The People's Republic of Oakland

Chef Jim

Will the City of Oakland also be responsible for playing 25% of the real estate taxes, 25% of sales taxes to the state of California, 25% of Social Security taxes, 25% of rent/mortgage, 25% of employee pay (at $15/an hour of course)

Or do they make the greedy capitalists pay all that out of their 75% while the city's 25% is pure profit?

Looks like Oakland is adopting the Mafia's business model

The Mafia is exactly how I put it.

Holy schmoley. That's crazy. In a genius kinda way.

No it's stupid in a stupid kind of way. When they legalize it (which they likely will) all the new dispensaries will not come to Oakland. They will go to Alameda, San Leandro, Emeryville and SF. The city will end up losing money over this "land grab". Medical marijuana is taxed differently from recreational and of course recreational is taxed much higher. Ounce again politicians making policy without thinking of the logical outcomes.

Will the City of Oakland also be responsible for playing 25% of the real estate taxes, 25% of sales taxes to the state of California, 25% of Social Security taxes, 25% of rent/mortgage, 25% of employee pay (at $15/an hour of course)

Or do they make the greedy capitalists pay all that out of their 75% while the city's 25% is pure profit?

Looks like Oakland is adopting the Mafia's business model

Is this different than taxing the hell out of it, like with gasoline and tobacco?

The Mafia is exactly how I put it.

No it's stupid in a stupid kind of way. When they legalize it (which they likely will) all the new dispensaries will not come to Oakland. They will go to Alameda, San Leandro, Emeryville and SF. The city will end up losing money over this "land grab". Medical marijuana is taxed differently from recreational and of course recreational is taxed much higher. Ounce again politicians making policy without thinking of the logical outcomes.

I don't mean genius in a good way. I just mean it's a brilliant way to shake down businesses under the guise of "we're doing it for the people so we can get them things we couldn't otherwise get them in a regular budget."

You know the first thing out of the locals' mouths will be "Like what kinds of things?"

Most people won't care about something like this if there's something in it for them.

Just a bit.

I agree. I also think the City should tax the industry if they want a share of the revenue, and it benefits them, too. If their only involvement is tax revenue, then they don't have to incur any liability of the individual businesses. Oakland shouldn't try to re-invent a wheel that already rolls just fine.

I agree. I also think the City should tax the industry if they want a share of the revenue, and it benefits them, too. If their only involvement is tax revenue, then they don't have to incur any liability of the individual businesses. Oakland shouldn't try to re-invent a wheel that already rolls just fine.

And how fine does this taxation wheel already roll? Been to Oakland recently?

This is so typical. Insinuate yourself into an industry in order to "regulate" it and tax the #@%$ out of it, all in the name of the public good. In the meanwhile, they're actually going to be shocked when people opt to keep their grow rooms secret and illegal, because all you need to do is save enough to afford a decent lawyer and all the rest is profit.

Any money they gain from this will go down the same rabbit hole that's caused California's outrageous debt.

And how fine does this taxation wheel already roll? Been to Oakland recently?

Never been there but I'm sure I've got a good sense of it here in NYC. Come meet our mayor, he's a helluva fellow.

I'm not a big gov't, big tax guy. But (looking at it from that point of view) if there's a choice between having the city be a business partner vs. taxing a business, it is better just to tax. Municipalities aren't good at running a business. They are good at taxing businesses.

IF any of you were still wondering who the real fascists are in government. This proposal should remove all doubt. This is literally fascism's business model. Not only do we want a cut, but, we want to direct the company as well. "Oh sure, this is still a "private" firm, but, you will do as we command".

It's always hilarious to see the far left eat itself.

I wonder: as a board member, and part owner of the firm, when the inevitable lawsuits that come from DWHs, cancer victims, or "I was gonna do X, but then I got high(NSFW, notice the Oakland Raiders T-shirt)" frivolidiots....

....are they gonna pay their fair share of the settlements, or try to duck out on some bogus immunity defense?

I mean, since so many things(like vaping) are "known to the State of California (which says it all) to cause X" :lol::lol::lol:, you know its only a matter of time until they throw weed onto that huge pile.

Just imagine it: "weed is known to the State of California to cause men to not pay their child support"..... :lol: @An entire state of clowns.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Onerous regulation and interference will only make the price higher. This will only help the black market to continue to thrive. To my way of thinking that's one of the advantages of legalization. Take the criminal element out. This seems backwards.

Maybe they should have state stores like some states do for alcohol? Washington State did until a couple of years ago. Pennsylvania had them too. Not sure if they still do.

Onerous regulation and interference will only make the price higher. This will only help the black market to continue to thrive. To my way of thinking that's one of the advantages of legalization. Take the criminal element out. This seems backwards.

Maybe they should have state stores like some states do for alcohol? Washington State did until a couple of years ago. Pennsylvania had them too. Not sure if they still do.

They do (pa). Up until recently you could only buy beer at a bar or beer distributor too.

I'm not a big gov't, big tax guy. But (looking at it from that point of view) if there's a choice between having the city be a business partner vs. taxing a business, it is better just to tax.

From the article: "several Oakland City Council members wants to require any new marijuana business in the town to give the city a 25 percent ownership in the company, as well as at least one seat on their board. The Easy Bay Express reports that the plan, advanced by Councilmembers Desley Brooks, Larry Reid and Noel Gallo, would lock out any businesses that did not participate, denying them a business permit."

That's a pretty far cry from the city becoming a business partner. In my view, it's a shakedown racket. They're using their authority to step in and skim one-fourth of the profits at the cost of the business losing it's license to operate. That's fascist and totalitarian in my dictionary.

Yep, I completely agree.

They don't even try to hide it anymore. Were just going to take it. It's legal because we make the law! We work with a guy who is by San Jose State Sparton stadium and there are two of these dispensaries beside him. Both have armed security out front in plain sight. My friend says they are making so much money they don't know what to do with it. I guess the mob wants it's cut.

Edited by Dante