Drew Brees signs extension with Saints

YoloinOhio

Personally, I'd blame a historically bad defense over the qb of the 2nd best offense in the NFL. The Saints hand out out of a ton of money on defense. Their problem is bad drafting/ FA signings (Jarius!) & bad coaching.

the dead money recently is horrendous. they one year had $33m in dead money. thats way worse than a qb getting paid $20m per.

2015 -- Loften for $5m, gallette $5.5m (and rolled another 12m in dead from him into 2016), grubbs $6m, Graham $9m

I am wondering when that becomes negotiation points for players wanting minor shares of franchises.

Sort of like options you can get at company at high levels.

Probably would be hard to do because they would see stock as a circumvention of the salary cap. But I suspect that QB's who collect many big contracts probably would buy into the team after they retire.

@caplanNFL

Brees extension helps, but Saints carrying over $27m in dead money: Galette-$12.1m, K. Lewis-$6.4m, J. Evans-$5.1m, Browner-$4.1m.

Saints have $9.2 million in dead money for two players cut by Seahawks last month.

posting at the same time... and last year was $30m+..... 2 year total in dead money was $60m.

then you roll in stuff like spiller/byrd getting big deals and playing very little. and of course all those guys that were cut were on big deals and not playing well the year or two prior....

and they havent been hitting homers in the draft.

drews deal gets all the attention, but if you dig deeper its not him.

Drew Brees will be primary owner of that team by the time he retires.

Was it the Timberwolves owner faced with a $100 million contract who said "I only paid $80 million for the team, how about YOU give ME $100 million"? I did enjoy that. :)

@JSiglerNFL

John Sigler Retweeted Adam Caplan

Old news now. #Saints have a hair over $5m in dead space next year. Negligible. So much for cap hell

@caplannfl

Adam Caplan Retweeted John Sigler

Over $35m in dead money this season, most in NFL. Mistakes in evals, restructures cost them. Nothing to be proud of.

If that number is accurate it's $68m in dead money over two seasons. People here cry about fitzs $10m over 2 years.