Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Can anyone verify that this didn't happen to any white individuals, or individuals of any other race?

It's happened to me before when I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How does Michael Bennett know what the "white experience" is in these situations? He doesn't. He's making assumptions from a place of bias.

The truth is that police have an authoritarian bent in general, and are given a ton of leeway in this regard (whether right or wrong, or whether or not one agrees that they should have this leeway), and they use it. It's not about black or white, it's about the exercise of the authority of their office.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I guess I should have put this here. Maybe this is why Kaep and Bennett sit.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/905431283815374848

It's also why Jim Brown goes right into the heart of the problem - the gangs. As long as the gangs perpetuate the disproportionate share of gun-related crimes, the police will continue to profile along the color lines.

Yep. Back to the actual issue.

DJC8a-ZW4AEES11.jpg

@AdamSchefter

Michael Bennett has retained civil rights attorney John Burris after being assaulted by police in Las Vegas.... http://fb.me/1I4Jewi6v

The only part of that statement that bothers me is the implication that his experience somehow justifies the idea that Trayvon Martin/Michael Brown are innocent bystanders of unjustified brutality. It makes it more difficult for me to take the rest of his statement at face value.

Can anyone verify that this didn't happen to any white individuals, or individuals of any other race?

It's happened to me before when I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How does Michael Bennett know what the "white experience" is in these situations? He doesn't. He's making assumptions from a place of bias.

The truth is that police have an authoritarian bent in general, and are given a ton of leeway in this regard (whether right or wrong, or whether or not one agrees that they should have this leeway), and they use it. It's not about black or white, it's about the exercise of the authority of their office.

Police chased you down, jammed a gun in the back of your head and yelled they were going to blow your brains out for something you had zero to do with?

Liar.

Police chased you down, jammed a gun in the back of your head and yelled they were going to blow your brains out for something you had zero to do with?

Liar.

What's the matter, Kelly? Doesn't fit your narrative so it must be a lie?

I was in the parking lot of a bar following an active shooter situation in Tempe, AZ. Several friends and I were forced to the ground at gun point, cuffed, and detained face down on the pavement for about 45 minutes. Told not to move or we'd be shot.

You know what's funny though? If you had a cop friend who told you he enjoyed doing that sort of thing to black folks for a good time, you wouldn't lift a finger to put an end to it.

I was in the parking lot of a bar following an active shooter situation in Tempe, AZ. Several friends and I were forced to the ground at gun point, cuffed, and detained face down on the pavement for about 45 minutes. Told not to move or we'd be shot.

You know what's funny though? If you had a cop friend who told you he enjoyed doing that sort of thing to black folks for a good time, you wouldn't lift a finger to put an end to it.

That's not true. Kelly would call him an !@#$ when they went on joint family trips to Disney.

Yeah, right. I believe that.

Yeah, right. I believe that.

Honestly, Kelly, it's people like you who are everything wrong with this country.

You won't lift a finger to confront real racists doing real harm to real people in your own life, and when someone with a different perspective from you offers it, you call them a liar.

Stop being the problem.

Honestly, Kelly, it's people like you who are everything wrong with this country.

You won't lift a finger to confront real racists doing real harm to real people in your own life, and when someone with a different perspective from you offers it, you call them a liar.

Stop being the problem.

dude. He hashtagged in a post about Charlottesville, so !@#$ off!

Liar.

There's a very subtle catch-22 implicit your statement: cops detained someone for an event that person had nothing to do with...but couldn't know that person had nothing to do with it until after they detained him.

Level of force required/used aside, when there's an a priori assumption of both omniscience and ill-will on the part of the police that that catch-22 implies, the entire subject becomes impossible to discuss.

Stop being the problem.

Right. I'm everything wrong with this country. I took care of a little black kid several times a week for six straight years in Tempe. Was supposed to be an hour once a week with a one year commitment. It was more than 10-12 a week for six years. My mother founded and ran the most successful court ordered racially mixed school in the Buffalo School system history so I was brought up my entire life in that arena. So fukk off.

Right. I'm everything wrong with this country. I took care of a little black kid several times a week for six straight years in Tempe. Was supposed to be an hour once a week with a one year commitment. It was more than 10-12 a week for six years. My mother founded and ran the most successful court ordered racially mixed school in the Buffalo School system history so I was brought up my entire life in that arena. So fukk off.

Well...given that "separate but equal" and the rejection of integration are the new civil rights mantras, you clearly are part of the problem.

Sarcasm aside...ever think about that? People - minorities - want racially pure schools now, and consider court-ordered racial mixing anathema. In some circles, your experience is a mark against you. That's...rather surreal, I think.

So this is where you claim moral credit for a court order which your mother worked under when you were a kid?

Strong case you make there.

Did you tell the "black kid" how you protected your racist friend who was actively doing work in government to do harm to black people because they were black?

I'll note you were unable to respond to the charge of calling me a liar based on nothing more than your own feelings, likely stemming from your being called to the carpet over your incredible hypocrisy.

Yes, Kelly. You're the problem.

Well...given that "separate but equal" and the rejection of integration are the new civil rights mantras, you clearly are part of the problem.

Sarcasm aside...ever think about that? People - minorities - want racially pure schools now, and consider court-ordered racial mixing anathema. In some circles, your experience is a mark against you. That's...rather surreal, I think.

The school was, and is still amazing. The Bennett Park Montessori School. She retired a long time ago but she founded it and was its principal for a couple decades. It still has a waiting list to get in. It was one of the very first public Montessori schools in the country, and it was the largest in the country, starting after the courts ordered integration in the 70s and then the Buffalo school system decided to make the Magnet Schools 50% minority and 50% white instead of busing white kids to the inner city regular public schools. Hers was an enormous success.

So this is where you claim moral credit for a court order which your mother worked under when you were a kid?

Strong case you make there.

Did you tell the "black kid" how you protected your racist friend who was actively doing work in government to do harm to black people because they were black?

I'll note you were unable to respond to the charge of calling me a liar based on nothing more than your own feelings, likely stemming from your being called to the carpet over your incredible hypocrisy.

Yes, Kelly. You're the problem.

How am I going to respond to the charge I said you were a liar? You say one thing and I say another. I don't believe you. You're a self-righteous, blathering dick.

I actually did something for the black community. As has my family. He and I still talk and are friends 20 years later (and I posted a pick of him about a month ago here with Tyrod Taylor who was helping him with his little league football team he was coaching over the summer, and he was thanking me because I got him involved in little league football when he was seven years old.) So, again, please fukk off.

What your mother did has no bearing on you, homie.

Stop taking credit for other's achievements.