criticize the game. I was in the stands and I thought the first half offense was great. I am just having a hard time getting past the fact that we had a brutal stretch in the third quarter that was only saved by Keenum's terrible decision on the out route. I think the team is playing opportunistic right now. It's good, but a +9 turnover differential seems lofty to maintain. We shall see...

Uh oh, I see a return to the "is this sort of winning sustainable" storyline we saw during Chan's second season... ;)

Uh oh, I see a return to the "is this sort of winning sustainable" storyline we saw during Chan's second season... ;)

Turned out it was. The difference I think here is the D is playing well even excluding the turnovers. In 2011 the D was ONLY stopping people by taking the ball away... every drive was either a turnover or a TD. You had to believe that eventually that was going to change and when it did we just couldn't stop anyone. Interestingly I have seen places where the D coordinator of that defense - George Edwards (now DC of the Vikings) - is being talked about as a potential HC candidate for the next hiring season.

Turned out it was. The difference I think here is the D is playing well even excluding the turnovers. In 2011 the D was ONLY stopping people by taking the ball away... every drive was either a turnover or a TD. You had to believe that eventually that was going to change and when it did we just couldn't stop anyone. Interestingly I have seen places where the D coordinator of that defense - George Edwards (now DC of the Vikings) - is being talked about as a potential HC candidate for the next hiring season.

Totally agree, just having some fun. And yes, seeing Edwards' name as a candidate has been shocking. Don't you think that's really Zimmer's D, though?

Which six mistakes did Tyrod make on that 10 play drive?

total crickets from Badol on this one...and if its"he should have thrown the ball away instead of run"..i aint buying it. That's one of his major strengths, why would he not use it.

Rex's priority was leaving no time for the Rams to respond. That is why they don't call TOs early in drives in that situation.

Tyrod was not accurate enough at the end of the drive and that was the real problem.

Smart man right here!

so funny, i had no idea he was the D coordinator there...

total crickets from Badol on this one...and if its"he should have thrown the ball away instead of run"..i aint buying it. That's one of his major strengths, why would he not use it...

I think Badol is talking about the times that TT is running to the sidelines and cannot get off a pass and should just toss it OB before he runs OB. He did it once during that drive. He's done it several times this year. I think there was a game earlier this year when the Bills were charged with two sacks against because he did it once one yard behind the line and once two yards behind the line.

It's a tough call because he's always running with his head up and looking downfield to make a pass or make a play, and doesn't really have time to look down and see if he is a yard or two ahead or behind the line. But there are some times when he knows he can't make a play and should just toss it out.

I think Badol is talking about the times that TT is running to the sidelines and cannot get off a pass and should just toss it OB before he runs OB. He did it once during that drive. He's done it several times this year. I think there was a game earlier this year when the Bills were charged with two sacks against because he did it once one yard behind the line and once two yards behind the line.

It's a tough call because he's always running with his head up and looking downfield to make a pass or make a play, and doesn't really have time to look down and see if he is a yard or two ahead or behind the line. But there are some times when he knows he can't make a play and should just toss it out.

So that's one mistake during the drive. Where were the other five?

So that's one mistake during the drive. Where were the other five?

One could argue he didn't get the plays off fast enough a couple times.

One could argue the pass to Woods was awful that Woods have to dive and catch when he was wide open (I agree with that a lot).

One could argue he didn't take one shot to the endzone.

One could argue the pass that got to the five or so to Clay was not a good pass and/or was an ill advised pass.

One could argue he threw a bad ball to I think Goodwin early in the drive on the right side.

One could argue he didn't get the plays off fast enough a couple times.

One could argue the pass to Woods was awful that Woods have to dive and catch when he was wide open (I agree with that a lot).

One could argue he didn't take one shot to the endzone.

One could argue the pass that got to the five or so to Clay was not a good pass and/or was an ill advised pass.

One could argue he threw a bad ball to I think Goodwin early in the drive on the right side.

I guess we should change your user name to Badol's Mouthpiece? ;)

I guess we should change your user name to Badol's Mouthpiece? ;)

I agree with him. All those things are debateable. The one I want back from TT is the pass to Woods. His non-throw away was so similar to the one to Woods that I'm ok with it. The other points are in a perfect world type of things. Considering our 2 min drill of late I'll take how well it did run.

I think the bills wanted to make sure they got a first down before going into true hurry up mode. That accounts for the slow start. I also feel like they deserved more time. On each of their 2 timeouts 3 seconds ran off the clock before time stopped. It seemed like a hometown clock operator to me, but maybe this is often the case. Those extra seconds would have allowed them to throw into the end zone once.