Practice Squad: When? & Who?

CSBill

The New England Patriots stashed the top running back selected in the 2014 draft on their practice squad.

The Pats signed Bishop Sankey to their practice squad Sunday after the tailback cleared waivers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Sankey was cut by the Tennessee Titans over the weekend after two lackluster seasons. The 23-year-old back earned 762 yards rushing on 199 carries (3.8 yards per tote) and 272 receiving yards on 32 receptions.

With Dion Lewis starting the season on PUP, the shifty Sankey could be insurance for the Pats down the line if he progresses on the practice squad. New England's initial 53-man roster included LeGarrette Blount, James White, Brandon Bolden, D.J. Foster and James Develin at the running back spot.

Each NFL team is allowed to carry 10 practice squad members.

Other notable practice squad signings from Sunday (You can check out the full list here):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000695246/article/practice-squad-roundup-patriots-add-bishop-sankey

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000695231/article/practice-squad-tracker

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Karlos Williams PS eligible?

I've turned the page on the guy, personally. But it looks to me like everyone's set their 53 without him in their plans. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back on the PS to see if he can turn his life around from there (if he is eligible).

SeeMore already took his number!

Is Karlos Williams PS eligible?

I've turned the page on the guy, personally. But it looks to me like everyone's set their 53 without him in their plans. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back on the PS to see if he can turn his life around from there (if he is eligible).

Interested in this answer. Seems like he could. But methinks Bills have likely locked the door behind him

A bit of a queer move, adding Gay to the PS.

Ha!

Gay to practice squad likely has to be to save Carpenters leg in practice while they work on KR team.

For sure. But they could sign any one of a number of kickers for this. Keeping a guy who can't kick FGs seems strange. But then again, there's this...

NFL is re-examining rule after wk 4 so may be good place to have if they decide to change rule back.

Really the only reason I can think to keep Gay on the PS. Plus, let's face it, the PS is pretty fluid and guys come on, and drop off, throughout the year. So it really isn't that big of a deal.

So it seems like so far it is Gabe Ikard, Dez Lewis, Jordan Gay, and Matt Hazel. I wonder what is taking so long?

That's why I checked this thread. It seems to me the Bills are usually aggressive, and put their PS together pretty quickly. But they haven't announced Ikard or Hazel ("Hey, your mother's uglier than Hazel!") yet, so perhaps they have actually made more agreements than we are aware of, at the moment.

One might counter with the argument such as: "Deep talented teams are less likely to attract these free agents to their PS, as there isn't much of a chance of them being called up. So perhaps this is a sign the Bills are deeper in talent than they have been in the past." But c'mon, we know that's not true.