Rex Told Lynn That Lynn Would Be The Next Head Coach

birdo67

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed!

I think there is a lot to this. It's doesn't mean I think he's the guy, just that the HC needs a certain skill set beyond X's and O's. He may have it, he may not. He may still needs more time, he may not. I'd be curious to know who is really making this decision, and pray they get it right.

On a side note, Jim Bob Cooter was a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 2008, nad he's getting a lot of attention now for what seems to be a pretty good job with the Lions. ....and of course, it's just fun to say Jim Bob Cooter. :)

we take for granted things like the HC having to be 100% situationally aware on the sideline, all the way down to knowing his guys well enough to set bye week practice plans, to travel plans to sorting out personality issues and.... if you can just essentially "buy" the playbook by hiring a couple of excellent coordinators and let the head coach be a true executive -- thats kind of appealing in its own way even though you dont see a ton of it in the nfl.

as for cooter... my only concern is his multiple arrests. i would want to know about that guys sunday night celebrations, or memorial day weekend behavior inside and out before putting him at HC. i would be scouting him like a top draft prospect with character concerns and have people talking to former coworkers and bartenders at local establishments and.... before making that call.

I realize that this is my first post ever, so it will be taken with an extra large grain of salt, and I completely understand that.

And I can't reveal my source, but this comes from someone with knowledge of the conversation -

During this most recent off-season, Lynn had been interviewing with other teams, looking to move up the offensive coaching ladder. Rex was aware of these interviews, and he called him in for a chat. He basically said, "Look, I'm not going to stop you from interviewing with other teams. But trust me, you want to stay here. This will be my last year, and the Pegulas love you. You're going to be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills."

That wouldn't have made much sense at the time, but after the start to this season, and after Roman getting fired, it's starting to look a lot more likely. So why would Rex assume or even know this would be his last year? Did the Pegulas really give him that ultimatum that we heard about? Did Rex never plan to finish out his 5-year contract in the first place?

Maybe Rex will be fired during or after this season, maybe not. Maybe we'll get another big name coach to replace him, maybe not. But if Anthony Lynn is named the next Head Coach, whether it's interim or long-term, we'll know that Rex was ready for all of this months ago.

So if this is true, wouldn't it imply that Rex had already checked out and moved on before the season even started?

Because unless he knew he was just "going through the motions" and really didn't have any clue how to solve the team's problems, how could he say this to Lynn?

I think that Rex and Roman probably weren't seeing eye to eye, and Rex anticipated some real struggles against a much tougher schedule than last year. He knew that if he and Roman couldn't fix some big problems fast, then they'd both be out the door. So I wouldn't guess that Rex just threw in the towel, but he was being realistic about his chances.

First time I saw this thread. Wow.

Not having Dareus losing Shaq and Ragland.....and that Sammy was hurt more then they let on.........I think Rex knew they were not making playoffs.

And Whaley probably did have an ultimatum bc Rex was not his hire.

@john_wawrow

Out of the blocks, Lynn comes out as odds on favorite to take over as permanent #Bills coach. GM Whaley's job considered safe.

@JohnMurphyShow

#Bills FB @jfelton45 on Anthony Lynn "He is demanding but he knows how to relate...he is just that right mix"

How can they give the job to Lynn? The guy had since Tuesday to revamp the Bills and failed miserably.