This woman is a scumbag, and rightly should burn in hell.

Not only that, you have to replace the things every year because they only have a 1 year shelf life. Makes me wonder if that's legit, but who wants to take the chance? At the very least the company can offer a rebate for turning in expired epi-pens so they can recycle them. Might bring the cost down, too.

They are considered "medical sharps" and must be incinerated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year or two some outrageous medical cost story happens in the US, we all fire up the keyboards and type out whatever opinions, and in the end nothing changes.

Not sure why this is any different. Feel free to blame whatever 'side' of the aisle, the real blame lies in our system of lobbying and corruption, which is a bipartisan issue.

I promise you all, we are working on it. In fact, part of every single day of my life, for the last 10 years, is devoted to this. Now, part of most days of my life are also devoted to consuming large quantities of alcohol. So, that dispels any virtue projection on my part. I'm no crusader. It simply comes down to the fact that I have ability in this area. I can do something about this. But, it's never going to be solved by me alone. For that, we need a properly managed, incremental culture change, and that, along with hyper-granular integration, are the 2 chief elements in my design paradigm.

How does one go about creating accountability, and cost sensitivity, in a culture that is used to hiding medical supplies in the false ceilings on Friday...so that they will have enough to work with over the weekend, because the bosses are the only ones who can open the materials lockers, and they don't work the weekends?

EDIT: Do you want to know in how many states, not facilities, I've heard that same story?

How does one answer the age-old question of the the pharma exec: "when we put out $200 million each on 5 drugs, but only one passes trials/works, don't we have to make $1 bil on that drug...just to break even?" And the inevitable follow-ups: "Are the AIDS patients in Africa going to come up with the $200 million for each new AIDS drug we try? No. The profits from the last AIDS drug go to fund the next one. If we lose on all of them, who bails us out? The government bails out banks for bad behavior, we save lives, and we don't get bailed out. ", and, of course, the king: "I bet your sorry ass isn't complaining when we develop a new thyroid treatment for your mom, that cost us $300 million, but only costs you $25 per 30 pills".

See? This is a complex, and most definitely a cultural problem. It will never be solved by accountants, lawyers, politicians, Wall street people, Ph. Ds, RNs, Doctors, pharma reps or anybody else. That is because everyone is to blame, yet, no one is. Everyone's bad behavior reaction to everyone else's bad behavior, has created a giant circle of BS, and no shortage of government-funded clowns to make book on it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I promise you all, we are working on it. In fact, part of every single day of my life, for the last 10 years, is devoted to this. Now, part of most days of my life are also devoted to consuming large quantities of alcohol. So, that dispels any virtue projection on my part. I'm no crusader. It simply comes down to the fact that I have ability in this area. I can do something about this. But, it's never going to be solved by me alone. For that, we need a properly managed, incremental culture change, and that, along with hyper-granular integration, are the 2 chief elements in my design paradigm.

How does one go about creating accountability, and cost sensitivity, in a culture that is used to hiding medical supplies in the false ceilings on Friday...so that they will have enough to work with over the weekend, because the bosses are the only ones who can open the materials lockers, and they don't work the weekends?

EDIT: Do you want to know in how many states, not facilities, I've heard that same story?

How does one answer the age-old question of the the pharma exec: "when we put out $200 million each on 5 drugs, but only one passes trials/works, don't we have to make $1 bil on that drug...just to break even?" And the inevitable follow-ups: "Are the AIDS patients in Africa going to come up with the $200 million for each new AIDS drug we try? No. The profits from the last AIDS drug go to fund the next one. If we lose on all of them, who bails us out? The government bails out banks for bad behavior, we save lives, and we don't get bailed out. ", and, of course, the king: "I bet your sorry ass isn't complaining when we develop a new thyroid treatment for your mom, that cost us $300 million, but only costs you $25 per 30 pills".

See? This is a complex, and most definitely a cultural problem. It will never be solved by accountants, lawyers, politicians, Wall street people, Ph. Ds, RNs, Doctors, pharma reps or anybody else. That is because everyone is to blame, yet, no one is. Everyone's bad behavior reaction to everyone else's bad behavior, has created a giant circle of BS, and no shortage of government-funded clowns to make book on it.

The truth hurts?

The US contributes more free medical patents for international use than every country in the world combined, times 4. It's because of the money.

The truth hurts?

The US contributes more free medical patents for international use than every country in the world combined, times 4. It's because of the money.

Let me see if I've got this right. 8 figure income CEOs price gouge American consumers for the common good. Is that right?

WALL STREET JOURNAL: Anaphylactic Political Shock: Sorry, Hillary. The feds are to blame for Mylan’s EpiPen monopoly.

EpiPen should be open to generic competition, which cuts prices dramatically for most other old medicines.
Competitors have been trying for years to challenge Mylan’s EpiPen franchise with low-cost alternatives—only to become entangled in the Food and Drug Administration’s regulatory afflatus

Approving a generic copy that is biologically equivalent to a branded drug is simple, but the FDA maintains no clear and consistent principles for generic drug-delivery devices like auto injectors or asthma inhalers. How does a company prove that a generic device is the same as the original product if there are notional differences, even if the differences don’t matter to the end result? In this case, that means immediately injecting a kid in anaphylactic shock with epinephrine—which is not complex medical engineering.

But no company has been able to do so to the FDA’s satisfaction. Last year Sanofi withdrew an EpiPen rival called Auvi-Q that was introduced in 2013, after merely 26 cases in which the device malfunctioned and delivered an inaccurate dose. Though the recall was voluntary and the FDA process is not transparent, such extraordinary actions are never done without agency involvement. This suggests a regulatory motive other than patient safety.

Then in February the FDA rejected Teva’s generic EpiPen application. In June the FDA required a San Diego-based company called Adamis to expand patient trials and reliability studies for still another auto-injector rival.

Mrs. Clinton claims the EpiPen price hikes show the need for price controls, and she says she’ll require drug makers to “prove that any additional costs are linked to additional patient benefits and better value.” Somebody in Congress should require the FDA to justify how its delays are advancing the same goals.

Requiring bureaucrats to justify their actions is anathema.

Edited by B-Man

Mrs. Clinton claims the EpiPen price hikes show the need for price controls, and she says she’ll require drug makers to “prove that any additional costs are linked to additional patient benefits and better value.” Somebody in Congress should require the FDA to justify how its delays are advancing the same goals.

Seriously? "You can't raise prices unless it benefits the consumer?" Never mind how completely unrealistic that is (since manufactures have costs that are completely out of their control)...didn't we just try something similar with insurers in the ACA exchanges? How's that working out?

Seriously? "You can't raise prices unless it benefits the consumer?" Never mind how completely unrealistic that is (since manufactures have costs that are completely out of their control)...didn't we just try something similar with insurers in the ACA exchanges? How's that working out?

Imagine that criteria in other industries.

We would still be paying $0.05 for hamburgers.

WALL STREET JOURNAL: Anaphylactic Political Shock: Sorry, Hillary. The feds are to blame for Mylan’s EpiPen monopoly.

EpiPen should be open to generic competition, which cuts prices dramatically for most other old medicines.
Competitors have been trying for years to challenge Mylan’s EpiPen franchise with low-cost alternatives—only to become entangled in the Food and Drug Administration’s regulatory afflatus

Approving a generic copy that is biologically equivalent to a branded drug is simple, but the FDA maintains no clear and consistent principles for generic drug-delivery devices like auto injectors or asthma inhalers. How does a company prove that a generic device is the same as the original product if there are notional differences, even if the differences don’t matter to the end result? In this case, that means immediately injecting a kid in anaphylactic shock with epinephrine—which is not complex medical engineering.

But no company has been able to do so to the FDA’s satisfaction. Last year Sanofi withdrew an EpiPen rival called Auvi-Q that was introduced in 2013, after merely 26 cases in which the device malfunctioned and delivered an inaccurate dose. Though the recall was voluntary and the FDA process is not transparent, such extraordinary actions are never done without agency involvement. This suggests a regulatory motive other than patient safety.

Then in February the FDA rejected Teva’s generic EpiPen application. In June the FDA required a San Diego-based company called Adamis to expand patient trials and reliability studies for still another auto-injector rival.

Requiring bureaucrats to justify their actions is anathema.

This is all true, and this more than anything is at the core of what is wrong with this situation. Another example, TPS, that regulations can stifle progress. However, it still doesn't take away the fact that the company is taking advantage of this by gouging consumers in an ugly way.

Young kids say they dont need health insurance, they are healthy right?

Maybe this will get the 25 year old hipster w/tree nut allergy to start paying into system early? Find a place to work

To keep two pens on hand for a year=about $2.00 a day.

"Hey little Johhny! You want me to really fire that pen? How 'bout I take you to that new organic vegan place down the street and we see Star Wars after?"

Modern spin on my Old Man saying:

"You're bleeding and wanna get stitches... Well back in The War, we stitched ourselves..."

/sarcasm