Tom, Greggy or anybody

4merper4mer

This isn't really political but sort of goes with some stuff that gets posted on this board and has a little politics and science in it. I wanted to get your opinions.

I've recently read that Saturn's moon Titan has lots of liquid on its surface, an atmosphere of Nitrogen and some water ice. The liquid is methane and ethane which probably smells pretty bad.

Anyway I was wondering three things about this.

#1 is science-y and probably for Tom:

With all of that stuff right there on the surface if somebody went to Titan and lit a match wouldn't the whole thing go up in a gigantic explosion? I mean the whole orb is pretty much flammable. Boom. So friggin cool. And it would probably be a relatively cheap thing to do from a space program point of view.

#2 is sort of political and probably for Greggy:

If there are aliens on Titan....which there aren't as sitcom math has proven.....wouldn't the whole explosion thing be the best course of action? If they are there, even if they were yet to evolve, they are a little too close for comfort IMO. Blowing it up makes sense.

#3 is $$$$$ and for anybody:

How do we monetize this? Getting there with a match and a robot can probably be done for about $1B, but how do we make money from this idea? Youtube guys will just steal the video and definitely impact any pay per view revenue we could get. We could trademark a few catchphrases but $1B is still a lot of t-shirts to sell. "Let's make the Titanic unsinkable again".

The only big thing I can figure is we fool some stupid country into think we blew it up with a secret weapon that we will sell them when it is really just a friggin match. Canada is stupid enough but they seemingly have no interest in weapons and we could get their entire GDP for a decade and we'd still be better off selling t-shirts. China is too smart to fall for it. One slip uo with the Saudis and Greggy's head is rolling down a flight of stairs. That might be worth the risk but there have to be better options. Call me crazy but I'm thinking Switzerland. They have all of those secret banks, you just know that neutrality stuff is just BS until a real opportunity comes along and lots of those people are of German descent so you know what that means. And they have been out of the game so long they might be easily fooled.

What do you guys think? Is this worth pursuing?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I'm pretty sure you'd only have combustion or an explosion if there was oxygen present.

2) Who cares? If there are beings there, screw'em - we have enough diversity around here as it is. Before you know it, they'll be wanting their own bathrooms.

3) If you could blow it up, you'd monetize it by putting up a couple satellites mounted with cameras, advertise the explosion, and make a butt-ton of cash off of the ad revenue.

3. Build a pipeline to it and bring the methane and ethane to earth. Then sell it to Coleman to bottle it for their camp stoves and lanterns. Sit back and count the cash as it rolls in.

That sounds like a trojan horse for Titan aliens. No thanks. I don't think we can quit on the blowing up thing. How much oxygen would be needed. Cars explode all the time right from the gas tank and the methane lakes are just like gas but liquid. I don't know why you would need oxygen but couldn't we just bring some?

I don't know why you would need oxygen but couldn't we just bring some?

I don't know the exact (or even the approximate) amount, but you'd probably need a lot, since as far as I know, oxygen is always a required component for combustion.

If Tom has already seen your question, he's probably working out the math right now.

I don't know the exact (or even the approximate) amount, but you'd probably need a lot, since as far as I know, oxygen is always a required component for combustion.

If Tom has already seen your question, he's probably working out the math right now.

None of this makes too much sense and I think I'll wait for Tom.

It needs oxygen to explode but air and oxygen are the same thing and when you light a match on Earth, the planet doesn't explode but cars full of gas explode all the time?

Let's just say you're not making all of this up or just missing some blank that Tom will fill in. That would mean we can't explode Titan all that easily like I thought. Would something else be easier like Venus maybe which is closer? I'm not all that hung up I Titan i just got the idea when I read about it. Friggin Jupiter bowing up would be outrageous.

That sounds like a trojan horse for Titan aliens. No thanks. I don't think we can quit on the blowing up thing. How much oxygen would be needed. Cars explode all the time right from the gas tank and the methane lakes are just like gas but liquid. I don't know why you would need oxygen but couldn't we just bring some?

But if their horses were wearing trojans then only Rex would have to worry about getting fully pregnant. Something to think about.

I don't know about the science of all this, but from a marketing standpoint, I bet you could get Apple to finance the project. We could take all the defective Samsung Galaxy phones, bundle them together into a giant man-made asteroid (the "aster-droid" if you will) and launch that to Titan as the igniting element. Apple could use it as their new campaign. (Apple: Our phones don't cause cataclysmic cosmological explosion events within our solar system.)

We would all get to witness a really cool looking fireworks show and it wouldn't cost taxpayers anything. The only downside being that annoying hipsters would probably use the whole thing to their own stupid skinny jeans, man bun advantage somehow.

Edited by Cugalabanza

You'd need about 11 times as much oxygen as methane.

But you don't necessarily need oxygen. Chlorine works as well.

3. Build a pipeline to it and bring the methane and ethane to earth. Then sell it to Coleman to bottle it for their camp stoves and lanterns. Sit back and count the cash as it rolls in.

That's a stupid idea. You'd have to run it through the asteroid belt. How are you going to protect it from damage? You idiot.

:lol:

This thread is already gold... so I'll lower the bar to silver:

1) There's already evidence of an exploded planet in our solar system's past, but it wasn't a match that set it off. Brilliant Pebbles, Google it but go back before 1990 and beyond Google's first page of hits (if you're reading about SDI you're reading the wrong thing). The notion was there was a large planet between Mars and Jupiter that was detonated in some sort of cataclysm. The asteroid belt is said to be the remnants of this exploded "super-earth". Some researchers think there was life on the exploded planet, and on Mars at the time, and the cataclysm not only destroyed the larger planet but decimated the atmosphere of Mars as well. If you want to get your hands dirty with some real trippy new age stuff, there's much said about this in the Law of One... which I'm hoping you or Googlebot read and report back on simply for my amusement. It's a "book" of channeled messages from a group of beings who originated from Venus... yeah, you'll love it.

2) In the last ten years our solar system has gone from dry to wet. Think about the implications and timing of that massive course correction in our understanding of our galactic neighborhood. We once believed there was no water on any of the celestial bodies outside of comets in our solar system, yet now we've been given press release after press release saying there's water on Mars, on all the moons of Saturn and Jupiter, hell even the gas giants themselves: http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/the-solar-system-and-beyond-is-awash-in-water .

What does life on Earth teach us above all else? If there's water, there's life. Literally everywhere on this planet, where there is water there is life. Building on that, we also once believed planets were rare outside of our sun. Now we have concluded that earth like planets are common in the universe -- nearly as ubiquitous as water. So what these releases are really preparing us for is the realization that we are not alone in our own solar system, let alone the universe. There are literally hundreds of millions of water rich, rocky, earth like planets out there... including in our own back yard.

But let's dig deeper into Titan, over the past five years mainstream news has reported the following: it has an atmosphere, it has a rocky surface with oceans and is "more earth-like than once believed." http://www.space.com/14247-saturn-moon-titan-atmosphere-earth.html. There is a reason these stories are coming out in droves. The solar system is swimming in water, moons and planets once thought to be incompatible for life are suddenly discovered to be the opposite... it won't be long until the next step of the process is unveiled: there's not just water and basic life out there, there's intelligent life visiting us here.

3) You monetize it the same way we've always done: resource extraction. Why do you think private space contractors are pushing through asteroid mining legislation in the US Congress? Everyone knows the wealth of resources out there in our solar system, guys like Musk and Bezos aren't trying to get to Mars and beyond just to go down in the history books -- they're doing it because they realize the enormous profit opportunities.

...Of course, if what I said in #2 is anywhere close to reality, resource extraction could get complicated quickly if those space rocks aren't the inhospitable and uninhabited orbs we've been led to believe they are. Or, you know, if we've got our own secret programs already operating in deep space extracting those sorts of resources, SpaceX and company might find themselves facing some pretty hostile resistance.

:ph34r:

1) There's already evidence of an exploded planet in our solar system's past, but it wasn't a match that set it off. Brilliant Pebbles, Google it but go back before 1990 and beyond Google's first page of hits (if you're reading about SDI you're reading the wrong thing). The notion was there was a large planet between Mars and Jupiter that was detonated in some sort of cataclysm. The asteroid belt is said to be the remnants of this exploded "super-earth". Some researchers think there was life on the exploded planet, and on Mars at the time, and the cataclysm not only destroyed the larger planet but decimated the atmosphere of Mars as well. If you want to get your hands dirty with some real trippy new age stuff, there's much said about this in the Law of One... which I'm hoping you or Googlebot read and report back on simply for my amusement. It's a "book" of channeled messages from a group of beings who originated from Venus... yeah, you'll love it.

This can't possibly be true. For that theory to be true, we'd have to be able to describe how Mars' atmosphere was stripped away. And we can't describe that, since we can't explain turbulence.

OK, not having much success so any references to this would be appreciated. Love this kinda ****. Reptoids kinda ****.

Edited by joesixpack

Wasn't this all resolved in the movie 2010?

You aren't supposed to go anywhere near Jupiter.

Not only that, but according to Stranger In A Strange Land, the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter is the remnants of a planet that got a little bit too nosy for their own good.

Don't mess with the Heinlein.