Jason Cole report on Doug Whaley

YoloinOhio

Whaley is responsible for the roster and we haven't sniffed the playoffs since he's been here. I like him but he is not the God some people on this board make him out to be. I don't think he gets fired if we miss the playoffs again but I don't think it would be uncalled for. At some point you have to stand by your record, and so far, Whaley is failing in that department.

6-10, 9-7, 8-8 as GM. The last two years have been "sniffable." It's far too soon to pull the plug on Whaley. In my opinion it's not unreasonable to give him two more seasons (this and next) to get them into the playoffs.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God almighty. The best roster we've had in 16 years and we're to believe everything needs to be blown up?

- Every team deals with injuries

- People are concentrating too much on players we are losing and not focusing on players actually on the field

At this point and time we are ok.....our offense isnt looking great in practice cuz our starting LT and LG are out

We also had Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, and Thad Lewis in 2013. Not saying they were all great moves, obviously, but I don't think the Bills intention was really ever to sit on Tuel as the backup. (And hell, their intention was to have Kolb start before he went down, over EJ)

This really puts an exclamation point on my whole unprepared argument.

This really puts an exclamation point on my whole unprepared argument.

How so?

I forgot to add Leinart too... so for 2013 they brought in a total of 6 QBs. I'm not sure who else was available back then, but are any of the QBs that were available to us currently starting and/or dominating?

God almighty. The best roster we've had in 16 years and we're to believe everything needs to be blown up?

I don't really know how to differentiate this roster than several others over the past 16 years. It seems like much of the same to me. No one is saying everything needs to be blown up. If we miss the playoffs, I'd prefer to see a new GM with a new approach, but realistically unless it's a total tank-fest I'd expect to see Rex and Whaley stay.

Source?

Really? Do you not remember 2010-2013? It was only a short time ago.

We have pages on pages of threads with everyone conceding Kolb cannot stay healthy. It was the only notable fact of his career. But he was the "plan" to play QB? That's a stupid plan.

Edited by FireChan

How so?

I forgot to add Leinart too... so for 2013 they brought in a total of 6 QBs. I'm not sure who else was available back then, but are any of the QBs that were available to us currently starting and/or dominating?

I'm actually surprised to see someone defend the way we handled the 2013 QB situation, but I'll play along...

We had no plan after Kolb went down. We just kept EJ and Tuel. We picked Thad off the street and threw him into a couple games as well. Everything was very reactionary. We did not setup proper veteran support at the position, which ultimately hurt the development of our 1st round QB.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

- Every team deals with injuries

- People are concentrating too much on players we are losing and not focusing on players actually on the field

At this point and time we are ok.....our offense isnt looking great in practice cuz our starting LT and LG are out

When you go into week 17 and you are already out of it, that is not a sniff. Neither is going into week 16 and needing a handful of things to go your way as well as winning out. Sorry but at no point during this streak have we sniffed the playoffs except for 2004.

Really? Do you not remember 2010-2013? It was only a short time ago.

We have pages on pages of threads with everyone conceding Kolb cannot stay healthy. It was the only notable fact of his career. But he was the "plan" to play QB? That's a stupid plan.

Honestly, no, I don't have a clear memory of it. I thought the opinions on him were pretty mixed.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Lots of overreaction in this thread. Unless the wheels completely fall off, Rex and Whaley will both be back.

Pegula is not a quick trigger on firing folks.

I don't see them going anywhere unless they are 6-10 or worse. Even then I think it's a question mark.

Lots of overreaction in this thread. Unless the wheels completely fall off, Rex and Whaley will both be back.

Pegula is not a quick trigger on firing folks.

I genuinely feel like no one (okay...maybe Coach Tuesday) has overreacted at all. It seems pretty obvious the plan is to stick with Whaley and co. and some of us are sort of coming around to why that might not be the best idea.

I'm actually surprised to see someone defend the way we handled the 2013 QB situation, but I'll play along...

We had no plan after Kolb went down. We just kept EJ and Tuel. We picked Thad off the street and threw him into a couple games as well. Everything was very reactionary. We did not setup proper veteran support at the position, which ultimately hurt the development of our 1st round QB.

Not necessarily defending, but at the same time, I don't really remember us having a wide range of options at the time. In fact my biggest issue with 2013 QB handling was the lack of a QB coach, and a rookie OC, to 'develop' a very raw 1st round talent. I thought Thad was traded for?

I am going to say that I agree the QB position was handled very reactionary

however

Whaley was a very young GM at the time....just coming into the job. Is there something to be said for learning from past mistakes?

Because I think your handling of the Ragland injury was handled very well.....he not only brought in a player that gives you what we expected from Ragland....and followed it up with another veteran LB as well.