Giants vs. Bills Postgame

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With apologies to the incomparable Bill in NYC, here's some thoughts:

1. I watched a full preseason game! I never do that. OK, I cheated a little -- I DVR'd it an started watching about an hour into the game, fast forwarding through commercials, etc. But it was actually kind of fun to watch. Blowouts in your team's favor are entertaining in a different kind of way.

2. The O line was pretty rough, but that was to be expected. LeSean couldn't find any room to run, but he made up for it by getting open in the passing game and making a very nice TD catch. J Williams is more of a grinder than K Williams, but he was effective.

3. Ryan Nassib is truly awful. The Giants offense overall was terrible, but Nassib is perhaps the worst QB in the NFL. He has not progressed one bit since being drafted. We dodged a bullet by passing on him in the draft.

4. Which brings me to EJ, who actually looked pretty good to me. I do think his "misses" were likely more on the inexperienced receivers. He threw 2 TD passes to Little, although the refs only counted one. That TD/possession rule is still idiotic. EJ seemed to find a little rhythm, playing a little more instinctively rather than overthinking things. Some year (not this one, not as a Bill) he may just have a nice little run in him yet ...

5. The front 7 was impressive, particularly since 5 projected regular rotation guys (Kyle, Dareus, the Lawsons, Ragland) are out. Rodak had a rare insightful comment after the Colts game - the depth looks impressive, maybe allowing Rex to do something like Schwartz's rotation thing. Adolphus is more athletic than I thought. Worthy was disruptive all the time. Spikes even made a play on Nassib (well, who didn't) on a 3rd and long, not his normal situation. Albright is kind of a poor man's Kiko, hair and all. Rex will find a role for him. And of course losing Mario is addition by subtraction. I am weirdly optimistic that the D will be much improved despite the losses.

6. As for the WR competition: Goodwin did look good. He can have an impact if he stays on the field. For the last spot I like Dezmin just because of the height, although Little showed something too. Powell has quickness but to me he looks like one of those guys who excels in preseason but never really finds a role in the regular season.

7. Felton showed us why he doesn't get the ball. Reggie Bush just looks done to me - he got open on one sideline route but caught it out of bounds, but he showed no quickness in the return game. I have no problem with cutting Karlos (I thought he was one concussion away from being done anyway), but I'm afraid losing that type of RB will really hurt. 11 TDs is 11 TDs ...

I thought EJ had a great game. Nassib, by contrast... Ugh. He looked horrendous; don't get how the Giants could be comfy with him as the backup

Despite my London nightmares, I think EJ can be a fine backup. He just has to remove any panic between his ears.

I never understood why teams didn't always put their speed rushers on the left side of the defense against the usually bigger and slower and less athletic RT.

Yeah, why didn't Rex put Hughes on the left side?

Despite my London nightmares, I think EJ can be a fine backup. He just has to remove any panic between his ears.

JJ is still in there. Not for nothing but I like how they are showcasing every TT and CJ throw on NFL/BB.com but haven't put up EJ's. New shiny thing + contract and up-and-comer vs EJ in london is likely the reason.

I'm making the comment because i didn't see the game (on an 11 hour trip that should have taken 8, YAY KIDS) and would like to see all of his bad throws as well as the others.

Edited by The Wiz

I missed the game... How'd the backup DTs look? How'd our RB depth look? How's our LB corps looking? Is EJ still the single most worstest QB in all the land? Did we fire Rex?

This guy usually will hook you up with complete, commercial free tape of the last game the Bills have played. He says the game is "coming soon", so, perhaps tomorrow?

@SalSports

Here are my Arrows Up and Down from the Bills/Giants game: http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-Bills-Giants-Arrow-Up-Arrow-Down/22850240

Good stuff!

I've been rooting for Kujo since the end of last offseason, when it was clear that he was fully committed to improving his play. Compare his offseason work ethic to K Williams!

Regarding Gay, I made the assumption that in giving Gay field goal duties, and Carpenter kickoff duties, they are looking to see which one can do the other's job, and which one to cut. Arrow up for Carpenter, perhaps? His kickoff was admirable, and Gay is gone.

Little's reception that wasn't a reception: What the hell??? Little took four steps with both hands around the ball with the defender hanging off of it, and then dropped it on his way to the ground out the other side of the end zone. Four steps! How is that not considered a catch?

Edited by Rocky Landing

Hughes is right up there with my favorite players. He works his ass off every play. He's made himself better. He was thought of as not strong against the run only because he was a speed rusher but played excellent against the run. He runs plays down from the other side all the time.

He doesn't complain publicly. Even when he had his troubles with Marrone he wasn't a dick about it or take it to the press. When asked to go into coverage last year he just did his job and was good, not bitching like Mario.

Last year, along with Gilmore and Darby he was our best defensive player. When he could have gone to FA he signed here for less. And then, almost more importantly, he tried just as hard if not harder. He's a great interview and role model.

Favorite part of Rex's postgame press conference:

Q: Rex, Jerry Hughes looked like he was having some success out there. What did you think of his day?

A: Well, you know, I’m sure he’d do better in just a standard 4-3 defense.

Good stuff

Regarding Gay, I made the assumption that in giving Gay field goal duties, and Carpenter kickoff duties, they are looking to see which one can do the other's job, and which one to cut. Arrow up for Carpenter, perhaps? His kickoff was admirable, and Gay is gone

Concur with your thoughts on Gay. I think he gets cut and they use the roster spot for another need. I think the question is who they use the roster spot for. Do you carry an extra WR, LB, DB...?