Is Cyrus Kouandjio Still a Bust?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: The best example to me is Revis in his prime. Basically, he took away your number 1. Teams had to plan accordingly.

he was one of the rare ones that countered stars. the value in a sammy is that if you have to double him, suddenly you are playing 10 vs 9 (and you still will sometimes win that 1 vs 2 matchup).... revis managed to be able to make it 10-10 again and still almost always won that 1-1 still. being able to take out a guy that the offensive game plan revolves around with a 1-1 matchup is a major game changer.

its all about guys that force you to shift that numbers game and force fewer guys to be accountable for more duties (or on defense allow you to commit more guys to solving a different problem because they handle something tough on their own like locking down a star or getting to the qb)

Edited by NoSaint

I've read the Thaler and Massey study. It is an interesting read but essentially it is a study into how market efficiency effects the NFL draft.

What it does not, at any stage, seek to answer is whether having a market efficient approach to the draft where you maximise what the market tells you is value is condusive to building a winning football team.

Essentially if I follow the logic presented in their model to its natural conclusion it tells me that having 2 guys who are long term starters in the league is more efficient than having one guy even if that guy is one of the few that makes some pro-bowls.

The point is (and it is a BADOL point really) the star players at the premium positions are almost never readily available through other methods. They normally come from the first round of the draft. So when faced with a choice of one star elite talent at a premium position vs two long term good NFL starters I will take the former because it is probably my only means of acquiring them. I can acquire the latter more readily through free agency and the later rounds of the draft.

Edited by GunnerBill

If they are grading him lower than Fernando Velasco they are simply wrong.

PFF have (or at least did have) a tiered grading system, don't they? 0 for a neutral play, up to -2 for a brutal play. Cyrus has had a few brutal ones, especially against Olivier Vernon.

Velasco's technique has been worse but PFF don't grade technique, more end result. If they graded technique, Jordan Mills would be minus infinity.

Edited by Blokestradamus

PFF have (or at least did have) a tiered grading system, don't they? 0 for a neutral play, up to -2 for a brutal play. Cyrus has had a few brutal ones, especially against Olivier Vernon.

Velasco's technique has been worse but PFF don't grade technique, more end result. If they graded technique, Jordan Mills would be minus infinity.

Haha. I am going to find your address and send you a framed Jordan Mills picture. Your love for him knows no ends Blokes..... Edited by GunnerBill

Haha. You staying awake tonight Blokes? I'm gonna try and make it at least until the starters are pulled but I am at a wedding all day tomorrow and I fear I might suffer.

Yeah, I'll be up. Might be doing some in-game coverage for Bills Wire so I'll tough it out. First time this preseason I can actually sleep in the morning after. It'll be bliss.

Yea well, watch the highlights of that 2014 Raiders game I posted earlier to how "air" Henderson did against Mack. It was brutal and a big reason why he graded worse than the worse RG in the league in Erik Pears @ -25.

Hmmm, -2 for one brutal play...

I'm not trying to be some Henderson truther or anything. All our RT options suck in equal measure.

Yea well, watch the highlights of that 2014 Raiders game I posted earlier to how "air" Henderson did against Mack. It was brutal and a big reason why he graded worse than the worse RG in the league in Erik Pears @ -25.

Hmmm, -2 for one brutal play...

So a rookie with Crohn's compares to a 4-year veteran that is presumably healthy?

Khalil Mack has made a lot of tackles look bad; he's a great player.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into PFF grades; they are often loud wrong and have even occasioned to totally contradict themselves.

I'm not trying to be some Henderson truther or anything. All our RT options suck in equal measure.

Yeah man, I agree. What does it say about the RT situation that the starter was signed midseason away from the Lions practice squad!

Still, Mills is better than the rest and it's why I worry about the young QB this year.

• 3 weeks later...