Drew Brees signs extension with Saints

YoloinOhio

Giving Brees the richest QB deal last time IMO was the Saints downfall. Thus would be a worse decision.

I'll say again and again that dead money from graham, gallette, browner, etc... Has been far worse. This deal is higher per year but lower percentage of the cap though, by comparison to his last. It's all about where guarantees fall in the discussion here.

I'll say again and again that dead money from graham, gallette, browner, etc... Has been far worse. This deal is higher per year but lower percentage of the cap though, by comparison to his last. It's all about where guarantees fall in the discussion here.

Brees' contract probably isn't in the top 5 biggest Saints mistakes. Graham, Gallete, Browner, Byrd, Spiller, Strief are all worse.

Brees' contract probably isn't in the top 5 biggest Saints mistakes. Graham, Gallete, Browner, Byrd, Spiller, Strief are all worse.

Yup - his deal is in line with good qbs. The saints just whiffed bad on a lot of big deals in a row right after and haven't been able to draft like they used to.

Giving Brees the richest QB deal last time IMO was the Saints downfall. Thus would be a worse decision.

Personally, I'd blame a historically bad defense over the qb of the 2nd best offense in the NFL. The Saints hand out out of a ton of money on defense. Their problem is bad drafting/ FA signings (Jarius!) & bad coaching.

Brees is a stud. It's almost illegal to hit Qbs hard and he gets rid of the ball so quick. He easily could play until he is 40. If we had a dome, I'd be willing to let plenty of guys walk to get him. And NFL deserve to get every penny hey can get while they can.

I am also seeking such a deal, but I'll undercut him by 50-99%.

You hit a wall at some point. The last year with Jimbo made me cringe. Marino the same. The pain will be released when Brady gets there.

Different league though. Kelly got he crap kicked out of him. Brees rarely takes big hits.

Different league though. Kelly got he crap kicked out of him. Brees rarely takes big hits.

In the end, Kelly's arm just disappeared. Hits? Age? I don't know, but he was obviously a bigger guy than Brees. In the end, the body quits on you. I am proof of that. You just don't see me sucking on TV.

In the end, Kelly's arm just disappeared. Hits? Age? I don't know, but he was obviously a bigger guy than Brees. In the end, the body quits on you. I am proof of that. You just don't see me sucking on TV.

Just a quick comparison but Brees has been sacked 331 times in 15 years. Kelly got sacked 323 times in 11 years. Plus, that doesn't include his USFL days. Obviously, there are other factors but I think Brees and Brady will be able to last longer than most Qbs.

That said, NO would be stupid not to draft a qb high next year.

Just a quick comparison but Brees has been sacked 331 times in 15 years. Kelly got sacked 323 times in 11 years. Plus, that doesn't include his USFL days. Obviously, there are other factors but I think Brees and Brady will be able to last longer than most Qbs.

That said, NO would be stupid not to draft a qb high next year.

That is a "sucky response" regarding Brady. Forgive my technical term.

The Saints will give him that deal and to be honest if they didn't some other team would justifiably so. Peyton Manning at age 36 got a pretty comparable deal and Manning was coming off of a season that he missed due to injury. Brees threw for 4800+ yards, 32 TD's to 11 INT's last year on 68% completion percentage. The Saints finished 7-9 the past couple of years because their defense is horrendous not because they tied too many resources into the QB position.

I suspect that Brees has a couple of good years left in the tank and the time to have traded him for a uber haul of picks would have been 2 years ago. So you have to hold onto such a premium player at such a premium position and try to win in a small window (Most windows in the league are only as good as the QB anyway).