Sammy Watkins article by Tim Graham

eball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone read that article about how this kid grew up in a hell most of us could only imagine. Survived and got out. And then make this thread about how the writer is a jerk.

Because most likely almost all if not all posters on here have Internet, one or more connected devices, the time to post, are literate, mostly well educated to some degree and lead a privileged life... Some might recognize it some may not.

It's easy to accept it's the life someone elses life consisted of routine homicide, because that's no different than watching NCIS and seeing there.

I sincerely doubt there are many folks on here that actually understand what it's like to live in that world. And no, I don't. But, Like the woman on the DC news the other day that was admonishing gun violence during the day, because usually they wait until night after the little kids are home, I just can't fathom how lucky Sammy feels to have escaped that world.

Because most likely almost all if not all posters on here have Internet, one or more connected devices, the time to post, are literate, mostly well educated to some degree and lead a privileged life... Some might recognize it some may not.

It's easy to accept it's the life someone elses life consisted of routine homicide, because that's no different than watching NCIS and seeing there.

I sincerely doubt there are many folks on here that actually understand what it's like to live in that world. And no, I don't. But, Like the woman on the DC news the other day that was admonishing gun violence during the day, because usually they wait until night after the little kids are home, I just can't fathom how lucky Sammy feels to have escaped that world.

:beer:

I get your statement regarding how most of us live now, but that does not account for the conditions some grew up in.

I live in an area like that so maybe the story just doesn't phase me as much as it would someone else.

How can anyone read that article about how this kid grew up in a hell most of us could only imagine. Survived and got out. And then make this thread about how the writer is a jerk.

First world problems? Wait, I think I used that wrong...

But seriously, excellent article. TG is in mid-season form and many here soiled themselves because they got blocked on Twitter.

I live in an area like that so maybe the story just doesn't phase me as much as it would someone else.

Seriously you have kids routinely shot to death in front of your house?

I get your statement regarding how most of us live now, but that does not account for the conditions some grew up in.

Either applies, then and now for framing perspective. My post applied thoughts to the inquiry of how the thread devolved into grilling Thin Graham while overlooking the despair in some of these desolate war zone neighborhoods.

here was my takeaway posted on FB:

"amazing, inspirational story of Sammy Watkins, NFL wide receiver from Ft. Myers/Clemson, great WR for my Buffalo Bills. If you ever have a bad day, count your blessings for all the gifts you have received from above...after reading this story.

here is the best quote by Sammy, which is going above my home office desk:"

'I still have areas in my life I got to improve at. I can be a better dad. I can be a better son. I can be a better brother. I can be a better football player. I can still grow as a leader.

"But if I die today, I will be happy with the type of kid I am and was and the man I was becoming.'

and you guys ragging on about Timmah sound like people who got their Corn Flakes peed on ....

Seriously you have kids routinely shot to death in front of your house?

Either applies, then and now for framing perspective. My post applied thoughts to the inquiry of how the thread devolved into grilling Thin Graham while overlooking the despair in some of these desolate war zone neighborhoods.

Good perspective.

I enjoy his features like this very much. But he--and others at TBN--frequently act like children on Twitter. Just an amazing lack of professionalism.

I understand that you do not want to embarrass your employer but those writers are not employees when they tweet, even though a lot of them obviously use Twitter to get their stories linked and announce news. They are just individuals and usually will not be told what they can and cannot tweet. It's a weird fine line but understandable to me. I personally think Graham is funny when he gets all riled up. He toys with people that think he is being serious. He does have a thin skin sometimes but the vast majority of the time he is messing with people.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Actually, I think it's because the writer acts like a jerk

>>>>>"I know what it’s like to say, ‘I have no skill. I have no trade. I have no job,’ " Mike said. "I wanted to find blame for this. The cops need to be better. The teachers need to be better. The church needs to do more.

"No, it comes down to you."<<<<<

The above is a quote from his step father, and the best part of a very good article.

I didn't live in one, but I worked in the worst neighborhoods in NYC (when NYC had 2,000 homicides per year (give or take 100 or so). I also spent 4 year walking on a street that the FBI called the worst block in the United States. I think that many would be surprised at how many ghetto residents agree 100,000% with the above quote.

Few want to believe me, but I am telling you that most riots are sparked and staffed by outside agitators. Yes, and paid demonstrators. I have met them. And if Sammy wants to back Kaepernick about the National Anthem I think he is wrong, but so be it.

Now, the pigs on Kaepernick's sox with police uniforms? I think Sammy is making a grave error if he backs this sort of behavior. police are one of the reasons he is alive. A simple thank you would be fine.

To alienate veterans, patriotic citizens and police officers is a dumb move. Most people who take the "public be damned approach usually lose.

Jmo.