Brandon Spikes signs with Bills

Well now he can get his # back...

@mikerodak

Bills have waived/injured LB Kevin Reddick and released CB Javier Arenas and WR Gary Chambers. es.pn/2aDCTEB

@billsequipment

New player jersey numbers

Brandon Spikes 51

David Hawthorne 56

Jimmay Mundine 87

Go #Bills

Happy about this especially with # change, My Spikes 51 hat is back in style!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When talking about stopping runs between the tackles, he's your guy. Anything else you're hosed.

Aka he better not get caught out there in a coverage situation

not true.

Agreed :thumbsup: I believe having him back on the field will help this defense imo.

Honestly, Bills just improved. Because of his instincts, his game knowledge, his passion, his enthusiasm, and yes his newfound wisdom, he is probably and upgrade to first year rookie Ragaland. Yes i believe that. just watched his post practice interview.

This Man is going to give it his all for the Bills. When he said he probably never should have left, and his clear eyes tell me he is home.

He and Ed Reed are going to hit it off wonderfully.

Let Rags apprentice under him and let Brown continue his apprenticeship.

Let reginald heal proper while learning from the ThumpMasterB

I am a bit surprised at myself and my newfound enthusiasm for this defense. No lie. But i feel the energy coming

Never wanted him to leave in the first place, but his life has turned and now he might be at his peak as the MIKE !!

Bear in mind i did NOT like him before Buffalo. Respected as a nasty f'r but that was my only thought of him.

People can change

Go Bills !

Very glad to hear the he used his time out from the league to improve himself as a person and get in great shape. Looks like he lived in the gym. Reminds me of a certain LG when he came back to the Bills. Hoping for another successful turnaround. Pegulas seem like supportive people who are ok with taking on risks. Fingers crossed for Karlos as well that he gets it together.

Edited by YoloinOhio

not true.

Honestly, Bills just improved. Because of his instincts, his game knowledge, his passion, his enthusiasm, and yes his newfound wisdom, he is probably and upgrade to first year rookie Ragaland. Yes i believe that. just watched his post practice interview.

This Man is going to give it his all for the Bills. When he said he probably never should have left, and his clear eyes tell me he is home.

He and Ed Reed are going to hit it off wonderfully.

Let Rags apprentice under him and let Brown continue his apprenticeship.

Let reginald heal proper while learning from the ThumpMasterB

I am a bit surprised at myself and my newfound enthusiasm for this defense. No lie. But i feel the energy coming

Never wanted him to leave in the first place, but his life has turned and now he might be at his peak as the MIKE !!

Bear in mind i did NOT like him before Buffalo. Respected as a nasty f'r but that was my only thought of him.

People can change

Go Bills !

I think a fully healthy Ragland would have been better than Spikes since Ragland would be better on third down. But Spikes if healthy and able to grasp the system of Rex Spikes should be as good if not better than Ragland on the first two downs. A good move to make in the wake of an injury. They also have Zack Brown to be a capable third down coverage LB.

I think a fully healthy Ragland would have been better than Spikes since Ragland would be better on third down. But Spikes if healthy and able to grasp the system of Rex Spikes should be as good if not better than Ragland on the first two downs. A good move to make in the wake of an injury. They also have Zack Brown to be a capable third down coverage LB.

I think Z Brown was brought in specifically for that reason, and he can hit hard too. Ryan suggested some liability with Spikes in his press meeting. Calling him true Mike LB. Love it.

Because i am Huge fan of Ragland I do not want you to think i do not wish he was on the field.

But for me Brown Brown Ragland and Spikes will be the best ILB grouping known to man. ever

I think this will be interesting as Z Brown has been vocal about his ability to play the run. and he was brought n to cover TEs most likely. That could be any down or Pats two TE sets

I see these guys as matchup nightmares.

I just got excited again. And i have no idea about Hawthorne from the Saints. Some like Rob Quinn or Erik Turner shows up with highlight film on him I must just be over the top with enthusiasm.

1) It's better this happened now rather than in-season so Spikes has time to get the system down.

2) It says a lot about the value of run stuffing LB's that one of the best was available for cheap two weeks into training camp............you really gotta' find guys to fill that role later in the draft.

"Filling a need" with a "starter" was warm and fuzzy but thumpers like Ragnuts depreciate faster after draft day than a Hyundai.

1) It's better this happened now rather than in-season so Spikes has time to get the system down.

2) It says a lot about the value of run stuffing LB's that one of the best was available for cheap two weeks into training camp............you really gotta' find guys to fill that role later in the draft.

"Filling a need" with a "starter" was warm and fuzzy but thumpers like Ragnuts depreciate faster after draft day than a Hyundai.

Spikes got snapped up by the Pats* last year and he probably would have gotten a contract this season if it wasn't for his off-season issue last year. I think that what made Ragland stand out from your typical MLB "Thumper" was his ability to play in coverage and his blitzing ability. Ragland's coverage ability isn't great but he showed flashes to be able to do decently in coverage and he was an effective blitzer which means there were a lot of ways to keep him on the field on third down.

Spikes who is a good run defender isn't valued because he is susceptible to no huddle offenses and one third of the time he isn't effective. Ragland has a lot of ability to stay on the field.

Edited by billsfan89

totally underplaying the situation

Ragland can also rush the passer in certain situations......Rex thinks he is a 150 tackle a year guy

Those guys do NOT grow on trees

Spikes got snapped up by the Pats* last year and he probably would have gotten a contract this season if it wasn't for his off-season issue last year. I think that what made Ragland stand out from your typical MLB "Thumper" was his ability to play in coverage and his blitzing ability. Ragland's coverage ability isn't great but he showed flashes to be able to do decently in coverage and he was an effective blitzer which means there were a lot of ways to keep him on the field on third down.

Spikes who is a good run defender isn't valued because he is susceptible to no huddle offenses and one third of the time he isn't effective. Ragland has a lot of ability to stay on the field.

Hold up now B-) ......Spikes signed a cheap one year deal with the Patriots in late May of 2015........."snapped up" indicates an urgency that was not there and saying he "probably" would have gotten a contract this season is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Being able to survive on some passing downs certainly isn't the thing of legend either.

The point is that players at the position that aren't exceptional in the pass game are now REALLY expendable and that kind of easily disposable and cheap to buy second-hand asset is not a great way to utilize your early draft picks.

MLB/ILB was one of the deeper(and cheaper) positions in free agency and one a Bills team desperate to win-now should have addressed there rather than early on draft day.

The interesting thing to me is that I think Spikes fits well in Rex Ryan's system. It's a lot zone coverage between the hashes so you don't need to be able to flip hips and chase downfield so a lot of big LB's are somewhat protected in RR scheme.

Yet......the Bills had no use for him in any role at any cost last year. Guy was practically begging for work.

The Bills obviously made a lot of sketchy decisions last year but it's pretty easy to look back on a season where Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham were very often arguing with each other and not even looking at the offense at the snap and see that a more seasoned presence should have been in the mix there.

Edited by #BADOL

totally underplaying the situation

Ragland can also rush the passer in certain situations......Rex thinks he is a 150 tackle a year guy

Those guys do NOT grow on trees

He isn't great in coverage and can rush the passer in certain situations.

Man......ringing endorsements.

But in comes Rex to tell us how great he is.

John who are these great LB's you are comparing him to?

I wish the guy luck but he is just another solid ILB prospect.......something readily available with experience and cheap in free agency.

I feel like Brandon Spikes is Reggie Ragland with more experience. Not too big of a drop off in playing styles except Spikes can be a huge liability on third down in coverage cause he's slow. Those of you in the know...is that the knock on Ragland too?

Edited by BeefCurtns

I feel like Brandon Spikes is Reggie Ragland with more experience. Not too big of a drop off in playing styles except Spikes can be a huge liability on third down in coverage cause he's slow. Those of you in the know...is that the knock on Ragland too?

this is a bit over blown. He was not a liability in pass protection for us. And only was for the patriots because they had weak DB's and Jamie Collins can't do it all.

He only had one play where he completely whiffed on pass defense. Other than that he was fine as can be expected in pass d