TNF: Panthers at Broncos - 8:30 PM ET on NBC

26CornerBlitz

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Super Bowl 50 Rematch?

When rugby's popularity rises to that of the NFL then they should consider adopting some rules. The barbaric nature of the NFL is a major part of its appeal, are we all supposed to deny that now that CTE and other findings have been revealed? That's why we have seen such gradual changes to affect player safety, they are trying to do so without totally transforming the game and thus losing its appeal. No one wants to watch rugby, no one wants to watch flag football.

There is not a scrap of evidence that football would be less popular if rugby-like tackling rules were implemented. There have been numerous changes in the rules over the past few years to make football less "barbaric" and dangerous and yet its popularity continues to increase. And your comment that "no one wants to watch rugby" is just ignorant.

Edited by mannc

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're just displaying your ignorance. There is not a scrap of evidence that football would be less popular if rugby-like tackling rules were implemented. There have been numerous changes in the rules over the past few years to make football less "barbaric" and dangerous and yet its popularity continues to increase. And your comment that "no one wants to watch rugby" is just ignorant.

Should we compare the rugby viewing numbers to that of the NFL's inside the U.S. market? I'm sure those numbers would be nearly impossible to find because rugby's market share is so minuscule.

All the rule changes have been about reducing head injuries and eliminated much of the "head hunting" that would routinely go on against defenseless receivers. I think most fans would say those changes are for the better of the game. When you start mandating tackling form and other such things it will not be as widely accepted.

Edited by Commonsense

Wow, what a horrible, horrible take in the context of this discussion. Why am I not surprised.

I posted that at 5am before I saw the shots he took in the pocket. Those are penalties and not what I was referring to. Running and lowering your shoulder and running guys over, you are going to take shots. That's my point. Cam and Tyrod take way too many hits. Cam actually seeks out contact. I don't feel bad for any plays where he is running and takes a hard hit. Hitting him in the pocket in the head is another thing all together

Should we compare the rugby viewing numbers to that of the NFL's inside the U.S. market? I'm sure those numbers would be nearly impossible to find because rugby's market share is so minuscule.

All the rule changes have been about reducing head injuries and eliminated much of the "head hunting" that would routinely go on against defenseless receivers. I think most fans would say those changes are for the better of the game. When you start mandating tackling form and other such things it will not be as widely accepted.

You didn't limit your comment to "the US market". Rugby is wildly popular in many parts of the world.

Good question. I can't recall it happening, but I'm pretty sure the refs have the authority to do so. It's another very good argument for the expansion of video replay. In the NBA (and I think in CFB, too) the refs can go to the video after a dirty play and mete out punishment based on what they see, since often the flagrant nature of the conduct can't be detected in real-time. No reason there should not be such video review in the NFL--just more proof that Goodell is an empty suit.

Good grief...I guess if ruining football if the goal.

Now we're going to have the refs stop the game every play to decide if someone got hit too hard and should be thrown out of the game?

I disagree. Cam lowered his head to protect himself from the blow. Other than run out of bounds, what was Cam supposed to do? Stand up straight and let Robey blast his ribs? Robey launched himself (making no effort to wrap his arms around the ball carrier) and delivered a blow to the side of Newton's helmet with the crown of his helmet. Aside from being dangerous and illegal, it was a very poor form tackle by Robey.

I agree that Robey's is a common hit in the league, but it shouldn't be. That being said, I think the Stewart hit merited an immediate ejection, but not this one. The problem could be solved by simply requiring the defender to at least attempt to wrap his arms around the ball-carrier.

Well he could slide; you know, that rule they put in years ago to protect QBs from taking shots. If instead he wants to try to run over guys, that's his choice, but he's going to get hit.

You didn't limit your comment to "the US market". Rugby is wildly popular in many parts of the world.

I wasn't trying to insult rugby or its fans, can we both agree that it would never become a main stream sport in the US after the exposure we have all had to the NFL? If football ever got so watered down due to safety precautions and legislation I think the viewing audience would turn to watching robots before it would a game like rugby. I used the term barbaric earlier because like it or not that's what captures our attention, look at the rise of MMA....

I wasn't trying to insult rugby or its fans, can we both agree that it would never become a main stream sport in the US after the exposure we have all had to the NFL? If football ever got so watered down due to safety precautions and legislation I think the viewing audience would turn to watching robots before it would a game like rugby. I used the term barbaric earlier because like it or not that's what captures our attention, look at the rise of MMA....

I agree that rugby isn't going to become a mainstream sport in the US as long as CFB and the NFL remain extremely popular. I don't think the reason rugby isn't as popular in the US has anything to do with how violent it is (or isn't); it's a cultural thing and also has a lot to do with the forward pass rules. Do you think football would be nearly as popular without the forward pass?

I agree that rugby isn't going to become a mainstream sport in the US as long as CFB and the NFL remain extremely popular. I don't think the reason rugby isn't as popular in the US has anything to do with how violent it is (or isn't); it's a cultural thing and also has a lot to do with the forward pass rules. Do you think football would be nearly as popular without the forward pass?

Of course not. The genie is out of the bottle though, everyone has fallen in love with the game the way it is. If contacted was drastically limited do you think football would maintain its stranglehold on the entertainment industry? It's a fine line and they are doing a good job walking it so far.

The appeal difference between football and rugby is in the aesthetics:

Football is played by men in snappy, colorful uniforms displaying graceful athleticism (one of the greatest WRs of all time was nicknamed "Bambi").

Rugby is played by a bunch of grunting pigs.

I will preface this with I am not a big Cam newton fan but what a beating he took last night. Couple shots to the head and many solid hits. The offensive coordinator and the O line coach could not get him a protection scheme that worked. Other teams will look at it as a template to stop him.

I will preface this with I am not a big Cam newton fan but what a beating he took last night. Couple shots to the head and many solid hits. The offensive coordinator and the O line coach could not get him a protection scheme that worked. Other teams will look at it as a template to stop him.

I found it really puzzling that the panthers didn't seem to do much to help him. They got away from keeping blockers in; and then even when they were up, they seemed to abandon the run.

I would have tried to go 2-TE and give Stewart the ball 30 times in that game, especially once they had the lead.

Of course not. The genie is out of the bottle though, everyone has fallen in love with the game the way it is. If contacted was drastically limited do you think football would maintain its stranglehold on the entertainment industry? It's a fine line and they are doing a good job walking it so far.

Fair enough. I just don't believe changing the tackling rule to require the tackler to wrap up would drastically change the game of football. I understand that it's a debatable point, though.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that safety Darian Stewart and linebacker Brandon Marshall both received fines for helmet-to-helmet hits on Newton.

Stewart was docked more than $18,000, while Marshall was fined more than $24,000